2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
64 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, 8 invisible), 1,795 guests, and 315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 66 of 237 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 236 237
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JJHLH
I just purchased (ordered) an N1X. The dealer said they are backordered and it will probably be a month or month and a half before delivery. I’m looking forward to joining the club

19! : Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR, JJHLH.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will be playing one tomorrow or Thursday and maybe joining the list too.

We played a CLP-645 yesterday and the samples sounded good to us. Will be sure to report back what we decide.

Are there any plans for a new AG motorcycle gang being formed? Crotch-rockets optional of course? I used to have a CBR600 at one time until I realized it was going to kill me for sure. Those pesky cars.

Congrats JJHLH!

Last edited by HwyStar; 07/09/19 01:36 PM.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! After a few months with the N1X, I'm still thrilled to be playing it.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
U
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
U
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
I just purchased (ordered) an N1X. The dealer said they are backordered and it will probably be a month or month and a half before delivery. I’m looking forward to joining the club

19! : Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR, JJHLH.

About time Yamaha gives a discount for being a pianoworld forum member!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
What do you mean by this?
Originally Posted by U3piano

Originally Posted by U3piano

Except we purchase from dealers, not directly from Yamaha...

Yamaha should help take the forum off life support with a big banner ad!

Frank can change the name to “PianoWorld by Yamaha” thumb

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
K
K
Originally Posted by kipdent
OK, everyone--I have an update on two of the three issues from my original post after a Yamaha technician came out this past week. Issue #2 was the fallboard not being able to be raised all the way without hitting the backside of the black keys. It turns out that the fallboard has a pin on each side that is really part of a larger metal bracket, screwed into the fallboard at each end. Apparently the metal used for this bracket is not as strong as perhaps it should have been, and on mine, *both* brackets got bent, either in shipment or poor assembly or in some other way (who knows). The technician ordered two new brackets which will take several days to arrive, but in the meantime, he manually bent them back closer to where they should be, and voila! The fallboard now opens all the way without hitting the black keys. I've enclosed a picture (sorry for the blurry closeup) that shows how much the bracket got bent. The arrow on the right shows how straight the bracket should be against the fallboard, and the arrow on the left shows how much it got bent and the space under the bracket that was created. I'm pleased it can be fixed.

[Linked Image]

For issue #3, the noisy damper pedal, the technician felt there was too much sideways play in it and ordered a replacement. When it gets installed, I'll report back on whether it fixed the issue or not.

Issue #1, the perception of a distorted sound, remains unresolved. The technician felt it was just "the way the sample sounds." Not encouraging, but I love everything else about the N1X so much that I'm sure I'll get used to it if it never gets resolved.

Well, the second visit by the Yamaha technician who just left appears to have done the trick, and all three of my original issues have been resolved. First, the bent hinges on the fallboard--believe it or not--are NOT available as separate parts. You'd think the factory would have a bin of these laying around, but since they are not available, they replaced the ENTIRE fallboard with a new one. At least gloss black is easy to match! And the new fallboard operates flawlessly. The noisy damper pedal seems to have been addressed by me putting a rubber furniture pad underneath the support screw, and I really don't notice it any more. The final issue of the "distorted" sound I was hearing was a little tougher to fix, but fixed it was.

It turns out that there are several components mounted directly on the inner surface of the back board of the piano, and the tech at first thought something must be loose or maybe a wire was touching the back board and vibrated against it when certain notes were played. But once we determined we could get it to make the same sound by just rapping the back of the backboard to create a buzzing sound, he traced it to some left-over wood shavings from the manufacturing process that got caught between the junction of the left side panel and the rest of the piano. Once these were removed, the distorted sound was eliminated. I remember another post here where someone complained of hearing a distorted sound, so if it happens to any new or potential buyers of the N1X, don't give up hope--it just may be able to be addressed.

Now on to hours of more fun playing this wonderful instrument!

S
S
Hi together,

Just want to say I joined the party partly due to this thread here!

I am a piano beginner and moved rapidly up from NI Total Control to MP11SE and now the N1X. I played the grand piano at my music school and this one is the only one that comes close from the feeling in my opinion. Also my calculation is that even if I buy a grand piano in a year or 2 I can still use this as a great instrument for night sessions or Sundays (not allowed to play in a flat on Sundays in switzerland).

WHich leads me to the 2 biggest plus from my beginners ears:

The action feels great and close to the Yamaha grand from my school and also the sound through headphones in the N1X sounds phenomenal! I got focal clear headphones and sennheiser 600 and the piano really comes alive and thats coming from someone who always prefers speakers over headphones.

The thing I am not really sold on yet are the internal speakers. They sound good but I am really sensitive and got high end studio and hifi setups (HEDD TYpe 30 and Nubert NuVero140s) which sound way better in my opinion. May be I can adjust room accoustics as I have quite some hall in my 4 meter high ceiling 100 sqm loft. So it sounds good but I think the build in speakers hold off the true potential of this instrument.

In general I love this thing anbd my neighbors will like the fact that I play now headhones from time to time so they dont have to suffer jingle bells in summer 100 times in a row smile

Cheers,

Stefan

Last edited by StefVR; 07/12/19 08:42 AM.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Stefan, welcome to the club! smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with you too, StefVR of the internal speaker's evaluation. I did get the chance to play the N1X on Wednesday for the first time and the speakers did not do it for me or my wife. Too much mid-range based upon the size of the speakers and cabinet size. The CFX sample sounded great using headphones and it reminded us both of a very clean Steinway.

Nord Grand, Kawai MP11 (v1), iMac 2017, Yamaha HS8's, Sennheiser 650, Focusrite 2i4, Pianoteq 6.4.0, Steinway Model A, Mason and Hamlin Model AA, Piano Marvel: 3C
In most cases a pair of $200 speakers will best what you find inside a piano. But your HEDD monitors make piano speakers a complete, utter, total non-starter.

So isn't it a **bit** of understatement when you say "I am not really sold on yet are the internal speakers." <chuckle>

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I agree with the Mac'ster. $3,999 per monitor via Amazon kind of over-shadows the N1X a bit.

O
O
Been following this thread for a while. Ordered my N1X and it should be delivered Friday! smile

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Onyx
Been following this thread for a while. Ordered my N1X and it should be delivered Friday! smile

Welcome to the club, I hope you will love it as much as we do smile And that's a pretty fast delivery if you mean you just ordered it.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
O
O
Well, I actually ordered it 3 weeks ago. Made final payment and scheduled delivery last thursday.

J
J
Originally Posted by Onyx

Congratulations Onyx. How exciting! You should have a great weekend for sure!

Yamaha N1X, P-515.
Genelec 8331 monitors and 7350 sub.
VI’s: Garritan CFX, VSL Bösendorfer Upright, and VSL Blüthner 1895. Pianoteq.
H
H
Out of curiosity - what piano sound do you guys use? While extensively trying the N1X this weekend, I found #4 to be significantly clearer and deeper than other ones, that in comparison sounded more muffled (not just less bright, I actually mean a bit muffled).

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Oooh! We hit a milestone number: 20!

Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR, JJHLH, Onyx.

Welcome Onyx!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hecarim
Out of curiosity - what piano sound do you guys use? While extensively trying the N1X this weekend, I found #4 to be significantly clearer and deeper than other ones, that in comparison sounded more muffled (not just less bright, I actually mean a bit muffled).

Through speakers I strongly prefer #2, I generally like mellower European pianos.

Through headphones, #1 is a clear winner due to the binaural sampling, there's not even a comparison.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P

Oooh! We hit a milestone number: 20!

Euler1707, CyberGene, pianokat123, J5on, Amy C, Bro', jgbs, Tyrone Slothrop, David B, Chrispy, percy64, nax, Canticle80, kipdent, Haruki, RobertInFlorida, stewart715, StefVR, JJHLH, Onyx.

Welcome Onyx!

Ok, so I have to ask. If you get to 40 do you get your own sub forum? smile

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
Page 66 of 237 1 2 64 65 66 67 68 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission