2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (BlakeOR, Calavera, Alex Hutor, ando, chaplincap, AlphaTerminus, Animisha, 14 invisible), 605 guests, and 593 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Indeed, that came as a surprise, first of all because Yamaha release new firmware updates once a century, and then because that wasn't communicated in any possible way. It's a shame an important update like that is currently discussed only here. I actually checked whether there's an update for N1X too because, you know... why not smile Maybe it's not just the loud note issue but a better interpretation of key sensors? Reminds me why I have ignored Yamaha for such a long time smile

Sounds like we will only know of N1X updates in the future because one of us on the forum checks or is told to check. confused

BTW, this is not only an issue of Yamaha not telling their customers. They don't tell their dealers either. For example, my Yamaha dealer where I bought my N1X (due in two days! thumb ) does a brisk business for Yamaha. They even have a Yamaha-certified technician. Yet their N3X floor model has the broken version of the TRS system and I had to be the to tell them that there is a service update to fix this. So Yamaha keeps their dealers in the dark too.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Could this be linked to the well-known cultural characteristic of Japanese people to avoid admitting mistakes? Reminds me of the NV10 thread too and the buzzing issue. But admittedly Kawai are light years ahead in admitting mistakes and preparing firmware updates smile

Last edited by CyberGene; 05/22/19 12:23 PM.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
B
B
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
If they fixed it with an algorithm, they probably used machine learning to get there, and this may be so far out of their regular ways that it took them years to realize that they needed to go down that path.

But of course they can't have it both ways, so in the past having denied there being a problem, they can't really announce now the new functionality with a great fanfare.

I'm a bit skeptical that they'd introduce machine learning if they weren't already using it for other things on this device. I bet the instrument is pretty constrained on CPU, memory, and storage.

It occurs to me, we missed an opportunity as a forum. Those of us with NU1Xs could have created a library of midi files with loud notes. Not just trills or repeats, but especially where they were present in the playing of actual compositions. We could have then reasonably easily labelled the bad notes and had a terrific training set to experiment with our own algorithms, even if it wasn't going to be possible to patch them to the instrument itself. Would have been fun. But hey, Yamaha did the job, so hey!

I suppose one way we may know what Yamaha did here is to watch their patent filings. Which brings up another possibility- perhaps the reason it took so long for a patch was because they did indeed have some IP filings to square away first.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Pianoteq & Logic; Yamaha Reface DX & YC
Past: Yamaha CP4, CME UF8, Roland A80, Roland MK80, Yamaha P22 upright
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BradleyG
I'm a bit skeptical that they'd introduce machine learning if they weren't already using it for other things on this device. I bet the instrument is pretty constrained on CPU, memory, and storage.

I believe QuasiUnaFantasia didn't mean that they are now running a machine learning algorithm on the DP, but only that the algorithm likely was developed using machine learning. This sort of thing is done all the time, and the resulting algorithms are often used on slow embedded controllers.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Could anyone tell me if Im purchasing a new Nu1x when I could reasonable expect the piano to be already loaded with the v2.10 software. Not sure I can rely on a dealer knowing this information. Just wondering if recent purchasers of Nu1x had the 2.00 software update loaded on or did everyone have to do that update themselves ? Does it list in the manual or in the piano menus what software is loaded on the piano? Could I expect the dealer to do the update for me or is it really easy?
Thanks again.

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
It’s so easy to update smile Don’t worry.

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
B
B
Originally Posted by Chantel
Just wondering if recent purchasers of Nu1x had the 2.00 software update loaded on or did everyone have to do that update themselves ? Does it list in the manual or in the piano menus what software is loaded on the piano? Could I expect the dealer to do the update for me or is it really easy?
Thanks again.

Mine had 2.00 when it arrived. I recall seeing a manufacture date somewhere in my paperwork. I can check that when I get home and see how it compares to the publication of the 2.00 update (if the update is still available online).

My instrument was delivered to me boxed and bound, so I'm pretty sure my dealer did not do the update. The update was pretty easy, but there may be some gotchas if you are using a Mac.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Pianoteq & Logic; Yamaha Reface DX & YC
Past: Yamaha CP4, CME UF8, Roland A80, Roland MK80, Yamaha P22 upright
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by BradleyG

I believe QuasiUnaFantasia didn't mean that they are now running a machine learning algorithm on the DP, but only that the algorithm likely was developed using machine learning. This sort of thing is done all the time, and the resulting algorithms are often used on slow embedded controllers.

Precisely! If properly constructed the model could probably be contained in a few hundred bytes (or even less), and the execution of it would be very fast and undemanding in terms of RAM.

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.0 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you!

C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you. I do have Mac. 😢😱. I can always get someone e with a pc to do the download to a stick. Am I right in thinking after download is on stick I just turn piano on after inserted or insert stick after piano is turned on? Sorry I’m useless with tec. It’s embarrassing.😟

P
P
Originally Posted by Chantel
Thank you. I do have Mac. 😢😱. I can always get someone e with a pc to do the download to a stick. Am I right in thinking after download is on stick I just turn piano on after inserted or insert stick after piano is turned on? Sorry I’m useless with tec. It’s embarrassing.😟

There are instructions complete with pictures when you download the update. Basically you turn off the DP. Insert the flash drive into the USB port, turn it on holding down the Play/Pause key and follow the instructions. The whole thing takes less than 5 minutes.

BTW if you are getting the NU1X and want to use the Smart Pianist app you will need to get the WiFi adapter for it. It has an absurd US price of $150 but you should be able to negotiate that down quite a bit or get it thrown in for "free" when you purchase the piano.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
I
I
Seriously, why is the white version out of stock everywhere? I have 11 different retailers on my list, one of them being Thomann, and none have the white version in stock. What’s up with that...

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Mine came also with version 2.0, so chances are high a new bought instrument is updated with the newest version.

A manual update is done less than 2 minutes and easy to do (and thank you Yamaha for not stealing me 2 hours of playtime like Kawai ;))

@ iLogic: Where are you from?

Last edited by Tyr; 05/22/19 02:31 PM.

Kawai: NV5 | VPC1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Very helpful thanks again

C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you for letting me know this.

I
I
Originally Posted by Tyr
Mine came also with version 2.0, so chances are high a new bought instrument is updated with the newest version.

A manual update is done less than 2 minutes and easy to do (and thank you Yamaha for not stealing me 2 hours of playtime like Kawai ;))

@ iLogic: Where are you from?

Sweden

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oneilt130
BTW if you are getting the NU1X and want to use the Smart Pianist app you will need to get the WiFi adapter for it. It has an absurd US price of $150 but you should be able to negotiate that down quite a bit or get it thrown in for "free" when you purchase the piano.

In the case of the Yamaha N1X that I just bought, I did get the dealer to "throw it in for free" (I put quotes around this, since of course, the dealer made enough money to cover the dealer-cost of the adapter, so "free" is not really free to me).

[Linked Image]

C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Canada

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by iLogic
Seriously, why is the white version out of stock everywhere? I have 11 different retailers on my list, one of them being Thomann, and none have the white version in stock. What’s up with that...

The white version is available on kirstein.de and a rather cheap delivery option for sweden available.

https://www.kirstein.de/en/Digital-Pianos/Yamaha-NU1XPBW-Hybrid-Piano-Weiss-Hochglanz.html

Last edited by Tyr; 05/22/19 04:48 PM.

Kawai: NV5 | VPC1
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | VI Labs: Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Keysuite Grand | Minigrand
P
P
Originally Posted by Tyr
Originally Posted by iLogic

The white version is available on kirstein.de and a rather cheap delivery option for sweden available.

https://www.kirstein.de/en/Digital-Pianos/Yamaha-NU1XPBW-Hybrid-Piano-Weiss-Hochglanz.html

Does anyone have any thoughts on why the white version is so much more than the black?

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, dabling with PianoTeq
Page 5 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 17 18

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES 110
by Bebe1980 - 05/15/21 09:10 AM
Key weight after regulation
by alabana - 05/15/21 08:50 AM
RE: Kurzweil SP88X
by Micahjd - 05/15/21 07:43 AM
Recital #62 - May 15th 2021
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:20 AM
Recital #62 - General Discussion Room
by AB Forum Recital - 05/15/21 06:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,945
Posts3,093,840
Members101,529
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission