2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Carey, AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, 6 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you.
Perhaps the Bosendorfer through the speakers and the cfx through headphones would be a great way to go. I know people don’t like the Bosendorfer sound on those pianos but perhaps for me coming from an acoustic it may help speaker fatigue. I get you about the headphones sound of cfx it sounded really great.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Pete14
Not trying to speculate, but seriously, why are we so certain that this upgrade is intended to deal with the “loud note” issue? Yamaha simply says ‘....improved playability..’

This is where we really miss CyberGene being a NU1X owner. By now he would have this upgrade completely broken down, analyzed and video demos of the changes.

We don't know at the moment if it actually fixes it. Just from my limited before and after testing for 5 minutes it seems to be reduced. After a few days of playing I should have a better handle on it. I never really came across it that often so it's hard for me to tell. I can understand Yamaha not mentioning that this issue was fixed because they never considered in an issue and the first thing your corporate legal department will tell you is to never acknowledge a problem with your product unless you absolutely have to. Or as someone at a large software company once told me, we don't have bugs, we have programming anomalies. smile

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oneilt130
Or as someone at a large software company once told me, we don't have bugs, we have programming anomalies. smile

Ok, that makes sense, because all the programming anomalies are features! grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
CG could hop on a train (flash drive in hand) head to the nearest dealer, upgrade the heck out of that there NU1X, go about testing all systems, and then report his findings back to the mothership. shocked

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by CyberGene
From that point of view, the action in N1X feels meatier but in a rather bad way, requiring more force and ultimately being more tiring for the hands. Again, that's only the mechanical feel. In reality I've been able to control dynamics better on the N1X and ultimately I play (much) better on N1X. However NU1X feels to me more familiar and if it wasn't for the loud note issue and the inconsistent velocity issues I've had, I would have lived perfectly with it.

IMO, this has less to do with upright versus grand, and more to do with how Yamaha's hybrid actions feel. When I play the NU1/NU1X/N1/N2/N3/N3X, I felt that they all had a stiffer-than-normal response than what I was used to with 6'+ Yamaha grands or the older Yamaha U3 uprights I normally play. They're just not light actions at all (which I think is a preference issue and not a complaint). I also found the NV10's Millennium III action a bit stiffer than ideal, but a better balance between a "practice" and a "performance" action than the AGs' especially stiff action. Just my personal experience there.

Originally Posted by Pete14
Not trying to speculate, but seriously, why are we so certain that this upgrade is intended to deal with the “loud note” issue? Yamaha simply says ‘....improved playability..’

+1. Other than the folks providing direct feedback on the new patch, I think there's a\ bit of unfounded speculation at this point. One question--is this update available for the NU1 as well? If so I can give it a try (since the underlying sensing system should be identical between the two). I experience the loud note issue multiple times on any piece I play (probably due to HOW I play) and have always been able to repro the issue on demand. Unlike CyberGene, I do feel the issue CAN be largely alleviated with a firmware change, but it depends a lot on how you play and what kind of response you expect from the key/action.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
CyberGene you play beautifully. If I could play like you I would buy the n1x and call it a day.
I hope you don’t regret buying that piano because I for sure could hear and see how wonderfully you expressed on it.
As I said I’m not an experienced pianist but I am an artist and musical. I agree there is something liberating when I sit at an upright and I just feel more playful and less, Intimidated, is probable the best word. Having said that every time I sit at a grand and feel a grand action I want to play emotively. It feels like a privilege to sit at a nice grand and feel what I would describe as a more delicate action. My teacher has a Shigeru Kawai and It is really wonderful. I just can’t play well enough to truly take advantage. I did sit at a Yamaha AVn1 the older model AV and it felt really great. It’s just out of my budget and probable and as I said not needed. Like I said if I could play like you CyberGene I would get it and for sure find the money to get the latest model x.
Interesting I found the clp 685 felt more like an upright action than a grand action. Did anyone else feel that way.

C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thank you Gombessa. I think I am use to a firmer K200 action so Nu1x felt fine and n1 felt lighter. I think if the loud note software update controls the loud notes a lot Nu1x is probable the one for me. Not hearing a lot of love for the clp685. I think it was the slightly less icy metallic sound to the speakers that I liked about the 685.
Thanks again

Last edited by Chantel; 05/20/19 12:22 PM.
B
B
I installed the update this morning. Before doing it my testing for the loud not issue was just playing C and D as fast as I could at a low volume trying not to lift key completely. I couldn't duplicate it as well as CyberGene but I was able to get it to happen once every 5-10 seconds with this test.

oneilt130, I'm planning on doing the update when I get home from work tonight. Do you know what file system format you used for your USB key? I'm going to be doing this from a Mac, and my recollection from trying (and failing) to do this with my CP4 a long time ago was that it was a pain generating a key that the instrument would recognized.

I plan on doing my best to sort out some repeatable ( :P ) AB tests to see if I can glean the difference the update brings.

Current: Yamaha NU1X, Reface YC, YC61; Pianoteq & Logic
Past: Yamaha DX, CP4; CME UF8, Roland A80, MK80, Alpha Juno 2; Yamaha P22 upright
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chantel
CyberGene you play beautifully. If I could play like you I would buy the n1x and call it a day.
I hope you don’t regret buying that piano because I for sure could hear and see how wonderfully you expressed on it.
As I said I’m not an experienced pianist but I am an artist and musical. I agree there is something liberating when I sit at an upright and I just feel more playful and less, Intimidated, is probable the best word. Having said that every time I sit at a grand and feel a grand action I want to play emotively. It feels like a privilege to sit at a nice grand and feel what I would describe as a more delicate action. My teacher has a Shigeru Kawai and It is really wonderful. I just can’t play well enough to truly take advantage. I did sit at a Yamaha AVn1 the older model AV and it felt really great. It’s just out of my budget and probable and as I said not needed. Like I said if I could play like you CyberGene I would get it and for sure find the money to get the latest model x.
Interesting I found the clp 685 felt more like an upright action than a grand action. Did anyone else feel that way.

Thanks for the nice words! smile Well, I'm not sorry to purchase the N1X, quite on the contrary, I'm actually happy that all those issues with my NU1X ultimately contributed for me to be ripe for purchasing the N1X which I can describe as the love of my musical life smile Right at the time of purchasing the NU1X I though that was the maximum budget I should spend for a digital instrument and owning it for a month made me realize I'm ready for even more than that.

Well, my sentiment about the NU1X is most probably coming from my youth with an upright. I'm sure N1X is the better instrument in any respect but sometimes the nostalgia can be stronger than reason. You can even blame it on the fact I've grown up in a rather poor family and I've been taught to have guilt over any purchase smile Although I haven't broken my bank account I still experience some inbuilt guilt from time to time which is I'm not a professional musician and why would I need a N1X when there are real pianists who might need it but can't afford it... Sorry for the emotional offtopic smile

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by BradleyG
I installed the update this morning. Before doing it my testing for the loud not issue was just playing C and D as fast as I could at a low volume trying not to lift key completely. I couldn't duplicate it as well as CyberGene but I was able to get it to happen once every 5-10 seconds with this test.

oneilt130, I'm planning on doing the update when I get home from work tonight. Do you know what file system format you used for your USB key? I'm going to be doing this from a Mac, and my recollection from trying (and failing) to do this with my CP4 a long time ago was that it was a pain generating a key that the instrument would recognized.

I plan on doing my best to sort out some repeatable ( :P ) AB tests to see if I can glean the difference the update brings.

Using Windows I took a USB drive and removed the contents then copied over the NU1XSETUP.PRG file. Plugged that into the NU1X and followed the update instructions. The whole process took very little time. The only downside is it appears to have cleared the WiFi settings so I will have to put those back tonight.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
We await thee, BradleyG, for in thee rests the weight of that-there loud note which has prevented our brethren from reaching thy promise land. We await thee, BradleyG! laugh

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Although I haven't broken my bank account I still experience some inbuilt guilt from time to time which is I'm not a professional musician and why would I need a N1X when there are real pianists who might need it but can't afford it... Sorry for the emotional offtopic smile

This reminds me of a Reddit thread I read 6 months ago (LOL, my memory thing again LOL) which was someone announcing they bought a nice hybrid - might have been an N3X and posted pics. One of the commenters, who appeared to be either a piano teacher or someone who makes their living playing piano commented a very discouraging and bitter message about how "of course" the OP wasn't a piano professional because of course piano professionals like this commenter were just trying to make ends meet and could never afford such a luxury instrument. I don't think the comments were well received, as you could guess, but it did make me wonder if it is true that most purchasers of high-end pianos - whether digital or acoustic - don't actually "deserve" them from a skill perspective. I know I will not be deserving mine. (Although maybe it will cause me to work harder on my piano skills in striving to deserve it some day! thumb )

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
C
Chantel Offline OP
OP Offline
C
You are right CyberGene.
I know that guilt feeling as I grew up poor also. 1960s family with 6 children. Don’t hear that much anymore. We would never been able to afford a piano a or lessons. Thats’s why I had to wait until I was an adult to start and an old one at that. I think you are a little younger than I but I if could just say although pianos are not food to eat, music and a wonderful instrument that lets you express yourself has got to be right up there with the best things you can do for quality of life and health. It is money well we’ll spent, which I think you know. Trust me money goes places. You should see what people are spending on cars in Toronto. It is crazy and I get a funny feeling folks that spend money on them are not getting the satisfaction out of their hundred thousand dollar vehicles as you from your much less expensive investment. Like I said if I could play like you. Think of all the years you have invested into your passion. Trust me you deserve that piano.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E
I have an acquaintance who is very well to do and brought an expensive Yamaha Grand Piano for his kids. Only one of the several children ever took lessons. His comment was well I tried and the piano looks great in my home.

Also a relative from in-laws is extremely well to do. Made his fortune in the insurance business. Brought a nice Steinway piano but none of the children play at all. At least when he holds parties for business execs. he hires a professional to play the piano smile

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by EPW
...brought an expensive ...

... Brought a nice ...

Unless I'm much mistaken, you mean "bought".

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
You are mistaken, Sir.
The acquaintance, who is very well to do, brought the Yamaha from a distant land called Japan.
The relative, extremely well to do, brought a nice Steinway from a trip to Germany.

E
EPW Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
E

LOL
Actually the relative might of got the Steinway from overseas. He travels extensively.

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
I
I
Fingers crossed this is the answer to all of our hopes and dreams of the NU1/X being the piano it was meant to be without any unintentional shortcomings. Loud note, be gone!

I’m not holding my breath though. The realist and pessimist in me are usually correct.

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
BradleyG, are you there yet? Is the loud note gone?

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I will install this tonight and test it. The loud note issue occured very occasionally during my plays but i know how to force it.

Last edited by Tyr; 05/21/19 05:35 AM.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
Page 2 of 18 1 2 3 4 17 18

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission