2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
101 members (AnnaF, An Old Square, AndreaH, Animisha, Boylan, beeboss, Andy R, brdwyguy, anamnesis, anotherscott, 21 invisible), 1,290 guests, and 454 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I think it is cheating, I never edit my recordings.
I rather upload something with mistakes than edit.
And I record with Pianoteq which is far more easy to edit than a WAVE file - just open MIDI file in a DAW...

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
I am in the process of recording a piano/vocal classical album, and we have edits all over the place. I'm not sure if there's a single track that is just one complete take. There are pros and cons to working this way, I think, but it's true that if we waited for a perfect take, we'd still be waiting.

I don't view "cheating" as being part of the equation in any way. We are creating a product, using technology. We're not trying to fool anyone into thinking we are super-human performers. If the product is worth listening to, it's worth listening to either way.

F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
If i were recording i'd do several takes of the same song. Each one a complete package. I play a lot live, so i "smooth over" rather than stopping and starting over. I can punch in and punch out but as i said, i just don't. I learned how much practice it takes for me to play something live, and that's what i do. The more you do it, the better it works. Sure, as been said, nothing is perfect, but there's a close enough level that seems sort of obvious to me. Still, I could record for ten hours and hate it all. If you can like listening back to whatever you record, you are miles ahead of me.

nada
H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
Let me clarify - If you record yourself for commercial purpose than I think it is not cheating, but if you record yourself to show your abilities than it is cheating.

Like in my Soundcloud page - If I'm uploading there a recording of myself playing I want to show my honest abilities so I record in one shot, it may take a lot tries but I don't want to cheat.

Last edited by hag01; 08/18/19 08:29 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Was it cheating in the early 50s when Lennie Tristano recorded this solo

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=B0XXiko6QlU

Then he played it back the tape twice as fast and his rhythm section (drums and bass) played along.

What LT got was a super-hyper-articulated solo with nuance that most people aren’t ever going to get. He definitely was recording for commercial purposes (he wanted to sell records like everything else). But he also recorded that way for artistic reasons. To get a sound that you couldn’t get any other way.

Here’s an article about the recording (and others he made in the same way).

https://www.arpjournal.com/asarpwp/...e-of-extended-studio-techniques-in-jazz/

The first few paragraphs describe the anger and shock at the time and how Atlantic even issued a disclaimer for records he made after that!

So maybe you gotta ask: Do we listen to music because we like how it sounds? Or do we listen because we’re interested first and foremost in the technical (athletic) ability of the performer?

I’ve had plenty of students who hated the way the piano sounds on the recording because for our (and their) contemporary ears, it sounds like, well, a piano part that’s been sped up! Part of that is entire overtone structure of the piano changes ... Especially, higher partials that you’d want to have in a piano recording are no longer there .... they’ve gone up an octave to where they can’t influence the sound of the piano or what we hear or what could even be recorded back in those days.

If you go over to the world of classical music, some of Elliott Carter’s first string quartets were recorded to click tracks because the tempo changes were too difficult. Now string quartets have no problem with any of that and they dont use click tracks when they record those quartets. But again, was it the sound of the piece Elliott Carter was after or the technical (athletic) ability of the performers?

Everyone can make up their own mind about how they feel or like about this stuff. I’m just pointing out some of the history behind it and some of the reactions. But my own opinion is sound wins and final product is more important than technique. But that’s me and I realise and acknowledge that not everyone feels that way ...

D
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
D
Great post, Mark. Actually, Lennie recorded Line Up for himself only. what happened is that Ahmet Ertegun (Pres of Atlantic records) visited Lennie's studio, and saw a tape lying on a shelf. He asked what is was, and it was Line Up etc..this is how these historic tracks came to be released haha.

Dave Frank

Last edited by Dfrankjazz; 08/18/19 10:07 AM.
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Dave, and great story with those extra details!

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Dfrankjazz
Great post, Mark. Actually, Lennie recorded Line Up for himself only. what happened is that Ahmet Ertegun (Pres of Atlantic records) visited Lennie's studio, and saw a tape lying on a shelf. He asked what is was, and it was Line Up etc..this is how these historic tracks came to be released haha.

Dave Frank

and a good thing he did it, Im still digesting and learning from this 10 years after I first transcribed it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pleyel 1846 advice on purchase please!
by AnnaF - 01/27/22 09:33 AM
How do I find current selling price for my piano?
by AndreaH - 01/27/22 09:11 AM
An Interesting day recording . .
by peterws - 01/27/22 08:46 AM
High pitch ringing on mi3
by elmarmarmar - 01/27/22 08:41 AM
ARSM pieces
by Chrisandellie - 01/27/22 08:25 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,380
Posts3,164,395
Members104,184
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission