2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
58 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 10 invisible), 1,853 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 34 of 45 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 44 45
K
K
Originally Posted by RobR
I’m talking about the mechanical aspects of the action.

So am I. If "smart scaling" is a software feature, one can certainly ask if it only applies to the internal sound engine or external midi messages as well.

It’s not the same action.

Casio to Release a Slim and Stylish Digital Piano—The Slimmest in the World:

The newly developed Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard is what makes the slim 232mm depth possible.

CDP-S100 specs:

Slim body just 232 mm in depth

Casio has applied its highly compact construction technologies to achieve a size that is even smaller than previous CDP series. This compact piano can be played anywhere, in your own style.

So, unless you wish to claim that two entirely separate actions were designed from the ground up, one for the CDP series and another for the PX series, and both just happened to result in a chassis 232mm deep, I believe the actions are the same. Or, at least have a lot in common.

I believe the PX series' Smart Scaled Hammer Action = the CDP series' Scaled Hammer Action II + software-based "smartness."

K
K
Mike Martin of Casio, writing at the casio music forums:

Let me make this clear. Both the PX-S series and CDP series have a new action. This is complete redesign from the ground up.

While they are very similar mechanically the PX-S series provide additional technology over the CDP series which provides the unique scaling of all 88 keys.

I have covered this previously in a thread dedicated to the CDP-S series.

R
R
I got it! but for me the fact that they used new technology makes it a new action for me and it does feel different to me compared to CDPs I played.

He said it in his seminar about the PXS-3000, he said the new action is a new one and it’s better than all their previous actions.

K
K
I got it!

This matters to me because, in my country, the CDP-S100 will be priced at $500, while the PX-S3000 (includes stand + stool) will be priced at $1,000. If I can save $300-500 and use it towards a second (and better), dedicated piano later on, I would prefer to do that.

K
K
Hmm. A few people asked the same questions about the similarity between the CDP-S and PX-S actions over at The Keyboard Corner a couple of months back.

I am on page 14 (of 29) of PX-S thread. It surely is a page turner. Was the question answered? Stay tuned.

R
R
I don’t understand why you insist of making them similar. I’ve been following that MusicPlayer forum thread since its creation. I’ll save you the reading, there’re not the same action. The only similarities are those words: Hammer action, Casio, Privia. And that’s where the similarities end. Mike Martin said many times that they designed this new action from the ground up, including the smart scaling technology to the ivory key textures. He also said the action is better than any Privia action they did in the past.

Have you played the new Privias yet or are you just assuming they are similar? I’m curious.

Last edited by RobR; 05/28/19 07:07 PM.
K
K
Have you played the new Privias yet

They haven't launched here yet. Will happen early June. In any case, a demo isn't very likely for logistical reasons on the part of the store I normally visit. My buying decision will have to rely upon my experience with the PX-560 and the CDP-235 actions.

are you just assuming they are similar?

I am not assuming anything. "While they are very similar mechanically" are the words Mike has used to compare the CDP-S and PX-S actions.

The following two statements can be true at the same time:

• The CDP-S and PX-S actions are the same as far as the mechanics are concerned.
  • The CDP-S and PX-S actions are not the same due to "smartness" added to the PX-S action.

I’m curious.

I want a DP that I can use as a midi controller. The furniture/speakers etc are optional (I will take them if I get them).

If the CDP-S and PX-S actions are the same, mechanically, and:
  • the "smart scaling" only applies to the internal sound engine, I'd pick the CDP-S100.
  • the "smart scaling" also applies to midi messages sent to the host, I'd probably pick one of the Privias.

If they are not the same, mechanically, I'd probably pick one of the Privias.

Last edited by kj85; 05/28/19 07:59 PM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I played an S1000 at the dealer earlier today while picking up a DP.

I really, really liked the action - feels very precise and controllable and with a very pleasing amount of resistance. The texture of the actual keys is very nice to the touch. The keys and action by themselves are awesome and I would definitely be happy with this action in an instrument.

As for the sound of the thing I thought it was terrible - I literally could not find a single sound I enjoyed playing through the built in speakers - did not try it with headphones.

If Casio puts this action in an instrument with better physical controls instead of the god awful touch controls and with a sound engine that produces a pleasing piano sound I would definitely consider it when the lease for my ES8 runs out.

K
K
Originally Posted by Morten Olsson
If Casio puts this action in an instrument with better physical controls instead of the god awful touch controls and with a sound engine that produces a pleasing piano sound

If they do with this series what they did with the previous one, additional Privia and Celviano models should appear in the next year or two. Rumors/reading tea leaves on a couple of forums (from earlier in the year) suggest that another PX-S may launch this year while a PX-5S upgrade could launch in 2020.

As for the sound of the thing I thought it was terrible - I literally could not find a single sound I enjoyed playing through the built in speakers

Just to clarify, you don't like the sound generated by the sound engine, right? The speakers, in and by themselves, are okay?

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I've listened to all the sound demos of PX-S3000 posted on the Casio website (there's a link in this thread) through my headphones and I can't find a single one that I like. It's not about the speakers in the piano.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
@kj85: I couldn't tell you how much was because of the speakers and how much was the actual sound engine. I believe it's a combination of both. The demos I've heard recorded directly from the instrument sound decent if not great so I suspect it would be improved with headphones or external speakers.

K
K
Originally Posted by CyberGene
I've listened to all the sound demos of PX-S3000 posted on the Casio website (there's a link in this thread) through my headphones and I can't find a single one that I like.

These?

https://casio.jp/emi/products/pxs1000/
https://casio.jp/emi/products/pxs3000/

I also found this:

https://music.casio.co.uk/pxs1000

I am not very picky about the sound, as long as it sounds like a piano and isn't absolutely terrible.

Originally Posted by CyberGene
It's not about the speakers in the piano.

While I use decent $100 headphones (ATH-M50x), my computer speakers are USB-powered $5 white-labeled Chinese stuff. So, if I ever wanted to listen to my VSTs on speakers, I am sure the Casio ones would be far superior to my current solution.

K
K
I suspect it would be improved with headphones or external speakers.

I use headphones about 95% of the time. So may not be an issue for me.

But, if the action is merely acceptable (there are better actions), the sound engine is sub-par (according to some people) and the speakers are sub-par (again, according to some people), one has to wonder what it is that one is getting when one pays $1,000 for an S3000.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
To me the action was way more than acceptable - I liked it more than any comparable DP price wise - it just felt really good. I’m not interested in pivot length or nuances of playing close to the board so your mileage will vary smile

K
K
I’m not interested in pivot length or nuances of playing close to the board so your mileage will vary smile

I have seen people playing into the keys, but, based on the current state of my playing, I may not get there for a few years.

After looking at a lot of models, I had originally considered getting the MP11SE but I was not willing to pay $4,500 for something that sells for half the price in other places.

So it looks like I am either getting a CDP-S100, or a PX-S3000 depending on what kind of deal I get.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
how much more are models like P515, FP-90, ES-8 compared to the S3000 where you are located? These might be worth looking into also - in my experience all of these sound way better and all have very nice actions as well.
The FP-90 sound is special in that it is modeled and not sampled and tends to put some people off while others love it for the playability.

K
K
how much more are models like P515, FP-90, ES-8 compared to the S3000 where you are located?

FP-90: Roland availability is spotty (and warranty service is probably not on their radar). But if I manage to locate one, it would cost about $3,000.

P515: Yamaha doesn't sell this model in India. The P255 was not available either. The CLP645 is available though, for $2,200-2,500. But their warranty only covers the electronics, and that too only for one year.

ES-8: Should be easily available for about $1,800-$2,000.

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
Personally I would definitely go with the ES8 over the Casio for the sound - maybe you could demo each and see if you feel the same ?

R
R
All 3 have great action (FP-90, PX-S1000 and ES8). If you don't plan to use vsts and prefer an all-in-one machine for all your piano needs, ES8 was the best sounding to my ears through speakers. With headphones, they all sounded inferior to my spoiled ears that are used to stuff like VSL CFX, so don't take my word for it.

Last edited by RobR; 05/29/19 03:00 PM.
K
K
Personally I would definitely go with the ES8 over the Casio for the sound - maybe you could demo each and see if you feel the same ?

I have played the CN37 which has the same RHIII action as the ES8 but with PHI, instead of HI-XL, as the sound engine. I am sure I won't have any issues with the sound.

Thing is, with something like the CDP-S100 (or even the PX-S1000), I don't have to restrict myself to just one. I can always get another DP in a few months if I feel like I am going to need one.

|----|

I use a midi-controller with semi-weighted keys connected to a PC as a piano. While the action is not particularly conducive to piano playing, it is way better than my bulky Yamaha keyboard. And one benefit is I can keep playing while I am doing other stuff on the computer. (I am doing that even as I type this response)

So, I was looking for a DP that would replace the controller as the piano keyboard. With consoles, I would have had to adjust my workflow (introducing a second PC into the mix), and with the VPC1/MP11SE, I would have had to visit my carpenter's shop and have him make me a new wooden table+chair that would allow for positioning the slab.

These slim Casios look like they would make perfect midi-controllers and are almost a drop-in replacement for my existing controller (probably an inch-and-a-half taller, but that can be managed).

|----|

There are weird considerations like these in addition to some models/brands simply not being available/being priced exorbitantly.

Page 34 of 45 1 2 32 33 34 35 36 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission