2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
T
Nahum,
That is interesting about the hand application.

I had an experience a couple of years back that may be relevant.

I'm primarily a trombone player. One of the things I taught myself during a period overseas when practice time was quite limited was to be familiar with all key signatures. I did this by taking one key a week and working it every day note by note - two notes at a time for my entire range, then three, then four, etc. This built motor memory (I hate that term, it's really in your brain, but we know what I mean) separately for each key. This is good on trombone, because there is often a choice of position for a given note, and a scale in one key signature may use very different choices than in another. The trombone is an asymmetric instrument where some half steps are close and easy, others very hard. The advantage of this exercise was that no key signature became intimidating, and I could sightread music in longer phrases rather than note by note.

Then I injured my right shoulder. No problem, you can put a trombone together left handed just as easily.

Except, the scales were gone. Not from muscle memory, where I expected some impact, but from theoretical memory. I could no longer remember what notes were in a B major scale without stopping to think. Or in an Eb major scale that I've probably played many thousands of times.

gotta go practice
N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Improving Cognitive Function in Older Adults: Nontraditional Approaches
https://academic.oup.com/psychsocgerontology/article/62/Special_Issue_1/45/2965150

IMPROVING COGNITION THROUGH ACTIVATION OF AUTOMATIC PROCESSES

One area that has received a great deal of attention in improving everyday function of older adults is the area of medical adherence. This is a particularly salient issue for older adults, given that the cognitive declines that accompany normal aging ) may affect adherence by impeding older adults' ability to perform desirable health maintenance behaviors. A substantial literature on medical information processing indicates that older adults may have more difficulty comprehending, remembering, and following physician instructions compared to younger adults . One approach to improving medication adherence has been to train the component processes thought to underlie medication adherence, such as speed of processing, reasoning, and memory. Ball and colleagues demonstrated that although training on component processes improved performance on those component processes, the improvement did not transfer to activities of daily living (e.g., medication adherence). Another major approach has not involved training, but rather has relied on the provision of external cues and reminders ( or the reorganization of medical information to make it more memorable . These nontraining approaches have been relatively successful in facilitating adherence behavior.

Nevertheless, it is not always possible to rely on external cues or restructuring of information, and it would be very desirable to develop effective training or instructional techniques to foster improvement that rely on improving some aspect of cognitive function within the individual. One successful strategy for improving cognition in older adults might be to rely on cognitive processes that remain intact with age in the service of a particular goal, rather than attempting to train declining function.

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by TimR

Then I injured my right shoulder. No problem, you can put a trombone together left handed just as easily.

Of course you need a trombone for left-handers. During the period of military service, I began to play Dixieland on trombone; and it is exactly sewn on my character. But ... you cannot grasp the immensity! laugh

N
Nahum Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
N
I think that the readers of this topic will be interested to know how, depending on age, changes the time spent on studying and transferring to the keyboard polyrhythmic construction of West African music - only by ear, without notes.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/sFFMJQNsSL8?feature=player_detailpage&autoplay=1

- pattern of 6/4 from 0: 25

In youth, it could take me approx. 40 minutes . At this days , it took me 4 ,5 hours - three times for an hour and a half.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission