2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
35 members (benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, admodios, 9 invisible), 1,142 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
When does this become compulsory ?

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think the forum will die if it becomes subscription only.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird, it's not a done-deal yet.
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
In Frank's post, in the Where's my Badge post, he wrote
The forums will likely be changing to an all subscription model soon.

S, it's not a done deal, there's no timeline yet etc. "Likely" is a pretty strong word, but I think speculation is premature.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
S
If any of you can afford it and don’t usually donate, you might think about a donation or subscription. The possibility of making this a subscription site should not be surprising; Frank has been asking for donations.

M
M
I have my donation on a recurring charge. I am very sympathetic to the issue of not having a lot of disposable income, and I value everyone’s contributions. That being said, I also understand that you can’t hohoststt host a good website for free. I am sure that if everyone who can contribute would do so, and t a level that makes sense for them, we could probably get this done without a lot of trouble.

Last edited by Medved1; 07/03/19 02:18 PM.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
P
P
Originally Posted by FrankCox

According to a post earlier in this thread, this forum has 93,000 members. How many of those are what you could call active, i.e. how many of these people come here to read what's new, and how many are people that last visited this site many years ago and have long forgotten that they ever signed up and have moved on to other interests or died. I suspect that the first number is a much smaller number than the second.

The first number is probably just a fraction of the second. I used to be a moderator for a forum (on a totally unrelated subject matter) and the administration kept a very close watch on participation rates, member retention, etc as if we were a Fortune 500 company. The statistics were typically something like 10% of the membership made 90 to 95% of the posts; and there were upwards of 40% of the membership which had registered and made either no posts or just one post. There was also usually some large number (like 30%) which hadn't posted at all in the past year.

These numbers were considered normal in the forum world and are probably true here too.

P
P
Originally Posted by newer player
Forums with substantive content are on a downward spiral. Like it or not, this is a consequence of concentrating global media power into just a few hands, mainly those of Zuckerberg, Bezos, and Google.

This is true. The heyday of the forums are over; just as forums replaced email lists and bulletin boards in the early 2000s, Facebook and social media is replacing forums nowadays. Which is unfortunate, I think. Facebook's user interface is awful and its archiving abilities are probably even worse. I am on several of formerly-busy forums which have died (or nearly died), and every time someone wonders why, the answer is always the same: the traffic moved over to Facebook. And with it, goes a certain tangible sense of community that the forum once had.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
Re Pau Gasol's comment about archiving: yes, Facebook is basically useless for finding older information. And it'a pain in the rear even to try to go back to something you saw earlier in the day! FB is just not geared to be a information-provider, which is what many of us want from PW: information.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Maybe charge for the recital features, and leave the forums free? The recitals here I like and are unique I think. I'd get a subscription for that alone. Not sure if I'd want to pay for a forum though.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
When I did the ABF surveys we got around 100-200 responses, but usually around 100. The quarterly recitals have drifted down to around 50 performers and stayed there for years. Except for the 50th anniversary - we tried to contact everyone who had ever participated and managed to double our numbers, but then the numbers dropped right back down for the 51st.

So numbers are really pretty low here, I think. How many people post regularly? Surely less than 100, maybe less than 50.

On facebook, the users are the product, which is why I have no friends on facebook - I just use it to keep track of a sports club I belong to.

I will try to contact Frank to see if he has thought about what will happen to the recitals if he goes to a paid site.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
I probably would not subscribe. I am trying to spend less time on the internet and the subscription would give me an excuse to head in that direction. I like the camaraderie of the group but get tired of the same questions asked over and over, frivolous topics, and people asking us to comment on their abilities and prospective pieces when we are not in a position to do that. Also, people who ask for advice and you never hear from them again. I hope that Frank is reading the responses to this thread and takes them into account when making his decision.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist
Maybe charge for the recital features, and leave the forums free? The recitals here I like and are unique I think. I'd get a subscription for that alone. Not sure if I'd want to pay for a forum though.

Why not? Think about how much utility it’s provided. I’ve spent countless hours. Even if it cost $100 / year, and I spend 100 hrs / yr, that’s $1 / hr. I suspect thought that it’s more like $350 hrs and $35, so it’s actually closer to $0.10 / hr of entertainment. That’s a bargain in my book. Not to mention what it must cost him to run the site.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Lady Bird, it's not a done-deal yet.
In Frank's post, in the Where's my Badge post, he wrote
The forums will likely be changing to an all subscription model soon.

S, it's not a done deal, there's no timeline yet etc. "Likely" is a pretty strong word, but I think speculation is premature.

Frank, the owner, posted the announcement of the (likely) change under a banner of Please Note! and gave his reasons. It's not just speculation on our part.

He does state he may try the voluntary route one more time. Folks, here's a chance to influence his decision! Make a donation/suscribe!

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
I think if there is a fee for people to be able to write or ask a question, the forum is dead. I doubt any occasional user would bother to pay something just to be able to ask one question. The only viable solution is for people really interested to subscribe and cover the cost of operations. Now what would be usefull is for the owner to tell us how much more subscribers he still needs and whether its far away or close enough.

Blüthner model 6
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Personally, I like this much better than Facebook. It is not (supposed) to be political. Even though this is a insecure website, is Frank mining our data to sell to advertisers? Charging a minimum of $3.00 a month is more than reasonable. Anyone that wants to post for advice can get it for $3.00 and quit. The rest of us would really miss it I bet. So why not pay a small fee. Those folks that pay $5 or $10 a month would still be subsidizing the people that can only pay the $3.00 a month. Just as we do with our taxes. I honestly never thought of PW as anything other than a business. Frank needs revenue and should be also be fairly compensated for the successful forum he has created. And don't say that he didn't make it successful, but the members did. Go ahead, start your own piano forum and see how far you get before you run out of money.

Kawai NV10
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What about a fundraiser? I wouldn’t subscribe, but a one time donation I would do. But not if I donate and later it becomes subscriber based. I read a lot but don’t post much. I’m cool with older posts disappearing. We seem to repeat the same discussions over and over anyway lol

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth
What about a fundraiser? I wouldn’t subscribe, but a one time donation I would do. But not if I donate and later it becomes subscriber based. I read a lot but don’t post much. I’m cool with older posts disappearing. We seem to repeat the same discussions over and over anyway lol

Agreed. Do an annual voluntary fundraiser - Wikipedia style. That would yield far better results than a subscription model which has a very poor longevity rate. Subscription will kill this forum within 24 months, IMO.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pau Gasol
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by Animisha
This is very sad. I would be willing to subscribe, but with less new people coming in, and members eventually not renewing their subscriptions, there will be fewer and fewer people to keep this forum alive.

Agree with this sentiment. Sad, indeed!

I agree too. Very sad. While there are probably some exceptions, forums that go the subscription route usually wither and die. Been there, done that.

That has been my experience as well.

[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by sara elizabeth

That's a really good idea.

Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Those interested in this issue can also check the lively discussion over here in this thread.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission