2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
41 members (ElaineAllegro, CyberGene, accordeur, anotherscott, Dore, BlakeOR, AWilley, Archipelago, 8 invisible), 437 guests, and 605 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
dmd #2877578 08/08/19 09:50 AM
B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Great paintings! I like the dog smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
dmd #2877608 08/08/19 10:23 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks, Dudes!

My paintings do not normally get much praise from the other artists at WetCanvas.com. It is very hard showing my work at all considering the beautiful paintings other artists create. Someday, I hope my grandkids come to appreciate looking at them and that is the only reason I paint. For them.

Nahum: I was being totally serious. I can barely write my name. And never, ever the same twice. I have zero control in my right hand. Painting just requires huge amounts of patience and practice. And, following the best artists on YouTube...

The painting of my Yorkshire Terrier, Duncan is my favorite. I painted that about a month after he passed. It was a very easy painting to paint since I knew everything I could know about my subject matter. It makes a huge difference in knowing your subject from every angle. The paint really does flow easier if you can visualize what you are painting. The painting does almost paint itself. It's true what they say.

Thanks again, guys! blush

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
dmd #2877619 08/08/19 10:34 AM
D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Wow …. this Painting topic sure took off. LOL ….

Who knew …

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, KRK 5" Studio Monitors
dmd #2877622 08/08/19 10:42 AM
Ooh, such lovely paintings! Had a great time going through these :))

Think Twice, Play Once
dmd #2877623 08/08/19 10:45 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A very interesting idea. I find that now I’m more advanced I can now play “easy” arrangements with just a bit of practice. I’m happy if I get to the point I can dig out a book of easy Xmas tunes and entertain my family. But this is something to mull over.

dmd #2877628 08/08/19 10:59 AM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for taking the time and kind words Tech-Key!

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
N
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by HwyStar

Nahum: I was being totally serious. I can barely write my name. And never, ever the same twice. I have zero control in my right hand.
I completely believe you ; I have exactly the same congenital problem in right hand as yours (focal hand dystonia), and putting a signature on the check make a problem. I could never draw a straight line or circle, and now even less than ever; however, he never doubted that this had nothing to do with the ability to draw - just like typing on a comp's keyboard isn't related to the piano playing (only general physical problems).

Can only envy!

dmd #2877669 08/08/19 01:22 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I had never heard of "focal hand dystonia". I looked it up at Hand Dystonia and it does describe some or most of the feelings I get when I write. Which by the way is, I hardly ever write, and if I do it is only in non-cursive mode (print). Stright line? What is that? Circle? Buy a compass.

Thanks, Nahum for presenting the idea of Focal Hand Dystonia and that it's not me! Everyone has always laughed at my writing skills or lack of!

N
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by HwyStar
Stright line? What is that?

Originally Posted by Nahum

I could never draw a straight line

https://www.google.com/search?q=str...AUIECgB&biw=1242&bih=597#imgrc=_

dmd #2877692 08/08/19 02:11 PM
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Right. ^^^

And here I thought Grammarly had me covered. Go to your room, Grammarly.

Urban Dictionary: "Yo you guys wana go grab some food and pick up the girls?" "yeah son thats stright".

dmd #2877706 08/08/19 02:41 PM
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
so , here is what I would say, about the instructor and you...

having a teacher will help you learn various techniques, so really a good instructor should teach you various theoretical techniques whether it may be drawing or piano, BUT

… it is your job to learn those techniques and expand on those..

whether or not it is artistic is kind of trivial, but I know this is proven way to get better..kind of like when you go to college, you learn fundamentals about something but work world you have to make best use as required or needed etc.

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Originally Posted by Tech-key
Nice thread!

One of my favourite instructional Youtube channels (Proko), posted this quote very recently. I really liked it, so adding it here smile

“First we draw what we see; then we draw what we know; finally we see what we know” - Robert Beverly Hale

Nice, I like that.

You might find this video interesting (I think this progression can be seen in music, too): https://youtu.be/FW0-ygwYCSQ

T
Ted Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by dogperson
No, I would only feel like an artist if I could take an image, either physical or mental, that was not taught by Rembrandt and paint in my own unique style. Then I would feel like an artist.

Once again I concur with dogperson, and the same goes for musical creation. Nobody, no matter how famous, can possibly tell me how I ought to feel about either image or sound. I don't want to dream someone else's dream.

Last edited by Ted; 08/09/19 12:18 AM.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
dmd #2877892 08/09/19 01:07 AM
Originally Posted by MichaelJK
Nice thread!

One of my favourite instructional Youtube channels (Proko), posted this quote very recently. I really liked it, so adding it here smile

“First we draw what we see; then we draw what we know; finally we see what we know” - Robert Beverly Hale

Nice, I like that.

You might find this video interesting (I think this progression can be seen in music, too): https://youtu.be/FW0-ygwYCSQ

Thanks for the link, Michael! Very interesting breakdown. In music, I think I’m slowly making my way up from the “Symbol” stage. My drawing skills, though, are just all over the place. Can’t decide a stage. I’ve no idea what I do, but everything I draw looks wrong to me, haha. Should probably go back to basics.

Think Twice, Play Once
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
My drawing skills, though, are just all over the place. Can’t decide a stage. I’ve no idea what I do, but everything I draw looks wrong to me, haha. Should probably go back to basics.

That's not true! I've seen your pencil drawings Tech-key and they are excellent and beautiful! smile

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
dmd #2877971 08/09/19 07:20 AM
Thanks Tyrone! That’s very kind of you. Though, I had only shown you what turned out ok. grin Had spent way too much time on that to correct whatever felt off.

Think Twice, Play Once
dmd #2881799 08/20/19 07:05 PM
M
M
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by dogperson
No, I would only feel like an artist if I could take an image, either physical or mental, that was not taught by Rembrandt and paint in my own unique style. Then I would feel like an artist.

BINGO !

That is the basic thought that motivated this thread.

I have been playing (copying others) piano for some time now and am questioning my method for learning to play piano.

I got tired of classical piano years ago because I could no longer tolerate the repetitive nature of practicing a piece over and over and over and over …..

I migrated into jazz/cocktail.

However, I started down the path of having someone show me how to play and then mimicking it.

It may have sounded like I could play …. but I was still copying someone else's version.

I have now started to play jazz standards by playing only a BASS note in the left hand and a MELODY note in the right hand.

You might be surprised as to how satisfying that can be ...as you begin to play freely with emotion and dynamics for the first time in your life.

And that happens because you are now freed up from having to pay too much attention to what you are playing instead of how you play it.

Of course, as I grow tired of my BASS and MELODY version, I will begin to add CHORD TONES here and there between the BASS and MELODY.

I do that without regard for the BEST voicing. I just add what occurs to me and as long as I maintain TEMPO and play with CONFIDENCE, it sounds just fine.

My audience (family and friends) enjoys it and so do I.

It does not get better than that.

So, my point is ….. If you are not enjoying your learning to play, maybe you should take a look at your process. It might need adjusting.

I encourage any additional comments and contribution to this concept.

Hi Don

You sound lost! You know it is only guide tones that dictate the harmony ie 3-7 followed by 7-3 etc. Anything to make nice voice leading. It is the basis of western music. This can be done in one hand or either hand to support the melody, just dont over-think it. As long as you have the 3rd and 7th you are golden. But I think you know this????

D
dmd Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by misspiggy
Hi Don

You sound lost!

Well, that is basically true.

I am not clear on a direction to take …. so I am as you say … lost.

I call it floundering.

I have been here before.

I have recently subscribed to …. PianoGroove.Com

https://www.pianogroove.com/

I think I am going to find a way forward there.

I had previously been a member so I know what it offers.

I just have to … Start at the beginning …. fill in the holes in my foundation …. and take the time to do things well and not hurry through the lessons.

Took me a while to learn that but I think I may have now.

Of course, I thought I had learned that before but turns out I hadn't. LOL ….

I will know more in a few months.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, KRK 5" Studio Monitors
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
[You might find this video interesting (I think this progression can be seen in music, too): https://youtu.be/FW0-ygwYCSQ

I really like this video. I have a "what if". What if a person can be at several of those stages, and/or not necessarily in that order?

N
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
N

This is a very nice video! And the eternal thought reappears: each movement of the hand reveals the image originally laid in the brain, first sketchy, then detailed. This is the problem of life for me: I catch the image scheme, but the details instantly disappear. Hence, an attempt to parse the image into small details, and focus on each of them and realize what I see, and then portray, can take a completely abnormal period of time; think months.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
The real pop book v3?
by Sebs - 05/05/21 10:35 PM
1997 Young Chang G Model
by texasheat - 05/05/21 10:10 PM
An embarassing first piano lesson
by total_beginner - 05/05/21 05:56 PM
Grand piano geometry question
by TTWK - 05/05/21 05:48 PM
Queen Elisabeth Piano Competition 2021
by AndresVel - 05/05/21 04:44 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,738
Posts3,090,194
Members101,421
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission