2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
58 members (adamcz, anotherscott, Calavera, AlphaBravoCharlie, Bill McKaig,RPT, Beemer, 24000rpm, bsalad, bounced, 10 invisible), 598 guests, and 703 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
If you had been here long ago you might have said that Yamaha was the default recommendation. smile
Originally Posted by KL NY
Kawai is almost always the default recommendation ...

Originally Posted by Abdol
Name something innovative about CP88 other than being a ROMPler?

Why does the CP88 need to be innovative? It's a stage piano - the priorities should be on providing a good keyboard action, a good selection of sounds, and an intuitive interface.

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Why does the CP88 need to be innovative? It's a stage piano - the priorities should be on providing a good keyboard action, a good selection of sounds, and an intuitive interface.

Cheers,
James
x

If we compare the technology Yamaha has at hand, CP88 has less technology in it compared to CP4 and its high-end digital pianos. The "synthesis engine" is purely sample playback. This is somewhat questionable because the DP department takes a different approach and does add neat features to its higher-end digital pianos. P-515 is a really nice digital piano identical or better action and sounds better in my opinion.

My humble guess is Yamaha is trying to imitate Nord but they're short in budget. They cut down the features in their CP series and decreased the design complexity of releasing new sample libraries. Of course, the most important point is that they reduced the production and future support costs as it most likely uses the same engine as MONTAGE does. The only dynamic difference is the CP88 exclusive sample libraries, the rest are static, better action (compared to Montage8) and a different interface do not need any changes over time. Obviously, loading new samples on an instrument is an appealing concept, it makes users happy and makes them feel "satisfied" but the expressiveness of the instrument is questionable.

So the innovation is not user-oriented but profit oriented. This makes 100% sense for Yamaha but 0% to me. When I purchased my piano, I was looking for a complex instrument, not another AWM2 sample-playback keyboard.

Anyway, that's just my personal opinion. CP88 is a nice instrument. Great action and some neat samples. To me this is Yamaha's effort to fit the S90XX series into Nord's interface.

We can also ask the same question about Kawai/Korg/Roland etc: Why they put this much detail in their stage piano unlike Yamaha?

Last edited by Abdol; 05/22/19 08:42 PM.

Kawai MP7SE, Yamaha MOTF XF6, Yamaha WX5, Yamaha Pacifica 112v
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
If you had been here long ago you might have said that Yamaha was the default recommendation. smile
Originally Posted by KL NY
Kawai is almost always the default recommendation ...

Nowadays, the default recommendation seems to be “get a teacher”. Though “you gotta go and try them yourself” is coming in a close 2nd. wink

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Kawai James

Cheers,
James
x

Hi KJ,

The CP88 is price innovative because it's a Nord-esque instrument you don't have to sell your mother-in-law in order to afford ;-) lol...

Why I like it is because Yamaha have thought very hard about how they want it to be different and decided that a good chunk of people would like a Nord but don't want to mortgage their house.

Casio have thought: A good chunk of people would like a light stage piano that can be battery powered that looks really swanky and is perfect for weddings and out-door venues.
Kawai have thought: quite a few of the market want a higher quality action and a more piano like experience with their stage piano.
Roland have thought: we want an all singing and dancing stage piano with arranger like functionality and modelled piano sound and competitive action.

I can't think of a better time to buy an instrument! So many good choices to suit all needs.

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
I
I
CP88 looks much cooler than the MP11SE imo. I am thinking of getting a CP88 too. Really love the design and the user interface. Looks cool even when I am not playing it!
MP11SE is one of the ugliest boards in the category... Would never get one no matter how realistic/ grand-like the key action is.

Last edited by iPractiseEveryday; 05/27/19 01:37 AM.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Why do concert grands have a better treble?
by Sonepica - 08/05/21 04:58 AM
A Kawai VPC1 Stand designed with FreeCAD
by Guy Turcotte - 08/04/21 11:09 PM
How Can I Add Pitch Wheel To My Rig?
by soundchaser59 - 08/04/21 08:07 PM
Kawai ES920 VS Yamaha P515
by Riccardo92 - 08/04/21 06:53 PM
Near-Equal Temperament
by Andonoff - 08/04/21 02:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,377
Posts3,119,287
Members102,322
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission