2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AndyOnThePiano2, APianistHasNoName, AlkansBookcase, Charles Cohen, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
A few years ago I came across a set of YouTube videos posted by Mario Ajero in the US. You can do a search on the name on YouTube and his videos would come up including starting piano lessons for children.

He is a father with a degree in piano pedagogy and a piano teacher to his children (Antonio "Nio" and Olivia). I watched some of their videos including piano recitals, father & son playing piano duets. It is assumed a parent teaching their kids is harder than strangers but Mario has done a wonderful job.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Interesting, thank you. :-)

Pianist, independent music arranger, violinist, mother
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi there ShyPianist,

smile
I thought you might find the Artistry at the Piano series interesting to add to your collection, especially since your son is 12.

https://artistryalliance.net/

~piano teacher in training~
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by hello my name is
Hi there ShyPianist,

smile
I thought you might find the Artistry at the Piano series interesting to add to your collection, especially since your son is 12.

https://artistryalliance.net/

Hi, I’ve just seen this. I’ll take a look, thank you.

B
B
What a great thread! Take a bow, ShyPianist, for taking the time to do this with your son. Just want to wish you and your son the best in this endeavor. No matter how it comes out pianistically, you're both winners for the time you spend together. Over and out.

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by BigIslandGuy
What a great thread! Take a bow, ShyPianist, for taking the time to do this with your son. Just want to wish you and your son the best in this endeavor. No matter how it comes out pianistically, you're both winners for the time you spend together. Over and out.

Thank you so much!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShyPianist
Originally Posted by Candywoman

ShyPianist: Some of the knowledge I'm talking about you could conceivably learn on your own, but could learn faster from a piano teacher.

Yes and no. What I categorically don't want is to learn one person's method of teaching. I want to appraise all the information and research there is out there (as much as possible) and form my own judgements. That's what widespread reading and personal experience can do, and attending CPD courses if that's possible, and what learning from one single teacher would most probably not do. I agree a mentor could certainly be helpful, but not simply a local piano teacher because who's to say they are any more qualified to teach me about teaching than I am myself? So I need to find a teacher who takes people up to diploma level and beyond. Those are normally affiliated to music colleges and I am hundreds of miles away from one of those. So I expect you now understand the issues. As I said there is very clearly a big culture difference between the USA and the UK in this respect.

By the way, I relate to you in this area quite a bit. And I'm telling you, it's a big world out there! I spent an entire year immersed in forums, Facebook groups, collecting materials and books, finding role models, figuring out how they taught what they taught, because I can't remember what 5 year old me learned and you find out that all these things that come so naturally and intuitively to you now have to be taught and how in the world do you do that?! It was quite an adventure finding out why in the world all these methods existed and for all intents and purposes, pedagogy does not necessarily exclude informal study! Piano pedagogy is the study of teaching piano, which is exactly what you are doing. It does take a lot of time. I was working part-time that year so I had a lot of time to devote to research.... Different students have different areas of weakness and it will be easier for you since it's just your child and you know your child's particularities. I had a sassy transfer teenager who in so many words told me the fingering I wanted her to use "hurt" instead of whatever funny thing she came up with and... ugh.. here I am like, what do you mean, it hurts?! I have never had that problem! I also realized, fingering, not an area I've spent much time thinking or learning about....

I love Irina Gorin's work particularly for teaching young beginners and I think it is exemplified well by her students' beautiful playing. She has a number of videos showing how she teaches certain skills, perhaps you'd find helpful.

Piano Safari is also an up and coming new method that I find very intriguing.

Have fun!

~piano teacher in training~
A
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
A
Piano Safari is also an up and coming new method that I find very intriguing.

I love Piano Safari! smile

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission