2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (CyberGene, clothearednincompo, Boboulus, DSC, Cutec, brennbaer, Alan3666, Carey, chaplincap, 8 invisible), 1,306 guests, and 634 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2660037 07/09/17 12:34 PM
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Good Day All,

I've been exchanging emails with a woman named Elaine who is having some problems with her Kawai digital piano.
According to her, the model no. is G129163 or CA65. Below is the first correspondence I received from her...
=====================================================
"I'm writing you in desperation. I bought this Kawai piano at the beginning of 2013. Last fall there was a sticky key. After much conversation with the company, and recommendations for a tech to come a fix it, I located one in the area (Baltimore-DC) who mainly worked on organs. After about 6 months, he was able to fit me in, and found that all the "slip tapes" were moving off the "hammers". He had never worked on these before, but bravely repaired about 1 1/2 octaves, and it seemed to be OK. But now, two more keys are stuck. I find this piano is a piece of junk. Since you gave it a good review, I thought you needed another opinion. Any suggestions or am I screwed?"
======================================================
(I'm assuming she saw a review on this forum somewhere as I've never reviewed this instrument).

She has been unable to find anyone else to service it.
She said she contacted Kawai but they weren't interested in helping (not sure what that means).

Update on issue: the problem: e' and g' stick. g" was sticking, but now it just "clicks."

Anyone have any ideas to help Elaine.

Picture of piano below.
[Linked Image]

Thanks for any help with this.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Hammond D100 (think B3 in a cabinet) & Leslie HL722, Harpsichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, 2 - Antique Pump Organs & others
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
KJ will be probably be along to help after the weekend in Japan, but he will likely advise getting in touch with Juan or Alan at Kawai America in LA. Maybe he will initiate it the contact through internal channels. But irrespective a call to Kawai service is the way to go.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Obviously if it's still under warranty then she should get it fixed via that. It's true that finding suitably experienced technicians is difficult, but that's really the vendor's problem.

If it's not in warranty then I would suggest learning to fix it herself or finding someone handy to help. It's unfortunate that the instrument is not designed for easy access for what appears to be a routine maintenance task, but it's not too difficult. The following links will be useful:

For how to take the top off CA95 - CA65 is probably not the same but similar:
http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2272103/Kawai_Grand_Feel_key_clinic.html

Replacing the PTFE sliders that push the hammers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsziolVG34Y

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
M
M
Kawai Service

If purchased from a private party, there is no Warranty in America.
Otherwise start with your Dealer.
If, the problem is something simple, like a loose screw or circuit board, Kawai Service is quite responsive. Both with fixes you can do, and sending Techs they contract with.
If, however, it is something deeper, it has been my experience on my CA95, Juan and Alan heard the problem, agreed to the problem and repeatedly promised to get it fixed, but ... ... ... After a year, the District Rep replaced the unit.
Lolatu's observations and suggestions are spot on. Taking the unit apart, is not that difficult. Making mods to the keyboard, one has to be very careful. And patient. His YouTubes are very clear for what he did.
I really like the action and features of the Kawai. And, their nice clean presentation is superb. It is a piece of fine furniture and fit well in any room.
Good Luck ...

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by McBuster
Kawai Service
If, however, it is something deeper, it has been my experience on my CA95, Juan and Alan heard the problem, agreed to the problem and repeatedly promised to get it fixed, but ... ... ... After a year, the District Rep replaced the unit.

I really like the action and features of the Kawai. And, their nice clean presentation is superb. It is a piece of fine furniture and fit well in any room.
Good Luck ...

This is my current experience - I bought the CS-11 in December 2016 and am still waiting on service for issues the piano had since day 1. Juan and Alan have acknowledged the problem and are friendly enough, but I'm now learning that my extraordinary patience is not limitless.

D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Thanks for your posting, customer service is so important and what I consider when I buy something that may need service. Thanks for sharing about your experience. Deb

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Sadly - you're welcome.

Their service has been great until now - I'm surprised and a bit disappointed.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Hello Joe,

Originally Posted by Joe Garfield
This is my current experience - I bought the CS-11 in December 2016 and am still waiting on service for issues the piano had since day 1. Juan and Alan have acknowledged the problem and are friendly enough, but I'm now learning that my extraordinary patience is not limitless.

I'm sorry to read this.

I'll send you a PM shortly in order to clarify some details.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I was just logging on to update this thread - since I posted here I called a few more times and left more messages, and someone finally came out this morning to start working on my piano (an actual Kawai employee which was kind of nice).

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 08/07/17 12:20 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
It took a few weeks - Kawai sent one of their employees to remove all the keys, and they were re-bushed at the factory. I think they were ready a couple of weeks ago but I was on vacation, then the employee was on vacation. The keys were installed last night by Kawai's electronics service rep and the employee - I guess all Kawai employees are taught to regulate the keys of a piano. Unfortunately some keys are sticking and the key spacing isn't great, so I'm going to have an actual piano technician come out and set this thing up right.

It's kind of insane that I live 5 miles from Kawai's headquarters and have to call my own piano tech to fix a warranty issue after Kawai themselves came to look at it! Geez smile

There must have been some misunderstanding - I didn't realized they had a certain employee they wanted to send to remove the keys. I thought they were going to send an actual piano technician, which is what I wish they would have done. That's why it took as long as it did. I'm pretty disappointed but I feel like the overall quality of the piano is good, and once it's properly setup I think it's going to be a phenomenal instrument.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 10/17/17 10:44 PM.
E
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
E
Was any comment made between yourself and the Kawai people about the sticking and spacing when they replaced the keys?

Just tell them you're not happy and that you want it sorted within a week. If they won't or can't respond within that timescale tell them you will send them your tech's bill for whatever s/he does. The CS11 is a top end instrument and these problems are not acceptable. I can't believe Kawai won't sort this out. Don't give up! They have a good reputation for service so I would expect them to get this right for you.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Not yet - it was late, and I obviously hadn't played a piano in a few months so I couldn't really give it a good test. They did say I could let them know if anything comes up, but at this point I'd rather just pay to have the right kind of technician to do it right.

Since a) nobody bothered to look at what was wrong with the keys (they just decided to replace the bushings rather than see if pins needed adjusting), and b) the rep admitting he's an electronics guy and not really the best at regulating/adjusting keys, I feel it's better to get it in the hands of the right kind of technician and not mess with it anymore.

I guess I can let Kawai know my plans. I'm not too worried about the cost because I know I'm more particular than some people (and especially for my skill level) and it's worth it to me to have it right. It's been almost a year since I've had this piano and it hasn't been right from day 1, so I'm also just tired of this and want it fixed.

Last edited by Joe Garfield; 10/18/17 11:34 AM.
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I did email Kawai and let them know. I got another voicemail saying I'd get a call from a tech. That was a week ago now, so I have my own tech coming tomorrow.

T
T
what is the oryginal thickness of double sided tape and PFTE layer in our CAX5 models ?

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by tomek
what is the oryginal thickness of double sided tape and PFTE layer in our CAX5 models ?

What is this question all about ?

Is there a problem ?

You do realize this thread is 2 years old.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
As long as we're dealing with long-standing questions ...

What is the average air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

(African or European?)

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
What? I don't know that! I--Aaarghhhhh!!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac

(African or European?)

Wasn't this answered by Monty Python?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
T
T
Originally Posted by dmd
Originally Posted by tomek

You do realize this thread is 2 years old.

so ?

CA65, SUPERLUX HD330
Asked ... but not answered ... WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
(African or European?)
Wasn't this answered by Monty Python?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
.nausicaa OP. (elementary version)
by WarDesu - 07/23/21 07:09 PM
Selling the sizzle if not the steak
by cfhosford - 07/23/21 06:25 PM
For the Experts
by Epee - 07/23/21 12:43 PM
Another question about piano positioning
by Cassia - 07/23/21 12:16 PM
1992 Yamaha C3 vs new CX2
by MusterMark - 07/23/21 10:19 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,177
Posts3,115,879
Members102,217
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission