2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (Aleks_MG, accordeur, brdwyguy, Carey, AlkansBookcase, 20/20 Vision, 36251, benkeys, 9 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
@TX-Bluebonnet: You didn't show up ... and I don't know why.
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
Could be there are more people, like me, who subscribed recently (June 2, Silver) but don't show up on the list yet.
Have a look at http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showmembers/sb/8/like/-1/page/19.html

You're there ... with no bronze/silver/gold/platinum notation. I don't know why.

The User List pages gave me the impression that very few people subscribe.
But your case suggests that the "badges" that should show in the User List are not showing up.
That is ... there are more subscribers that I've been led to believe.

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by CyberGene
As much as I love this forum, and with all due respect to Frank, but forums are a free thing by definition and should remain a free thing. They are not a business. I think he will realize that when he introduces the subscription.

Amen!

In the late 90's I was on an email list and the first forum I joined was the Beretta Forum in 2000. I subsequently became a moderator and participated on that forum and others for years. I've been a member of Dual Sport (motorcycle) forums, Mountain bike forums, gun forums, and now a piano forum. I've never paid (beyond voluntary donations) to participate in any of them. IMO, If you can't afford to run a forum then either shut it down or let someone else try.

I really appreciate Piano World. It has helped me immensely. It's the free exchange of ideas and easy access to a knowledge base via voluntary participation that makes all forums useful. I really don't see subscriptions improving those two areas.

As Solomon said, "To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:1). Perhaps the season for Piano World had come to an end. I hope not.

God Bless,
David

Last edited by David B; 07/04/19 11:49 PM.
OP Offline
You may expect a forum to be free. But it's hardly true say a forum is free by definition.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
@TX-Bluebonnet: You didn't show up ... and I don't know why.
Originally Posted by TX-Bluebonnet
Could be there are more people, like me, who subscribed recently (June 2, Silver) but don't show up on the list yet.
Have a look at http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showmembers/sb/8/like/-1/page/19.html

You're there ... with no bronze/silver/gold/platinum notation. I don't know why.

The User List pages gave me the impression that very few people subscribe.
But your case suggests that the "badges" that should show in the User List are not showing up.
That is ... there are more subscribers that I've been led to believe.

There's an update on Frank's original post. Apparently there's a glitch for some who paid, depending on the link that was used. He's working on getting it sorted out.

Linda

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Casio Privia PX-850 (home), Yamaha Upright (lessons)

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
You may expect a forum to be free. But it's hardly true say a forum is free by definition.

Agree completely. Frank does a lot to support this place, and he's not obliged to do it. He owns the site. If he wants to cover his costs and earn a living, he has a right to do that.

I'd like to think that enough people who value this place (and are able to do so) would contribute voluntarily at a level that would do the job. If not, either we'll survive as a coalition of the willing, or Frank will shut it down (or otherwise dispose of it) -- as is his right.

[Linked Image]

"Don't let the devil fool you -
Here comes a dove;
Nothing cures like time and love."

-- Laura Nyro
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
With all due respect, when you create a public forum where people help each other, discuss, express opinion, that's not a business. It's an idealistic place and you most probably created it with that purpose. You may ask for donations, for people to volunteer helping, etc. and even pay on your own, although I'm not suggesting that. When you at some point decide that you "own" the place and you deserve to be paid for it, outside the hosting/maintenance/support expenses, then I call this egoistical. Of course Frank is in his right to do whatever he likes to do with the forum, even if if that would lead to the forum's death. But I fail to see how something created of pure idealistic desire to gather people who love pianos would eventually turn into business.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
As soon as the owner obligates himself, signing contracts and commitments, it’s a business. He is the person responsible to pay the rent regardless if he gets donations or not.

Kawai NV10
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
OK, legally, it's a business of course, I'm not arguing for the sake of literal meaning of the words. A church may also be considered a business since it needs to pay electricity, property taxes, etc. but that doesn't mean it's a business per se. Sorry, I'm not familiar with legal stuff, what I'm saying is forums are a free thing. I've never seen one where I should pay to participate. Maybe I haven't been invited to such forums but I wouldn't join. I don't like the idea of people having to pay to exchange ideas. I'd be rather forum is closed entirely rather than being forced to death through subscriptions which I am pretty convinced is inevitable.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
With all due respect, when you create a public forum where people help each other, discuss, express opinion, that's not a business. It's an idealistic place and you most probably created it with that purpose. You may ask for donations, for people to volunteer helping, etc. and even pay on your own, although I'm not suggesting that. When you at some point decide that you "own" the place and you deserve to be paid for it, outside the hosting/maintenance/support expenses, then I call this egoistical. Of course Frank is in his right to do whatever he likes to do with the forum, even if if that would lead to the forum's death. But I fail to see how something created of pure idealistic desire to gather people who love pianos would eventually turn into business.

It will eventually turn into a business when the founder determines that the time spent to maintain the forum does not allow sufficient time to generate enough other income. Idealism is great but there may come that there is also a pragmatic consideration, evidently asking for donations, advertising and supply sales are not generating enough income

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
As much as I love this forum, and with all due respect to Frank, but forums are a free thing by definition and should remain a free thing. They are not a business. I think he will realize that when he introduces the subscription.

BTW. Piano Street is not a free forum at present. The ‘free membership ‘ went away about one year ago. They hope to reinstate this year. At present, the membership is &12.99 per month or $129 annually automatically renewed

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Yes, a church congregation is a business. Especially when the elders have to personally sign the lease or guarantee the building loan. That’s when it becomes real and sleep more difficult. The elders receive their reward in heaven. The business owner hopes to get his reward on earth. .

Kawai NV10
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Let's face it - this can go in any number of ways but the most likely of outcomes will be either:

1) people really do need their PW hit and will pay the sum to get it...

2) or the "no way Jose" camp vote with their feet...

3) OR the most likely of outcomes, some bugger off and some stay to pay....BUT will it be enough to pay the piper?

Not on your Nelly if I had to put a bet...

P
P
Originally Posted by dogperson

It will eventually turn into a business when the founder determines that the time spent to maintain the forum does not allow sufficient time to generate enough other income. Idealism is great but there may come that there is also a pragmatic consideration, evidently asking for donations, advertising and supply sales are not generating enough income

If the real purpose is to make money from it, you're probably right.
But then this is the personal decision of the forum owner and not an inevitable necessity.

I think it would be fair if this issue were openly communicated with "I would like to increase my income" instead of claiming that this money is necessary only to maintain the forum.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Pinkiepie
Originally Posted by dogperson

If the real purpose is to make money from it, you're probably right.
But then this is the personal decision of the forum owner and not an inevitable necessity.

I think it would be fair if this issue were openly communicated with "I would like to increase my income" instead of claiming that this money is necessary only to maintain the forum.

Go read Franks post of this. He clearly states that advertising revenue is not enough to support his income. He did not state the money is only for the website

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm wondering (not suggesting it). Does Frank legally own the content in this forum? Imagine someone extracting the entire data from PW through a data crawler and importing it in another forum and then people move there. Is this legal?

OP Offline
You guys are overthinking the obvious.

1. Frank owns the web site. He can make it a business if he wants to.
2. He has already done so. Years ago.
3. He has plainly said that this is a source of income.
4. His piano supplies side of things earns him some money.
5. His advertising earns him some money.
6. He claims that it's not enough money, so he proposes a subscription model.

I have no cause to doubt what he says.

So it's quite simple, really.

Some may not like it.
But that's the way it is.

OP Offline
Are there any experts here on the subject of copyright law?
I'm wondering (not suggesting it). Does Frank legally own the content in this forum? Imagine someone extracting the entire data from PW through a data crawler and importing it in another forum and then people move there. Is this legal?
Laws in the US are fairly liberal. You own your content. It becomes copyright automatically with no need to declare copyright.

As for our contributions ... I don't know who owns them. So would it be theft to appropriate this site's content and post it elsewhere? I don't know.

But ... two things:
1. Whether legal or not, doing so would be crapping on Frank's shoes. He has given us this site gratis for years. Why slap him by taking his stuff? Perhaps it's legal, but I find it immoral.
2. What would be the point of re-siting PW someplace else? If it has financial struggles now, what would be different elsewhere?

OP Offline
Read Frank's stickies. He plainly says that this is his source of income. He hasn't hidden that. He says so in plain English.
Originally Posted by Pinkiepie

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

2. What would be the point of re-siting PW someplace else? If it has financial struggles now, what would be different elsewhere?

I'm NOT advocating that this be done, but there could be some objective benefits.

Namely, economies of scale. Instead of having a single operator running his own web and db servers, routing, hosting, development and maintenance costs, advertising placement, etc., a large forum/aggregator could be able to roll PW into its existing infrastructure, ads portfolio, etc. There are huge forums out there with tens or hundreds of millions of visits per month, and they're able to stay afloat. This would probably not hold if another single operator took over PW, but a larger organization could probably absorb more easily and scale to their own infrastructure.

I'm not sure how much this specifically would apply to PW, but I would suspect nobody believes the setup here is optimally efficient. Frank's a single guy, he's running his own hardware and buying his own software, hiring devs every time something needs to be done...that can't be easy.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
He has given us this site gratis for years.
He plainly says that this is his source of income.

These two post do not reconcile. smile

No one is entitled to an income simply because they own a business.

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission