2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (Cheeeeee, Adam Reynolds, Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, 5 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
j&j Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
I understand how you feel J&J ! I hope you had your glass of wine. It seems like a criminal act to have a beautiful, expensive grand piano just standing in lovely home, carefully dusted, tuned once a year !!! Oh well !
People should be free to buy a piano for any reason they want without being criticized for it. Pianos are beautiful furniture so buying a piano only for its furniture aspect is completely reasonable.

You are right as usual Pianoloverus. People can buy whatever they want (except exotic endangered pets) and shouldn’t be criticized. And buying a ‘63 split window Corvette that’s never driven does bring fabulous money if it’s stored and never driven. But it is a shame to buy something designed to be played to create music with a pure singing sound and never play it. Or even hire a skilled pianist to play it at a dinner party. But then maybe someone like our trandinhnamh can buy it later and bring it’s beautiful voice out for family and friends to enjoy.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by trandinhnamanh
I understand how you feel J&J ! I hope you had your glass of wine. It seems like a criminal act to have a beautiful, expensive grand piano just standing in lovely home, carefully dusted, tuned once a year !!! Oh well !
People should be free to buy a piano for any reason they want without being criticized for it. Pianos are beautiful furniture so buying a piano only for its furniture aspect is completely reasonable.

Tuned once a year? Luckily piano! My Hamburg Steinway C, I bought it from a rich family who got it for 10 years without any tuning, just carefully dusted. Even the lid wasn't opened once...

That is just amazing ! I can see you appreciate this incredible piano so that is a great beginning of a new life for the piano.
Yes I think WE all want pianos to be sold from the dealers.That is
vital, but it is OK if people express thier feelings.
New pianos must keep selling.Especially European pianos where
(hope I am wrong)piano manufacturers could be sold to some Chinese firm or worse when pianos end up as a stencel.
No doubt I will cause a mini war now,hope not.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Tuned once a year? Luckily piano! My Hamburg Steinway C, I bought it from a rich family who got it for 10 years without any tuning, just carefully dusted. Even the lid wasn't opened once...

That is just amazing ! I can see you appreciate this incredible piano so that is a great beginning of a new life for the piano.
Yes I think WE all want pianos to be sold from the dealers.That is
vital, but it is OK if people express thier feelings.
New pianos must keep selling.Especially European pianos where
(hope I am wrong)piano manufacturers could be sold to some Chinese firm or worse when pianos end up as a stencel.
No doubt I will cause a mini war now,hope not.

So sad for FEURICH, PLEYEL, WILHEM STEINBERG. They were great brands of the past.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Yes it is and I am sorry Pleyel has now fallen into the same
situation .We were in Paris last year and looked in the dealers
for these pianos.Has Pleyel been taken over by a different
firm in China ?

Originally Posted by mcontraveos

Yet in doing so, S&S seem to have ended up with a piano that generates the most sales as a status furniture item -- because, as it turns out, there are way more people with money to burn than music to make. In turn, we have a beautiful set array of pianos priced to sell as furniture.

This is simply not true. The great majority of individuals who purchase Steinway pianos not only play, but they play at an intermediate or advanced level. I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - - but regardless, it is simply not accurate.

Bob Snyder
Senior District Manager
Steinway & Sons

rsnyder@steinway.com
www.steinway.com

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Nothing wrong with something being a status symbol.

Originally Posted by Bob Snyder
I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - -

This is sort of a two-part thing:

1) I think there's truth to the notion that a Steinway is a status symbol. That's not a criticism. It's simply a fact.

2) Re. the related notion that only the "worthy" should be allowed to buy one, sadly, that's the green-eyed monster. He rears his ugly head here from time to time.

The great majority of individuals who purchase Steinway pianos not only play, but they play at an intermediate or advanced level.

It'd be interesting to see this assertion supported by concrete data.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I'm not sure who it is that seems so committed to perpetuating the "buying a Steinway piano as a status furniture item" myth - - but regardless, it is simply not accurate.

Perhaps things like when your company introduced Spirio and it was playback only cause us to think along those lines?

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
It's fine to express emotions over great pianos that are not
played.I bet most of us may have had green eyed monsters about
something. But it is only rational that these pianos get sold.
People spend money all the time on things they do not use.
So yes please somebody buy that incredible Maly Ambiente
Sauter grand downtown Vancouver BC.It would great to know
because I would like the Sauter as a brand to survive just as
I would all the great piano brands to survive.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yet in doing so, S&S seem to have ended up with a piano that generates the most sales as a status furniture item -- because, as it turns out, there are way more people with money to burn than music to make. In turn, we have a beautiful set array of pianos priced to sell as furniture.
To me, your post is an example of a prejudice I think some people have against wealthy people. I say that because of your description of them as having "money to burn" and not interested in music. Having a lot of money or not being interested in music does not make someone a bad person.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 06/12/19 06:40 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
To me, your post is an example of a prejudice I think some people have against wealthy people. I say that because of your description of them as having "money to burn" and not interested in music. Having a lot of money or not being interested in music does not make someone a bad person.

I agree with pianoloverus again.

[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
To me it depends, perhaps his way of describing what he sees.Describing "someone with money to burn" is just another
slang way of describing a wealthy person by a person with more modest means.
Perhaps I just feel that there so many in this world who REALLY suffer real prejudice and who's whole lives are affected by it.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
This is a piano forum. People here have an unusual love of the piano. Some of us think it's a shame to see a lovely piano go to waste. It has nothing to do with money or class, or any other social construct. On a piano forum, many people will be sad to see a piano that's not loved as a musical instrument.

It's the same when parents buy a piano for a child who gives up after a while. It doesn't matter if it's an expensive piano or not -not that there are any cheap pianos.

Maybe we're weird here, but a lot of use regard our pianos as our friends. OK, maybe it's just me. grin

It's not about who can afford what; not for all of us at least.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
There are people on this forum who have bought really expensive new pianos. I have never seen any evidence of jealousy.

Originally Posted by johnstaf
This is a piano forum. People here have an unusual love of the piano. Some of us think it's a shame to see a lovely piano go to waste. It has nothing to do with money or class, or any other social construct. On a piano forum, many people will be sad to see a piano that's not loved as a musical instrument.

It's the same when parents buy a piano for a child who gives up after a while. It doesn't matter if it's an expensive piano or not -not that there are any cheap pianos.
When posters criticize someone for buying a piano that's just used as furniture it's almost always when the piano is an expensive one. Being sad about a piano that's not used as a musical instrument is different from being critical of the buyer.

To me it depends, perhaps his way of describing what he sees.Describing "someone with money to burn" is just another slang way of describing a wealthy person by a person with more modest means.
I think that slang expression has a negative connotation almost like "filthy rich", and I think the poster I quoted was clearly being critical of those who bought pianos as furniture.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I think there’s nothing wrong if an expensive grand piano like Steinway is purchased and used just as furniture. It’s appreciated as well. A Ferrari isn’t bought for driving at 300km/h all the time.

When I was in conservatories, I practiced much more than now, and on Yamaha grands. But I never think that having a Steinway concert grand now at home is just a waste for both of me and the piano. It’s a kind of achievement.

Last edited by trandinhnamanh; 06/13/19 09:43 AM.

Hamburg Steinway & Sons C-227
Yamaha Stagea Electone ELS-02X
j&j Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
I think there’s nothing wrong if an expensive grand piano like Steinway is purchased and used just as furniture. It’s appreciated as well. A Ferrari isn’t bought for driving at 300km/h all the time.

When I was in conservatories, I practiced much more than now, and on Yamaha grands. But I never think that having a Steinway concert grand now at home is just a waste for both of me and the piano. It’s a kind of achievement.

As a member of the Piano World Forums and having played at conservatories, no one here would say your Steinway Hamburg was bought as a piece of furniture. You bought it as a well deserved achievement. If a Ferrari is bought by someone as a collector car and stored and garaged instead of driven, it’s not for me to judge. As I am of more humble means, I might think to myself “gee whiz what a waste of a beautiful sports car” and snicker because the person that bought it can’t drive stick. But hey, it’s their money and their car, who am I to judge? Whoever buys a new Steinway is probably used to being envied. Better to be envied than envious.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
My comment about the green-eyed monster was meant to be proactive, not reactive (i.e. not addressed to or at anyone who's posted so far above). In the past there have been comments posted suggesting that people shouldn't be allowed to buy nice pianos unless they are worthy of them, that those people's pianos should be given to others who are worthy of them, etc. (I'm paraphrasing, and not gonna dig up links.)

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

j&j Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Thank the heavens I don’t have deserve my piano. I’d be stuck with a old Cable Nelson spinet. Just the thought of taking piano qualification tests again makes me break out in a sweat. laugh
I can’t remember the exact quote or where I might have read it, but it says musicians have an emotional attachment to their instruments. I’m very sentimental about my piano and my vehicle. I actually want my piano trade in to go to a good home. Yeah, it’s an inanimate object but my piano is part of my family. Heck, there’s even a feature wall along side of it. How many of us name our pianos? Be absolutely truthful here. It’s also too emotional and silly but I think fine concert level hand built pianos that have such a beautiful voice should be played for the owners and their family and friends to enjoy.
It is my hope is that the people who buy the Steinway BD admire the talent and expertise of the artist Lang Lang will appreciate his design touches that allow him to deliver his absolute best on stage. Maybe there’s also the hope of the buyer “if I just had a better piano I could somehow approach Lang Lang’s magic!” Kinda the same logic that keeps the golf industry afloat.
But then I could play Valentina Lisitsa’s Bosendorfer until my hands fell off but my improvement would still be minimal.

J & J
Casio Privia P230
[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
To me it depends, perhaps his way of describing what he sees.Describing "someone with money to burn" is just another slang way of describing a wealthy person by a person with more modest means.
I think that slang expression has a negative connotation almost like "filthy rich", and I think the poster I quoted was clearly being critical of those who bought pianos as furniture.

I'd like to reserve my right to be critical of anything I want to be critical about. In this case I am critical of buying a new piano just as furniture, on the grounds that it is a shocking waste of the planet's resources.

And while piano's are generally beautiful, and can indeed be beautiful furniture, I don't think this one is. But that's just me.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission