2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (akse0435, amc252, 20/20 Vision, benkeys, apianostudent, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, 15 invisible), 1,996 guests, and 311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Sumaes Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Been offered one of these on the (very very) cheap by an acquaintance who has it lying around in his family house in Skye. Can anyone give me any comments on the quality of the action, and whether it'd be fit for purpose to use with Pianoteq etc.

Moved out of my parents house recently and into a flat, and need a DP to transition onto from the Yamaha U3 I grew up playing. I'm saving up for probably an RD-2000/MP7SE, something in that range, but am trying to assess whether to accept my friend's offer in the meantime. Almost zero information available online about the PF-85 as it's so old, so anything people can tell me about it would be much appreciated.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
I have a PF-80 with the FM synthesis sounds instead of samples. (Mostly tucked away in the closet) They have the same "Action Effect" (AE) action as far as I know. So did the "legendary" KX-88 except that it also has/had aftertouch.

It's not hopeless unless you are actually picky on actions. It actually doesn't use hammers but lead weights and springs. It's quite "piano like".

I'd say compared to a Kawai ES-100 (AHA IV-F):
- It's a bit lighter.
- It's not very fast to return/repeat but maybe on par with the ES-100.
- Key pivot length is similar.
- There's absolutely no return bounce.
- Somebody might describe it as "mushy". It's not like playing sponges or a synth action, but it's not as "snappy" somehow.
- The keys have a faint clicking sound by design. Otherwise my PF-80 feels and sounds like a quality product although it looks like it has seen a lot of life, maybe even gigging.

The PF-80 is really really really heavy and I think the PF-85 shares the chassis design. It's possible to move it around by a single adult, but it's no fun.

The PF-80 supports three pedals. Two are just switches and e.g. something from Fatar will do. The sustain pedal jack does also support "half-pedalling" (4 levels including off) at least with the impossible-to-find Yamaha FC-8 pedal (which I found). I don't know if the modern FC-3 is compatible. And of course it could be different for the PF-85.

If it has a LINE IN, it might be MONO.

Of course if money is not a problem it's better to get something more modern.

S
Sumaes Offline OP
OP Offline
S
That's good to know! It sounds like definitely not an ideal long-term solution. On your PF-80, is the action graded or just equally weighted across the keyboard?

I think obviously it's not the perfect solution, but sounds like it can be a good stop-gap so that I can spend some months saving up for something up-to-date technology-wise. MIDI-out means that if I can get along with the action I can prevent the rust from setting in, fingers crossed.

Thanks for the info!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sumaes
but sounds like it can be a good stop-gap so that I can spend some months saving up for something up-to-date technology-wise.

You won't have to save that long. There are many budget-class keyboards with fully weighted hammer action keys, such as the Roland FP-10 and Casio PX-S1000. If you have become accustomed to playing piano on your parents' U3, that's the sort of upgrade you should make as soon as financially feasible, rather than saving for the ultimate keyboard later. If I were you and budget constrained, I might upgrade myself to a PX-S1000 when I can, and then save more for something like an ES8, and then just sell the PX-S1000 used and buy an ES8 when I can. Upgrade further in two smaller steps than one long step.

This is all assuming you already know you will be sticking with piano as I am assuming since your parents already have an U3 and you're thinking of a substitute now that you don't have access to that.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
Sumaes Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Unfortunately an acoustic piano won't be a practical option for the foreseeable, my flat is in a block of tenements and I've neighbours on all four sides. Would love to have a U3 back in my life but will have to content myself with a nice digital that is good enough to keep my technique in decent enough shape for when I eventually have the opportunity to play an acoustic everyday again.

Have enough saved away for a PX-S1000 but I tried it out in store and didn't like the feel of the keyboard. Have my eye on either an ES8/MP7, or an RD2000, but would rather borrow this PF85 for a few months and just give it back when it gets superceded than go through the hassle of buying and then selling a Casio at a loss. I get what you're saying about two small steps being better than one big one, but the £100+ that I would lose turning something over makes me think I'm better off holding out for a keyboard I can be content with for a good number of years.

C
4000 Post Club Member
Online Content
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Sumaes
It sounds like definitely not an ideal long-term solution. On your PF-80, is the action graded or just equally weighted across the keyboard?

Yeah, you might not like it in long term if you are accustomed to better actions. Or at least you might start wondering if having a better action would be advantageous to honing your skills. (Which it of course would.)

And it's not graded but all the keys have the same weight.

S
Sumaes Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Have the privilege of being accustomed to a really nice upright action, but sounds like the PF-85 is up to purpose for a few months of light practice, and keeping up repertoire. Thanks for weighing in, really nice to get some solid info from someone.

Ta!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I do remember it was a predecessor of the slabs of today; but is extremely heavy. I thought I played one back in 1991 is that possible- while getting my Sy55- if not then I played it later.

Either way- I think the money would be better spent on a more recent Casio which would have better action

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
O
O
I hope you took up the offer of the PF-85.

30 years ago, I was transitioning from a nice German upright at home, school Yamaha grands and friends CP70 to an electric piano. I needed something movable, that could fit in a student room, but with realistic action.

I bought a used PF-80. The keybeds on the Yamaha PF-80 and PF-85 are the same Action Effect (AE) action. It is graded from bass to treble, but not strongly. It responds realistically to changes in velocity. Some limits on repeatability of an individual note, but I think its not that different to the upright actions. I really enjoy playing various styles of music on the PF-80, but it took me years to realize how good it was.

I went to work for the Australian Broadcasting Corporation and was fortunate to play a number of the pianos in the ABC's "Piano Library", including Bosendorfer and Steinway Concert Grands. I found the lightness of touch of many Steinways was very similar to the touch needed for the PF-80. Yamaha Concert Grands, and many other grands, by comparison feel heavier.

The sounds on the PF series are far removed from modern samples, and are now dated. Modern samples from many manufacturers are stunningly good in comparison. The in-built speakers in the PF-80 have limited frequency range, so lose out in the bottom end.

For at least 15 years, I have been auditioning digital pianos to replace the PF-80. I have loved the sounds available, but been disappointed at the actions of most brands, except the big $$$ keybeds with grand piano actions, so I kept the faithful PF-80. I would come home after auditioning the other keybeds and be really happy I chose not to buy them.

I am finally finding actions at a lower price point with decent actions. A favorite is the Yamaha CP88 (Natural Wood Graded Hammer - NWGH) - but no in-built speakers. The Yamaha P515 (and some of the Clavinovas) uses a Natural Wood X (NWX) action that is close, but has a little too much resistance to the in touch.

You may find that after keeping the rust of your fingers, you may also get stuck on an ancient Yamaha with a great action. A great choice to get by with.

Yamaha PF-80, Korg Poly 800,

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission