2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by jamiecw

Lastly, I haven't tried the Casio action on these new PXS so cannot vouch how good/bad it is. I have played on the FP action though and that I can say from a personal experience and viewpoint that it's a great action for the price range of the FP10 (the sound is so so though because the speakers are positioned on the underneath of the unit).

Action on Roland FP10 is the same as in FP30. It's very nice. Much better than Yamaha's GHS and a bit better than new Casios.

I don't want to give you a conundrum here but maybe you see where I am going with this. The Casio probably sounds better but the Roland probably plays better...however, going back to my first point, none of the above will probably matter to a complete beginner (because in this case, ignorance is bliss).

No, no, no. I don't get all that excitement about it. Casio does not sound near as nice as Roland. On FP-10 you have the same good old Supernatural piano, which you can find on FP80, RD300/700NX series. Good dynamic range, no looping, interesting Steinway-ish metallic timbre. I've tried new PX-S series. They sound better than old Privias, but still plasticy and plinky-plonky. I've owned PX320 and later PX5-S, so I'm not a Casio-hater. It's just not the level of Roland's APs.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie

No, no, no. I don't get all that excitement about it. Casio does not sound near as nice as Roland. On FP-10 you have the same good old Supernatural piano, which you can find on FP80, RD300/700NX series. Good dynamic range, no looping, interesting Steinway-ish metallic timbre. I've tried new PX-S series. They sound better than old Privias, but still plasticy and plinky-plonky. I've owned PX320 and later PX5-S, so I'm not a Casio-hater. It's just not the level of Roland's APs.

I am with you (Roland > Casio), was trying to sound less of a snob towards Casio, but you are right let's call it what it is.

M
M
Thank you very much guys. Considering that I am interested in only piano sounds I should choose between the Pxs1000 and the FP-10. The problem here in India is that you cannot try them before buying as the pianos are not kept on open display. It makes choosing one difficult as you then have to rely on forums and youtube videos to make a choice.
Should the apps (Chordana and Piano Partner) make a difference to my decision to choose between Casio and Roland? I would be using the app quite a lot as i am a beginner.

A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
*Disclaimer

When I was talking about piano sound, I meant headphone sound. I have no idea, how PX-S speakers play, nor I have about FP10. I had FP30 for a while and there it was great for such a small instrument (a bit too much bass).

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by macbit

Should the apps (Chordana and Piano Partner) make a difference to my decision to choose between Casio and Roland? I would be using the app quite a lot as i am a beginner.

I would not let the app steer my choice of a digital piano. I had a Casio in the past (AP470) and the Chordana app offers a Synthesia type deal with the built in songs and the novelty wore off very quickly and learned nothing from it. And if you want to learn to read music I'd steer clear from that because all you will learn is where to press (unless you are okay with that) - for me is a bit like trying to learn a new language by buying a tourist guide book with the most useful phrases..besides learning to read music is not that hard, it just needs practice like everything else in life.

The Roland app is pretty much an extension to the piano shortcut keys e.g. press this and that key to get this outcome...and if there are any built in songs it will show you the score.

PS the Casio is a two-sensor action whereas the Roland is a tri-sensor, (apparently the Casio does the tri-sensor in software). Also the Roland has escapement like real pianos do and it's a bonus to have but won't add much to your learning at this early stage in your path. Both are good IMO but I am edging towards the Roland because I had the FP30 and it was a good piano.

M
M
Thank you. I should be getting one of these in the next few days!

M
M
I was first excited about using Chordana Play for Piano with the PX-S 3000.
While it helps to navigate the sounds and rhythms as well as changing setups for splits, layers, dsp settings and so on, it fails as a piano teaching app.

I hope Casio will reintroduce the notes display for the midi player in Chordana Play for Piano as it is in the normal Chordana Play.
Why are there even two apps in the first place for almost the same thing but than crippled the new one?

Playing Songs by pressing keys for falling blocks is fun for simple songs and why not. Fun is important.
But how can you learn more complex and faster songs when suddenly whole walls of blocks fall towards you?

Reeding sheet music is more complicated in the beginning but very rewarding once it starts to make sense.
There are other apps that use sheet music and they are a great learning experience.

Last edited by Martin Kulig; 07/06/19 12:23 PM.
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Steve.L
Originally Posted by U3piano
Originally Posted by Steve.L
I'd only need the S1000 piano sounds, but I would like to occasionally record .wav files to a USB stick. I believe only the S3000 can do that. Not sure it's worth $200 more for that particular feature, tho.

If it's really just occasionally, and you don't want to buy the S3000 just for that function, maybe you could do it by connecting the line out to a pc?
Ya, that would work, along with some audio capture software on the PC. Not as convenient as just sticking a USB stick into the piano, tho.

AFAIK, it's bluetooth receive-only for audio. No outgoing bluetooth. Not even for MIDI, like the ES110 in the same price range. ES110 can't stream BT audio, however.

You’d also need either a recording interface to do digitization, or a VST piano or other piano engine than can generate digital output. The Casio cannot generate digital PCM output. You can output either analog or midi from the PX-S1000. You can route analog output through a recording interface to do A/D conversion or you can have a VST to receive midi and generate digital content. Some midi modules (e.g. integra-7, motif) will do digital output.

Reading Piano World with Javascript turned off (no logins, no ads, fast response times). I will receive PMs.
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
I couldn't discern any real difference between the action on the PX-S and the older PX series. The Casio action seems to have just the right hammer bounce to feel alive... unlike the comparable Yamaha's at Guitar Center, which felt quite dead and dull to me. Obviously, the Casio action is not the Grand Feel II, but it's a great compromise given the portable design.

I couldn't discern any difference in sound either between the PX-S and older PX, but I didn't have headphones and a sound comparison is otherwise impossible at GC. Although the speakers are facing the back, and might do well against a wall, there are sound ports in the Casio pointed at the player.

There's always Pianoteq, amirite?

List of tones on the PX-S3000 here.

C
C
Sorry for hijacking thread a bit - is there a PX-3000 equivalent (lightweight stage piano, speakers, plenty of sounds, relative price point, good action) but with Midi Out - so can be used to control external keyboard? Nearly pulled trigger on this but ideally need this function

Thanks in advance

CR

M
M
Originally Posted by Crusaderrabbit
Sorry for hijacking thread a bit - is there a PX-3000 equivalent (lightweight stage piano, speakers, plenty of sounds, relative price point, good action) but with Midi Out - so can be used to control external keyboard? Nearly pulled trigger on this but ideally need this function

Thanks in advance

CR

The is another Casio: PX-560.

C
C
Ah yes - the PX-560. This would be the perfect solution in many ways except I just can't get to grips with the aesthetic of it - just looks cheap and plasticky to me (have seen/played it in person) - gives me zero GAS! Am really hoping Casio are bringing out a new version soon with the same/improved functionality but more of the look/feel of the PX-S3000 as that would be ideal

M
M
Ah yes - the PX-560. This would be the perfect solution in many ways except I just can't get to grips with the aesthetic of it - just looks cheap and plasticky to me (have seen/played it in person) - gives me zero GAS! Am really hoping Casio are bringing out a new version soon with the same/improved functionality but more of the look/feel of the PX-S3000 as that would be ideal

I bought a PX-560 because I took a great deal. From videos and pictures it can looks cheap because it´s colour and screen, but when I saw it at home I loved his color and it doesn't feel cheap as a whole. But it has some "cheap features", some buttons feel cheap (especially the turn on/off button), the spacing between white keys in uneven, it has a plastic stand, it has many sounds, some goods but many no so, and the piano sounds are just ok (or less).

M
M
One information I could not find on these new Casio models is if they have the hammer delay function. I had something like these in my old Roland but I could no find any difference but in the PX-560 is makes has huge impact to me. It is set by default to 0 (no delay) and it was very difficult to me to play trills and other fast note blocks, but when I set it to 5 or 6 I feel that the action become much more natural and that I could play trills much more easily.

C
C
I agree that the PX560 does actually look better in person than online, but it just doesn't do it for me. So many good features at such a good price point savings have had to be made elsewhere I think.

What I need is a good stage piano, with plenty of sounds, for under £1000, that's portable, (battery if possible) and has speakers so can 'busk' with it but then can also be used as a hammer action controller for something more synth like (MODX6 for example). Have limited budget but quite a few possible scenarios that apply gigging so trying to keep my options flexible by going with two boards.

M
M
I've bought the PX-560 because my old Roland reached a point of no return. I've no regrets, but if I could wait I would wait for a new model (today I will hang on for the PX-S5000) or save more money to buy something like a Kawai ES-8.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Sorry for hijacking thread a bit - is there a PX-3000 equivalent (lightweight stage piano, speakers, plenty of sounds, relative price point, good action) but with Midi Out - so can be used to control external keyboard?

Casio PX-360

M
M
hi.. after the help I received here I got myself the Roland FP-10 instead of the PXS1000. One of the reasons I didn't buy the Casio is the lack of Bluetooth midi. Spending $40 for an Apple lightning to camera adapter on top of the $100 extra for the piano was pushing the price out of my budget. I wonder why casio did not provide Bluetooth midi.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
hi.. after the help I received here I got myself the Roland FP-10 instead of the PXS1000. One of the reasons I didn't buy the Casio is the lack of Bluetooth midi. Spending $40 for an Apple lightning to camera adapter on top of the $100 extra for the piano was pushing the price out of my budget. I wonder why casio did not provide Bluetooth midi.

You’ve done yourself a huge favour - I held out commenting on the new PXS1/3K series as I’ve not try it till now. A mediocre action at best and a complete fabrication that it’s easily playable near the fall-board. Whoever says that just wants to sell them. Sorry, but it’s like that. On the other hand the FP10/30s PH4 action at least feels pianistic. The shop had them side by side and the difference is so obvious as to which one reigns on the touch department. Well done on your purchase - the Roland will carry you a fair way.

Last edited by jamiecw; 07/10/19 03:10 PM.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

You’ve done yourself a huge favour - I held out commenting on the new PXS1/3K series as I’ve not try it till now. A mediocre action at best and a complete fabrication that it’s easily playable near the fall-board. Whoever says that just wants to sell them. Sorry, but it’s like that. On the other hand the FP10/30s PH4 action at least feels pianistic. The shop had them side by side and the difference is so obvious as to which one reigns on the touch department. Well done on your purchase - the Roland will carry you a fair way.

I must be from the Bizzaro world because IMHO the Casio PX1000/3000 is the best of segment and very creative to play on. Maybe it's cause I play jazz gigs with it. I'll never be doing a classical recital on it. (LOL)

I can appreciate your candid review but wish you used "in my opinion at least once, since that's all it is."

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP
https://soundcloud.com/pete36251
Page 38 of 45 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission