2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (David B, anotherscott, CaseyVancouver, cmb13, ambrozy, Bchig, 36251, 9 invisible), 505 guests, and 579 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Specially practice logging apps. A lot of them require $$. I don’t mind paying if it’s good, but I was hoping people could share their experience. I just downloaded one called “practice notes” for iPhone (icon is sky blue with an 8th note). What I like: it has a timer that you start when you begin your piece, you can pause if you get up from piano, easy to use. You enter each individual piece that you need to practice and the amount of time you are planning on spending on it. What I don’t like: there doesn’t seem to be anything to do with the data. No graphs, no summaries etc.

Any suggestions?

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
J
J
I use old fashioned pen & note book... while I am a heavy user of IPhone and all sorts of apps, there is a point where returning to basics make sense...

Started piano studies at age 55.The journey is more important than the result.
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I don't understand the need to keep a record of every minute spent working on every individual piece. Perhaps you could explain why that is of such importance to you. If that is the way you practice, isn't a pencil and paper satisfactory?

I know we are all different, but: When I am working on a piece, I isolate sections that need work and work on them until either I have solved the problem I was working on or I have reached a point where I need to put the piece or section aside and work on something else.

I've never felt the need to keep a record of the number of minutes I have worked on a section because the results speak for themselves: either I have made progress or the section needs still more work. Frame of mind, attitude, energy, fatigue all determine whether I persevere, whether I turn to something else or whether I take a break for coffee.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I don't understand the need to keep a record of every minute spent working on every individual piece. Perhaps you could explain why that is of such importance to you. If that is the way you practice, isn't a pencil and paper satisfactory?

I know we are all different, but: When I am working on a piece, I isolate sections that need work and work on them until either I have solved the problem I was working on or I have reached a point where I need to put the piece or section aside and work on something else.

I've never felt the need to keep a record of the number of minutes I have worked on a section because the results speak for themselves: either I have made progress or the section needs still more work. Frame of mind, attitude, energy, fatigue all determine whether I persevere, whether I turn to something else or whether I take a break for coffee.

Regards,

Hi Bruce -

I tend to get carried away on working on a single piece for too long, and then by the time I am ready to move on to the next piece, I don't want to practice anymore. I want to be able to section my practice off so I can make a sensible plan so nothing gets missed. I do not like pencil and paper because it requires me to look at the time and write it down, then do subtraction to figure out exactly how many minutes that was. Also if I go to the bathroom how much time should I subtract etc. I have tried pen and paper before and it's not me. I like numbers and analysis. I find graphs of my progress to be motivational. I find my unstructured practice has only gotten me so far, and now that I'm at a higher level I can't get away with the unstructured practice anymore. I end up working on my fave pieces and my technique and studies go several days without being worked on.

Sara

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Sara:

Thanks for your perspective.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I use my timer app, "Now Then", at every practice session. Ages ago I used a pencil and paper and just wrote down minutes, but that is really more trouble than using an app. When I start working on a particular piece, I start the timer. Want to know how long I have been on this piece? Look at the timer. Want to know how long I have been practicing? Look at the timer. And there is no cheating - maybe it feels like I did 30', but the app doesn't lie.

You add your own pieces ("tasks") to the timer, so the main screen has all my current projects in a list. Very nice. Since I am trying to juggle a lot of pieces, that keeps me from forgetting something. When was the last time I worked on X? The app knows. How much time did I spend on Y last week? The app knows.

So using an app is very helpful for me. "Now Then" is just a general task timer, not designed specifically for timing practice, so that is my only complaint about it.

Sam

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
You know I've not really looked at any practice logging apps until I read this so I poked at a few. I found Modacity (https://www.modacity.co) which I've been playing with. It's pretty neat. It lets you put in a lot of detail in the notes, including allowing you to easily break out "sub headings" as you start to focus on specific parts. It also has an integrated recorder and a neat timeline feature to listen to playing the piece over time. And, it adds a metronome too which seemed like a nice touch. Anyway might be worth a try for you, I'm going to give it a go and see how I like it. My only complaint so far is the font they use is quite small, even with my readers on it seems tiny. I'm going to try it for a week and see what I think.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
I don't understand the benefit of charts and graphs but I did come to conclusion I needed to set target times on the pieces I was learning. Eg I wanted to stop just playing the piece a couple of times a day, then saying to myself I had finished that piece for the day. So I came up with some targets depending on the piece. Generally, I doubled the amount of time I would spend on any one piece, but in easy increments (10, 20, 30, 40 minutes). I bought a cheap timer and I fill in the results to an excel spreadsheet. Although I put in the time spent on the piece, it is really just ticking off that I played the piece on this day. I find this sort of documentation just keeps me honest, and the increased time on pieces has paid off as you would expect.

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Happy birthday earlofmar!

Learner
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks for the insight Sam. Is it easy to remove old pieces when you are finished with them? I think I’ll try this one.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Thanks for the insight Sam. Is it easy to remove old pieces when you are finished with them? I think I’ll try this one.

Easy to delete - just swipe right.

You can also make folders. I have a technique folder with scales and arpeggios and so forth that I keep track of.

Sam

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Okay I played around a bit with it and like it so far. I really like the colour coding. I made pieces in blues and technique in pinks.

I tried to download modacity but I couldn’t get it to work. I may try again tomorrow.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The Better Practice App looks interesting, but haven’t had a chance to test it. Subscription is US$4 / month (free for teachers). Has categories to Learn, Master and Maintain pieces, plus spaced repetition for smarter practice.

Website - https://betterpracticeapp.com/

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
E
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by malkin
Happy birthday earlofmar!

why thankyou. Funny how my piano birthday has been taking on more importance than actual birthday smile

Surprisingly easy, barely an inconvenience.

Kawai K8 & Kawai Novus NV10

13x[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Groove On
The Better Practice App looks interesting, but haven’t had a chance to test it. Subscription is US$4 / month (free for teachers). Has categories to Learn, Master and Maintain pieces, plus spaced repetition for smarter practice.

What is spaced repetition?

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
I've tried a couple of times to keep track of what I practice on paper. It lasts for a couple of days, and then I just go back to keeping track of it in my head smirk

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
H
H
Hello, Sara, and pianist friends. I have been using the ForScore application on an Ipad pro to keep all my scores and read music. I really like it; allows one to take all the music library on a single piece of equipment anywhere along with email, podcasts, web browsing, etc.
ForScore has a function called Dashboard which keeps track of all the pieces which have been displayed (one assumes, therefore, played) over time. I don’t look at it too often, but it is a rather convenient way to track both time played daily and the pieces being worked on.

Henri in Florida
1959 Mason & Hamlin model B (my pride and joy!)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
Originally Posted by Groove On

What is spaced repetition?

Spaced Repetiton is the idea that it’s more effective to study in short bursts over many practice sessions vs. studying everything in one long practice session.

For example, it’s more effective to repeat a passage 20x times daily for 5 days vs. doing 100 repetitions all at once.

It also makes it more likely that you’ll do focused, quality repetitions vs. mindless ones.

Associated with Spaced Repetition is the idea that if something is easy, you might schedule practice times further apart while for things that are hard, you might schedule more frequently. For example, you might practice the most difficult sections of a piece 2x daily for 5 days, but the easiest parts you practice every 3 days.

The Better Practice App referenced above helps you schedule practice sessions by using Spaced Repetiton.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
M
M
There's a little more than that about spaced repetition. Yes, short bursts and many sessions are part of it which is a good way to use traditional flashcards. But computer flashcards and other SR tools repeat the items you have missed a bit more often than the items that you haven't missed.

http://www.flashcardlearner.com/articles/what-is-spaced-repetition/

500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Thanks I'm going to look at those links.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Komplete Kontrol S88 MK1 Touchkeys
by Micahjd - 05/16/21 07:26 PM
Piano out of tune?
by TheodorN - 05/16/21 04:10 PM
iOS Pianos on iPad POLL
by RinTin - 05/16/21 01:50 PM
I can quit any time I want to ...
by Retsacnal - 05/16/21 01:42 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,967
Posts3,094,277
Members101,538
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission