2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
52 members (bcalvanese, 1957, beeboss, 7sheji, Aylin, Barly, accordeur, 36251, 20/20 Vision, 8 invisible), 1,403 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
hello all. this is jack, its my first post. very happy my account would work .and I have a question about to choiceing a piano for myself, first of all I LOVE piano very mush, I watched so many vids try to compear the Sounds but I still cannot make a choice, so I have to ask you PRO.

For me , I want to play it,but never go for a show or something, just stay at home and enjoy it. and I like Jazz very much, all kinds jazz I guess, only one classical music which is Hungarian Rhapsody no.2 .
I will play them no matter what. so I will keep trying. keep learning.
now I have to chooice
1 Roland RD-2000 sounds little bit harder but im not sure is it good ? (maybe should wait for new RD, new sound and keyboard.)
2 YAMAHA CP-88 always light and soft, kind of real also fake
3 Korg Grandstage newest one should be better, sounds good
4 Kawai MP11SE dont know why has to be MP11SE, why cannot be MP12? so just a little bit upgradet? couldnt do a new one ? whats the SE mean?
(The most curious and the most worried one)

I dont know whcih one has very good quality, and the SOUND is good for the JAZZ, maybe also could play the jazz drum for me to solo? LOL. is it too much ?
never saw any videos that make them to battle , and I dont think there will be any one new model in 2019 NAMM or 2020 NAMM .so maybe its time to do it.
please tell me which one should I buy, they all same price so its not a problems for me to buy one.

Thank you very mush !

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
If you are looking for a piano, and not an electronic keyboard, the best is the MP11SE.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
My choice is (and was) the MP11SE.

I am totally happy with it.

Great touch and sound.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by China_Jack
4 Kawai MP11SE dont know why has to be MP11SE, why cannot be MP12? so just a little bit upgradet? couldnt do a new one ? whats the SE mean?

"SE" means "Second Edition". This version of the MP11 adds new Shigeru Kawai piano samples, a new triple pedal unit, remodelled design, and various other improvements, yet is still based on the existing functionality of the MP11.

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
I think you'll need either:

. . . good headphones, or

. . . two good "powered monitor" (amplifier + loudspeaker).

There are many threads, here, which will give you possibilities.

Two more questions:

. . . Do you have a piano now? What kind?

. . . Do you have a teacher now ?

Thanks --

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
C
OP Offline
C
heloo
yes I have good monitor
and so far I only tryed Korg Kronos2 and Roland HP-508

both sounds good, roland is mush harder than the korg . and korg is very good
so far I dont have teacher, I am lookin for it .

C
OP Offline
C
hello james
will the MP12 coming soon ? part of me always want a very new model. and more sound will be better.

oh and one more thing, could you please tell me is there any chinese manual for MP11SE? cause that would be much easier to handle. thank you

Last edited by China_Jack; 05/20/19 06:07 AM.
C
OP Offline
C
after all videos

its gonna YAMAHA CP-88 VS KAWAI MP11SE

go yamaha ?
go kawai ?

A
A
I would say go Kawai all the way. They have a well deserved reputation for producing the best actions you could find on a DP unless you buy an hybrid (and Kawai one is excellent too anyway)

Yamaha did a fantastic job on their early 2000 clavinova CLP-990 which was one of the very finest action you could find in a DP, but everything afterward has been severly downgraded except their hybrids (which are much more pricey of course). When Yamaha realized people would apparently still buy more Yamaha than any other brand whilst they continued to significantly downgrade the action and compensate with marketing, they went full "profits above all". Kawai didn't and still continues to refine its finest actions even if it means less margins for them (the outstanding action of the CLP-990 certainly costed more to produce than the actions in most high-range clavinovas of today).

So yes, Kawai MP11SE without a doubt for me, plus the new shigeru samples seems highly regarded. The Shigerus being exceptional acoustic pianos in their own merits.

Kawai MP9500
Edirol UA-25
VST: NI Noire mainly, Pianoteq 6, Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2, NI The Grandeur
AKG Headphones K240 Studio
Occasionally plays on THULE Audio Hi-Fi amp + Dynaudio Contour speakers.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
after all videos

go yamaha ?
go kawai ?

MP11SE

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
A
A
Sorry for the Yamaha fans here but don't go and fall for the CP-88 over the Kawai MP11SE. The CP-88 is crap born of deceptive marketing ploys and greed for money, no less. Plain and simple.

The so-called wooden action called GH3/Natural Wood is not! It's just some plastic keys (and short at that!) with a thin sticker (yes a sticker!) of wood veneer slapped on each sides of the keys to make you believe the keys are entirely wooden. It's bordering scam, it's deceptive and manipulative marketing tactics born of greed.

The CP-88 is absolutely no match for the MP11SE and here's why:

Here's Yamaha so called "natural wood" action that's in the CP-88:

[Linked Image]

Here's Kawai GF action with REAL wooden keys that's in the MP11SE and compared to a real grand:

[Linked Image]

Do I need to say more? mad

(oh and that's not even accounting for the fact that the CP-88 has a hammers-underneath-the-keys configuration that is certainly not as ideal as the Kawai's configuration in terms of feeling and mimicking a grand action).

Last edited by Alan LJ; 05/20/19 09:59 AM.

Kawai MP9500
Edirol UA-25
VST: NI Noire mainly, Pianoteq 6, Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2, NI The Grandeur
Yes, you need to say more.
Originally Posted by Alan LJ
Do I need to say more?
You need to say SOMETHING.
That picture names the digital piano model ... but says nothing about the grand.

I presume you're focused on key length. But you provide no measurement.

Conclusion: none possible.

A
A
And for the record, here's what Yamaha was offering in their high range clavinova DP almost 20 years before now:

[Linked Image]

Surprise, surprise... mad

Go with the Kawai, if not only for the undeniable superiority of its action but as a mean to support the fact that, while not being all-pure themselves (as a company you still have to make more money and sometimes cut costs at the expense of the customer), still manages to value craftsmanship more than marketing...

Last edited by Alan LJ; 05/20/19 10:14 AM.

Kawai MP9500
Edirol UA-25
Hello Jack,

will the MP12 coming soon ?

I don't believe so. The MP7SE/MP11SE are very competitive instruments, and will remain Kawai's current stage pianos for some time yet.

oh and one more thing, could you please tell me is there any chinese manual for MP11SE? cause that would be much easier to handle. thank you

Yes, Chinese language owner's manuals for the MP11SE and MP7SE can be downloaded from either the KawaiMP.com website or Kawai-Global.com website. For convenience, here is a direct link to the Chinese language MP11SE owner's manual PDF:

http://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/MP11SE_CH_R100.pdf

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,
James
x

Hello Alan,

Originally Posted by Alan LJ
The so-called wooden action called GH3/Natural Wood is not! It's just some plastic keys (and short at that!) with a thin sticker (yes a sticker!) of wood veneer slapped on each sides of the keys to make you believe the keys are entirely wooden.

While it's true that Yamaha's "Natural Wood" actions use keys produced using a combination of plastic and wood, I don't believe your description is accurate. Certainly these keys cannot be compared to Kawai's fully wooden keys, however the amount of wood material used in Yamaha's keyboard actions is more than simply "wood veneers".

There are threads discussing this topic elsewhere on PianoWorld, and it should be possible to find other photos of Yamaha's "Natural Wood" action keys from different angles via Google Images, which clearly show the plastic+wood key construction.

Kind regards,
James
x

D
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
after all videos

go yamaha ?
go kawai ?

Hi CJ,

These two instruments are designed for entirely different purposes. The MP11SE is a home/studio stage piano. It is much heavier and has the best action available in a slab piano. The MP11SE has a limited number of high quality sounds but it is not designed for playing with a band---for that you'd opt for the MP7SE which has much more sounds and more functionality for gigging.

On the other hand, the Yamaha CP88 is a Nord clone firmly aimed at gigging musicians who---due to the fact that they're playing always within a band---do not care about string resonance and piano action because they're not playing nuanced piano solos.

If you are playing in a band regularly gigging, then look at the Kawai MP7SE, the Nord Grand, the Korg Grandstage, the Roland RD2000 and the Yamaha CP88. If you're looking at something for the home, probably consider the RD2000 and the MP11 (the Grandstage action isn't competitive but it sounds good).

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
C
OP Offline
C
thank you Doug, for me , I like Roland , because I like brian culbertson, and he use roland so I like it . LOL

and I think I may go with kawai and buy the new RD if I could gen into that level of skill, so thank you very much and I now have to make mp11se vs GrandStage now. couse those two are both good.

C
OP Offline
C
thank you james . that chinese ver is very helpful.

yamaha always use that GH3, maybe its good enough for the stage show. midi play also. but the sound, I cannot tell, its fake and real

and mp11se sound just a little bit obscure. close to kurzweil but a little bit obscure.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
High range Yamaha keyboards are NW (Natural Wood) and no longer GH3. They feel very different.

(There are also NWX, Grand Touch)

Last edited by Frédéric L; 05/21/19 08:35 AM.

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I'd buy the Roland for the action. BTW have you tried the FP-90? It's much cheaper than the RD2000 but has the same action. The sound engine is very different though. You don't have nearly as many sounds. I think the Kawai is equally good, but I just happen to prefer the action of the Roland.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission