2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The post is confusing. It starts as an answer to a post that someone asked recently somewhere, and then has this idea almost as a by-the-way afterthought in a place that is unlikely to be read by anyone who isn't one of the present subscribers curious about that question. Folks in the forum are up in the air, in an atmosphere of uncertainty. Many who contribute probably have their bags standing by the door already. It might be good for Frank to clarify things a bit. It is indeed sad, by the way

Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
I don't believe a website whose value comes from independent content creators, can survive if it charges these content creators to create the website's content. They will turn elsewhere. Some sooner, others later.

Yes.

Originally Posted by Ojustaboo
Very few new people are going to pay to ask a question, I suspect the amount of new posters will drop considerably.

Very new people may ask questions, but should the knowledgeable people who volunteer their time (teachers, musicians, advanced students, technicians), pay to answer those questions?

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring
Very few new people are going to pay to ask a question, I suspect the amount of new posters will drop considerably.

Very new people may ask questions, but should the knowledgeable people who volunteer their time (teachers, musicians, advanced students, technicians), pay to answer those questions?

I don't think that there actually will be many very new people asking questions as very new people will need to pay to ask even one question. There are other places like PianoStreet's forum or Reddit's r/piano to ask piano-related questions for free. Those may be worse for one reason or another today, but after PW starts its subscription regime, then those alternatives will suddenly look better for question-askers. Those venues will pick up more questions.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14

Gold Supporter until Sept. 05 2014
2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Wow, this is some news! I thought it was a misunderstanding, but no, it's true! I really think Frank should have posted the announcement in a specific thread with a clear title, and should have allowed comments in it.

I know from FB that he is going through some changes in his life, I guess this might be somewhat related to that if he really can't afford to continue with a free forum like before.

I don't like the change but I think I will subscribe, as I owe so much to PW, and especially the ABF forum. I don't think I would be where I am in my piano journey without it. That said, I don't really need to participate right now, most of the times I just read here and there - and obviously after 7 years there's not a lot of useful new information that I can find here, I just like to see what's going on. There's already so much information in these forums, that I think nobody should feel compelled to subscribe just to get ideas on how to start, how to practice, etc. You can still read about all that. Maybe the search option will be used more often before deciding to start a new thread on the same old topics wink

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I don't think that there actually will be many very new people asking questions as very new people will need to pay to ask even one question. There are other places like PianoStreet's forum or Reddit's r/piano to ask piano-related questions for free. Those may be worse for one reason or another today, but after PW starts its subscription regime, then those alternatives will suddenly look better for question-askers. Those venues will pick up more questions.

At the present time, all new memberships on PisnoStreet are paid memberships. They are hoping to reactivate the free membership sometime this year. Personally, I don’t find that either compare to PW. I have no issue with paying; this site has asked for voluntary donations and subscriptions, but I assume voluntary did not generate enough income. .

Last edited by dogperson; 07/03/19 05:39 AM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

IMO, When the forum becomes a subscription , everyone should pay. Otherwise, there would need to be some criteria to judge the quality of the answer and whether the responder should qualify for free or not. Just because somebody answers the question doesn’t mean they were qualified or that the answer was valuable to others. Everyone on this forum gains at one time or another regardless of their skill level or the frequency they ask questions.

Make everyone the same. Really. $3 per month is not huge.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I think that Frank isn't expecting very many to stay.

There are currently 93,770 members - and at $3.00 per month, if we all stayed - that'd net $3,375,720.00.

My guess is that he's expecting less than 1% to stay around as members.

Alan from Queensland, Australia (and Clara - my Grotrian Concert & Allen Organ (CF-17a)).
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
PianoWorld's ABF has been invaluable to me (without it I wonder whether I'd still be continuing my piano journey) so for some years I've been providing financial support as a way of saying 'thanks'.

A monthly subscription is a small price to pay to help keep this wonderful site viable; I hope the vast majority of members feel the same way.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
And how does one go about subscribing? I just did a quick search and couldn't find it.

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by Peyton
And how does one go about subscribing? I just did a quick search and couldn't find it.

On my cellphone, the subscription option is at the very bottom ... underneath the ads

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
This is very sad. I would be willing to subscribe, but with less new people coming in, and members eventually not renewing their subscriptions, there will be fewer and fewer people to keep this forum alive.

Agree with this sentiment. Sad, indeed!

[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
I agree with the sentiments above - I would not be where I am today without this forum. It is well worth the fee to me. I hope many of you who I consider my online friends continue. Some of us may be willing or able to sponsor others if the need arises. Maybe that can help.

I saw someone posted that Frank is going through changes, as per Facebook. I hope that’s not a health issue. If so, is there a backup plan to keep this forum running? I don’t have the technical expertise or the time to pitch in in this way, but others may be able to help if that is the issue.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
What if the benefit of higher levels of subscription were increased edit time?!

Learner
P
P
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
Originally Posted by Animisha
This is very sad. I would be willing to subscribe, but with less new people coming in, and members eventually not renewing their subscriptions, there will be fewer and fewer people to keep this forum alive.

Agree with this sentiment. Sad, indeed!

I agree too. Very sad. While there are probably some exceptions, forums that go the subscription route usually wither and die. Been there, done that.

2000 Post Club Member

2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

I saw someone posted that Frank is going through changes, as per Facebook. I hope that’s not a health issue.

No, nothing like that! He's perfectly healthy as far as I know.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I am a sporadic reader and occasionally make a posting or submit answers and comments , and I make sporadic donations. I cannot imagine my life without browsing through the different threads when I feel the need for a little support or encouragement or just association with other piano players, since I my life I am the only one.
I only came across this idea of subscription by happenstance scrolling by things I don’t usually follow just for a change.
What would I do if it all became subscription and I missed it.....
Is it all getting out of hand? Is admin now chaotic? Will we all have to turn to a Face Book Group?
I think I would try subscribing and see how it goes. If it just withers away then so be it - that would be very sad......

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I don't think that this is being discussed anywhere other than ABF,although the original post saying the site will become subscription only is posted elsewhere, and it's quite a serious issue in my opinion. I'm not keen on the idea really, and I guess whether or not I stay is going to depend on how things pan out. It's really the membership that makes this a great place to 'hang out' and it is unclear how many people will actually stay.
Can I afford it? Well, I suppose so, although being retired on a fixed income I'm not exactly rich and I have resisted paid membership of other forums and survived quite happily. Would miss PW no doubt, but it's the members I would miss and many may just move on anyway, so probably better to make a clean break.
Lack of new members who arrive with a question and then stay may, as has been mentioned, become a problem. A 'guest posting' thread may be useful - a way of kind of hauling people in, but I'm not sure how it would / could be managed.
I have no problem, incidentally, that Frank is doing this, and hope all goes well for him. I see no reason why he should subsidize something for us to enjoy - it's just a shame that things have come to this.

Last edited by petebfrance; 07/03/19 10:23 AM.

regards
Pete
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
It is a shame we have come to subscriptions but Frank has been asking for donations as well as membership for a long time. Evidently there was not enough monetary response and it will need to become mandatory.

I find the free forums, other than this one, not to be useful and/or disorganized. If the ABF is ‘moved’ to Reddit, I will not be following as the ABF is not the only forum I follow here. I hope others will consider the value of what they get from PW.

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I have been willing and able to donate the last few years. PW has given me hours upon hours of informative discussions, some not so informative discussions, of encouragement, of entertainment. The site relies on people willing to start new threads, to answer questions, to post an opinion on a topic. My gut feeling is that a paid subscription to post will be a short-term financial boost for Frank that will shrink considerably when the current batch of frequent posters fades away.

This place needs the occasional posters and the new posters to keep it alive and busy enough to sustain interest. Putting the roadblock of a subscription in the way will reduce traffic to a trickle. I hope Frank will reconsider and if he does and gives voluntary donations another chance, more people will go that route and maybe even consider larger donations.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I would think that when subscriptions to PW become mandatory and details are made clear, Frank will let us all know by a well-publicized announcement rather than through a passing mention buried in another thread.

In the meantime, let's keep speculation to a minimum and patiently wait and see what transpires and when.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission