2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
54 members (Augustina, agent8698, BlakeOR, 36251, APianistHasNoName, accordeur, Bostonmoores, danno858, 7 invisible), 1,409 guests, and 695 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Hello all, I have to make a choose for piano, first of all, I Live in China, although there are so much brand Entering China already, but I still have some concerns , so its hard to decide which brand and which model should I buy. My budget is about $ 100K I think, maybe a bit more or less, only for worth it, I am looking for a new Grand piano for playing jazz at home, my room is about 50 square meters ,

1, about the brand , I can not afford the tier1 class, Bechstein Bensondorfer Steinway Faziori those are all will be a dream for me, them the tier2 class maybe ? YAMAHA kAWAI Pedrof ?
those three brand have Authorized dealers in my city. special yamaha and kawai , they made in Japan where colse to China, I guess if I have to repair or order some parts will be easy. but I am not sure . I have to consider the after-sale warranty in China. some EU brand are very famous in the world but not good work in China.

2, no matter which brand I choice, I should pay more attention to the action of Feels ? the sounds? the Process quality ? I mean if I could get used to it for jazz, what part is important for me that I wont regret.

3, consider the price and the brand, the same price paino, I should buy the bigger one or some thing ? I mean if I have $120K. I olny could get the Faziori F156 maybe. but I also I can get the yamaha CF4, bigger , so is bigger is better ?

so after all, I have to think about, for jazz, what brand and what model should I buy, and is this brand doing its jobs good in China, that I could Enjoy normal post-service? and buying a tier 1 class small piano or tier 2 class bigger piano ?

I know some thing in China you guys may dont know, but for buying a piano, what should I do ?

thank you

sorry about the English if I use it wrong

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello, CJ!

Sounds like you are in for a lot of fun and excitement (and stress smile ) choosing a piano that you like for the music that you like.

Your budget is waaaay more than mine was, in many multiples of 10, but I found an older Yamaha C7 grand (7'4") that I could afford and I absolutely love it for the kind of music I play! I play a lot of blues and boogie-woogie, along with oldies rock-n-roll, pop, old-country, folk, Gospel and some contemporary. I like jazz too, and I think jazz and blues have a lot in common, though some might disagree.

I would describe the tone of my Yamaha C7 as a blend of bright and mellow, but not too bright and not too mellow. That distinctive sound of the higher notes in the killer octave gives me a thrill every time I hear it! The individual notes are clear and distinctive, which would bode well for jazz music. The action is superb as well, not too firm and not too light, very fast repetition. Oh yea, I have two tempos... fast and faster. smile

In fact, I just played it a few minutes ago rehearsing some songs and arrangements I plan on playing at a piano party recital tomorrow.

Anyway, all the pianos you mentioned would likely be a good candidate for you to try. I will say that I owned a very nice Petrof studio upright from the early 2000s, for a while, and it was way too mellow for the kind of music I like best. It would have been fantastic for classical music. But I'm afraid I missed the boat when it comes to playing classical music.

Good luck!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Welcome to PW China_Jack!

I don't think you can go wrong with a Yamaha. A lot of jazz pianists play Yamaha, including one my favorites, Hiromi Uehara. If you have some favorite pianists, check to see what they play and maybe that will be a helpful guide for you.

I'll let someone else discuss the size, but as a general rule, people always say to get the biggest piano you can afford and that fits in your space.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I would suggest that you should go to the Shanghai music expo and look at what is available.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
The best way is to play as many different pianos as possible, and see which suits you best!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1. Whether you choose a piano more for its tone, more for its touch, or about equally is something only you can decide. Of course, it's ideal if you can find a piano whose tone and touch you both love and you may be able to do so with your considerable budget.

2. Similarly, in the never ending dilemma of choosing between a sensational but smaller piano vs. slightly less sensational but longer piano only you can decide. OTOH I would not recommend the very smallest pianos from Steinway, Fazioli, Bosendorfer, or any of the other absolute top pianos. A piano that's around 5'2" will probably not be fully satisfying.

C
OP Offline
C
WOW yamaha C7. its a very big piano. I think if we both like jazz blues maybe funk too. then I may go with yamaha too, in fact, I perfoer yamaha too, because its made in Japan, close to china, and if I buy something in EU, it may takes price to get service or some. and from what you said, I think yamaha is made for moden stuff, and I dont like classical music at all, only 5 songs I guess, LOL, anyway, thank you for telling me this, and about Petrof . I think its a good choice too, just if it only fit with jazz, but maybe someday I will try

C
OP Offline
C
yamaha ! the CF4 SX ser CX ser , I will try them all. I hope I could buy a piano start by 6'2'' or bigger . I like MONK, but he is playing Steinway.

what about KAWAI ? its good too, but not good at jazz?

C
OP Offline
C
I hope so, but from NAMM2019,I think this year is belong to ?212. 211.

C
OP Offline
C
we dont have many piano around, the piano in China is weird , only popular Upright piano. we dont have the house like you people do, we live in a huge building, the building you live in. in china we called them villa. and its very big for Grand piano. but its very expensive.

C
OP Offline
C
I will try some. I just dont know am I right about this, maybe I did some thing wrong, dicide some thing I will regret. I think I may only buy a piano once with this much money . so it must be right for me.

Originally Posted by China_Jack
I think if we both like jazz blues maybe funk too.

Oh yea... Funk music!!! smile

Some call it Soul. I love to play my rendition of "I feel good" by James Brown (the godfather of soul music:-) on the piano! That is a tune you don't hear much on the piano. But I like to be different. I play many tunes on the piano that are traditional "guitar" songs. smile

But if it can be played on the guitar or any other musical instrument, it can be played on the piano.

Good luck with your piano search, China_Jack!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
James Brown was from my hometown, and I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. He was friends of some friends of mine. The husband was an architect, and worked on "Mr. Brown"'s house off and on, and the wife had a dress shop, and made his backup singers' outfits at one time. If you were lucky enough to be there when he turned up, it was a real treat to hear him play and sing. And to sing along, which he liked as well.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A lot of jazz pianists in the USA seem to like Yamahas...at least that's the piano of choice at many jazz venues. Yamaha has started producing "premium" pianos; they are the SX and CF series. I haven't played any of these new Yamahas, but the reviews have been excellent.

Some people think a particular brand of piano is best for certain types of music. This is not my experience. A really good piano should be capable of allowing the pianist to play any kind of music. I've heard jazz on Yamahas, Steinways, Baldwins, and Kawais. Jazz sounds good on all these makes. Get a piano that you like to play. Just play lots of pianos before you decide.

I'm not sure I am understanding your budget correctly. Are you saying you have a budget of $100,000 American or are you talking about renminbi? The reason I ask is because $100,000 American could buy you a Tier 1 piano, and you say you do not have the budget for a Tier 1 piano.

August Förster 215
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
James Brown was from my hometown, and I had the pleasure of meeting him a few times. He was friends of some friends of mine. The husband was an architect, and worked on "Mr. Brown"'s house off and on, and the wife had a dress shop, and made his backup singers' outfits at one time. If you were lucky enough to be there when he turned up, it was a real treat to hear him play and sing. And to sing along, which he liked as well.

That is an interesting story, Ret! I'm a James Brown fan too. I live about halfway between Atlanta and Macon, and I believe some of his musical roots are in Macon where he more or less began his music career.

Actually, Macon, Georgia has a rich heritage of famous music artists. The Allman Brothers Band were originally from Macon. I'm a fan of theirs as well. I also like to play "Ramblin Man" on the piano, which was an Allman Brothers Band hit (one of many). smile

Oh yea, James Brown could play the piano a little, as well as other musical instruments. He was very talented. But his dancing on stage!!! Wow!

But, yea, I like Funk music and Jazz music (to make this post relevant:-).

Rick

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
jazz practitioners in the u.s. favor NY steinway or yamaha to a significant degree. they are what you're most likely to hear in jazz recordings made in the u.s. ; one of the regular contributors here, D.Ferris, a long time professional jazz performer, has owned yamahas or steinway almost exclusively, i.i.r.c. if you like the work of the jazz titan McCoy Tyner, nearly all of his celebrated recordings were made on one of those two brands. Chick Corea is a yamaha guy, i.i.r.c.

the other brand mentioned frequently in association with the music is boesendorfer, probably a bit less accessible/available in the glorious people's republic. it seems bechstein also makes some effort in its marketing and demo recordings to appeal to jazz practitioners.

C
OP Offline
C
hi, good to know that, and my budget is yes US $ 100K but I can not afford tier 1 class piano, first, those brands in chinese market are doning not well, the server delay , think about it, if some parts has broken. ask ro repair, order a parts, ship it, price, those thing would cost mush. and the piano price is more than 100K $ .

I do want the rier 1 class piano , but maybe I only acknowledge those brand are famous, very good . but not fit in me . I mean, I dont like classical music. says by yours I may should buy yamaha as well

C
OP Offline
C
HI 坏东西 guessing its your ID .(huaidongxi) thanks for telling me this, I saw some MV and they are playing the yamaha . so I think I am gonna stuck with the yamaha or kawai, the steinway is popular in USA I think cuz it made in USA, just like EU likes Bechstein Bensondorfer Faziori. they made in EU, so back to asian, YAMAHA and KAWAI is a More reasonable choice .

In Chinese market. steinway is the best, the price is highest, Bechstein Bensondorfer Faziori they are in the awkward position. low Production, price and after sale server. Give bad experience for buyer. guessing thats why Bechstein Bensondorfer Faziori are changing them, try to be like steinway.

now, I need to try CFs SXs CXs and SKs and find out.

J
J
In my opinion jazz pianists prefer a bright cutting sound for playing jazz with other musicians so they get heard in the mix.
Yamaha is known for that. But are you playing by yourself? If that's the case why go for a bright sound? Remember, any piano the more you play it, it will get brighter due to the hammers getting impacted with string cuts over time. Even if you bought a mellow piano a good technician could change it's tone brighter with lacquering and voicing the hammers or putting on a different set.
Personally if I had that amount of cash I'd look into a Steinway B.
But if I were you I'd check out Estonia grands.
You'd save a lot and I think they sound great. Schimmel grands are really nice too.
Good luck in your search.

C
OP Offline
C
Hi, thank you , the Estonia I never hard of it, they may not into China. and the Schimmel I know, maybe I will try some times. and the steinway in china, the price start by 110K$ and its very small. 155

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Ten greatest Chopin works
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 08:34 PM
KORG DS-1H pedal issues with Korg D1
by Mta88 - 07/24/21 04:28 PM
What is this musical symbol?
by pianoloverus - 07/24/21 02:55 PM
I Want To Be Happy
by Simon_b - 07/24/21 02:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,192
Posts3,116,054
Members102,225
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission