2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (AlphaTerminus, ando, Beowulf, CaseyVancouver, Brad Ford, bsalad, 8 invisible), 514 guests, and 563 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2813237 02/10/19 07:52 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Is anyone interested in becoming an online piano teacher?
If so what is the #1 thing stopping you from becoming an online teacher?

I am working on a course to help teachers into the online world of teaching and am wondering what are the things that get in the way.

I have been teaching for over 25 years and have been online for the last 8.

Thanks,
Sarah

I am an online piano teacher who has been teaching lessons to students around the world since 2010. I am launching a blog on teachpianoonline.com mid-February 2019 to be a resource for both online teachers and students
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
R
R
How did you find students from across the country?

Novice Private Piano Teacher

BA Music, Biology Minor

Yamaha G3, Yamaha P-515
S
OP Offline
S
In my opinion, the easiest way to find students:
1.) How many are you looking for- finding 10 is much easier than 100.
2.) When do you want to teach? Knowing when you have time in your schedule lets you know where to look
3.) Who are your dream students?
4.) Where do your dream students hang out?

Sarah

I am an online piano teacher who has been teaching lessons to students around the world since 2010. I am launching a blog on teachpianoonline.com mid-February 2019 to be a resource for both online teachers and students
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sarah Lyngra

I don't know why this makes me feel uncomfortable.

What is a "dream student"?

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by keystring

I don't know why this makes me feel uncomfortable.

What is a "dream student"?

I read this as:
3. Define the audience
4. Target the marketing

Learner
Originally Posted by malkin

I read this as:
3. Define the audience
4. Target the marketing

Got it. In my present profession we regularly get offers to learn some business strategies and these also get discussed. There is a generalized business model out there, and from time to time it gets applied to specific businesses. I've seen it.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think Ms. Lyngra should be purchasing a banner ad here on PianoWorld for her wares, not pretending to commence discussion. She posted the same remarks on a Piano Teacher Canada Facebook discussion board the same day.

All the same, I thank her for her helpful tip that it is easier to find 10 students than 100 students.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
2.) When do you want to teach? Knowing when you have time in your schedule lets you know where to look

I am a night owl, so I would love to teach 11 pm - 3 am, but I think my neighbors would kill me.

Private Piano Teacher and MTAC Member
Originally Posted by AZNpiano

I am a night owl, so I would love to teach 11 pm - 3 am, but I think my neighbors would kill me.

I've had lessons, as a student, at 1:00 a.m. and 2:00 a.m. My digital piano makes it possible for neighbours not to hear me. The point is that "where to look" doesn't work if this was meant geographically, because students can book a lesson any time day or night making where they live meaningless. The idea of geographic location is something one sees in businesses that operate locally, with people walking into the business, and similar.

Imho, It makes more sense for students to find you, by offering the kinds of services they are looking for, and make certain that this is visible for people to find. My impression is that a number of teachers in this forum are quite knowledgeable and experienced in this area. I've been wondering why this hasn't been opened as a dialogue among teachers, in information sharing.

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Peter K. Mose
I think Ms. Lyngra should be purchasing a banner ad here on PianoWorld for her wares, not pretending to commence discussion. She posted the same remarks on a Piano Teacher Canada Facebook discussion board the same day.

All the same, I thank her for her helpful tip that it is easier to find 10 students than 100 students.

Agree

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
S
OP Offline
S
Hi,

I am sorry I offended people by my questions about online teaching (and not having responding quickly to questions and PMs). I am working on being more of a regular on piano world, but get distracted by life, and honestly don't pick up on some of the subtleties (and PMs)

The question was from curiosity more than anything else. I would place a banner ad, if I was actually selling something, which, I'm not :-) I'm creating short (free) videos for people who are interested in becoming online teachers.

Here's an example of one https://vimeo.com/335060151.

Concerning the idea of Dream Students, the thought behind the question was more (and I don't really need to know the answer) if you were only able to teach one more students, who would that student be?

This is because when you put advertising out, it follows with the idea that when starting an online studio, learn to find one new student. (or 5 or 10) If you only could have one student, you would want one who you love teaching.

The difference between being an in person teacher vs. online, is that you aren't confined by geography and can teach students who are more suited to you. Local community teachers often take students that they wouldn't if they could be more selective.

When I am selling a course, yes, I will pay for advertising. But at the moment, I am simply curious.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist

I think it would be great if there was some kind of an international e-bay for online piano teachers, where teachers can present themselves, and students can contact them. However, who would start such a site? Or maybe Frank could add a new forum to PW - "Find an online piano teacher". cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
Sarah, it's good to see you back. I am thinking that a dialogue with other colleagues who teach on-line as part of what they are doing might be good, so that it's more of a back and forth. One of the teachers whose site I have visited on many occasions, and who teaches on-line is our Shirley Kirsten. I saw your link to a setup for a smart phone as a teaching device. I would think, though, that a real camera might give a better view to students. Even as a student, I quickly transitioned to a Logitec with stand because what I had was limited.

I hope Shirley doesn't mind me linking to her site.
Taking videos at random: Here we get to see the pedal foot, body position and movement, arm movement, and hands.
https://youtu.be/6do2wSJDj3Y?t=37

This one from the site is a Skype lesson. The camera shows a whole view of the student.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urH0vSMKwiM&list=PL6920BAB749817178&index=6&t=0s

Another on-line teacher for whom I have enormous respect is Jaak Sikk. He begins with how to get relaxed support with one single finger, and at the other end of the spectrum, this is a video response to a student, which is also made available to all students, so they can all learn from it. Again, the camera angle shows a lot of essential things, and can be adjusted to zoom in and out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE112OiT36Y

There are quite a few others.

Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RyanThePianist

Hi Ryan
Did you see the ‘sticky thread’ at the top of the Teachers Forum? Ads for teachers here are now free 😊. Why don’t you get an ad posted and see what happens. Frank has posted directions and examples in the announcement post. I would think if you were willing to teach after routine business hours, you could attract working adults.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Did it for a little while, it was okay, but kind of meh.

Things that get in the way~
Not in the same place as student, cannot reach across the interwebs to touch their hands or test out their piano which means one less tool in your toolbox.

Audio quality, internet connectivity issues

Would do it if the student had no other options (lives in remote area)

~piano teacher in training~

Moderated by  Ken Knapp 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:59 PM
KORG SP170S PANEL REMOVAL?
by Prof. Piano - 05/11/21 11:50 PM
WTC C-maj fugue (bk 1) analysis question
by hawgdriver - 05/11/21 10:55 PM
DP model numbers and years sold?
by ObtuseMoose - 05/11/21 10:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,876
Posts3,092,482
Members101,481
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission