2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
36 members (Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, crab89, aphexdisklavier, admodios, 4 invisible), 1,330 guests, and 281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 37 of 108 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 107 108
Originally Posted by Sarah65

You need Photoscore then you can scan your pages and edit them in Musescore and then upload in Marvel. If it is not too large, you can manually enter the notes in Musescore (there you will learn something) and then export as MIDI and musixml. And then upload it in PM. Time consuming, yes, but great help to learn.

Oh wow. I guess I won't be getting that. That's a little pricey at the moment.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42

b) Allow the user to take a piece from the library and then define their own exercises (including tempo).

I just found that today Josh uploaded a youtube video on how to do this

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by LarryK
[quote=WeakLeftHand]Hi Josh (or anyone else),
I use StaffPad to write up my pieces because it allows me to write the notes using a stylus. StaffPad requires a Microsoft Surface tablet, but those are pretty cheap these days, around $399, I think. StaffPad is only $70.

Thank you LarryK, looks like a great program. Is there an Android version? I have a little tablet, maybe I can use that?

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by millsj1134

This is a great question, I am so glad you asked it! I made a video that shows how to copy songs from Piano Marvel's public library so that you can edit their slicings/speeds. I really hope this helps you! 😊 https://youtu.be/hvPUnEFiNF0

That was a very helpful video, thanks! Had no idea you could change built in music like that. You guys seriously need a user manual smile I think Tyrone has become your unofficial documentation writer (have you seen his post on how to get new music with your own fingerings etc in with MuseScrore, it's gold.)

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
LarryK, now that you've piqued my interest in StaffPad, were you ever able to address with Piano Marvel why you were having trouble exporting MIDI and XML files into Piano Marvel directly from StaffPad?

I'm glad your workaround worked but it would be a whole lot easier if you could do it directly.

Kawai K500
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
Thank you Sarah65 and LarryK!

I think I will first try manually inputting into Musescore first, since it’s free, and my song choices are really simple and short at my current level.

HOWEVER, StaffPad seems amazing! My husband has a Surface Pro so that is “free”, sort of. I can see how I will enjoy using StaffPad, especially if my song choices get more difficult and longer.

It’s great that your husband has a StaffPad Pro! It’s close to free then. :-) I’ve written up 142 measures of Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring to practice playing it with a virtual classical guitar duet partner. I think that took an hour a day for about a week. It takes a little patience and time to get the hang of writing in StaffPad. First, you go through a set of training exercises so it can learn how you write music. My piano pieces are short and simple so it does not take me much time to write them up in StaffPad.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I would like to make a suggestion to the Piano Marvel team. Why not make a third trophy case with the title "recreation, just for fun, repertoire, entertainment" or something like that. Not all Marvel users have the ambition to become a concert pianist. And I often hear that after level 3 it becomes much too difficult and boring and impossible for the "amateurs" among us to learn further, myself included. In the third trophy case songs would come from all genres, from classical to hymns to folk to pop to PM songs etc. But with the same layout as in method and technique, only without the exercises such as flashcards, ear training and all those other boring things. Level 5 and 6 can be arranged pieces that sound impressive and are a bit more difficult but still accessible for someone with only the basic knowledge. The third trophy case seems to me very interesting to continue to play the piano in a pleasant way, because as it is now I am inclined to stop playing.

Last edited by Sarah65; 05/14/19 02:28 PM.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Hi Josh (or anyone else),

If I have sheet music from a book, and want to upload that into Piano Marvel for learning, how do I go about doing that? From the little research I’ve done, I think it requires manually creating a digital version first? Sounds like a time consuming process?

I use Musescore and copy a score by hand. I found the fastest way to do it it to put on the on screen keyboard and then fingers over the number keys which select note length, and then play the on screen keyboard with the mouse. Generally I can enter a score very fast. I've done it a couple of times now. The slowest bit is adding fingering and phrase marks.

[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by akc42

If I have sheet music from a book, and want to upload that into Piano Marvel for learning, how do I go about doing that? From the little research I’ve done, I think it requires manually creating a digital version first? Sounds like a time consuming process?

I use Musescore and copy a score by hand. I found the fastest way to do it it to put on the on screen keyboard and then fingers over the number keys which select note length, and then play the on screen keyboard with the mouse. Generally I can enter a score very fast. I've done it a couple of times now. The slowest bit is adding fingering and phrase marks.

Thanks, very helpful. That does sound easier. Much to learn as I start playing with it.

Kawai K500
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Got my final gold star in technique 4, woohoo! Thank god, no more triple threat half combos, can't say I particularly enjoyed getting those to 100%. Method currently working on finishing up 4C. Gone Away is kicking my butt at 99%.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Chrispy
Got my final gold star in technique 4, woohoo! Thank god, no more triple threat half combos, can't say I particularly enjoyed getting those to 100%. Method currently working on finishing up 4C. Gone Away is kicking my butt at 99%.

Congrats !!!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Hi
I am new to this software. I have a question after reading comments on this thread. Is achieving 100% a self imposed/nice to achieve or 90% is good enough? I take lessons too, so not sure I have enough time to use this software @ 100% achievement? I am hoping to use it to allow me to work on technical areas that come up in a practice piece, or an area that just plain challenges me like 3-2 polyrhythm, as an example. Thanks in advance.

It's entirely up to you. Well, not in my case. I have some compulsion to continue until I get 100%...

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianoperformance
Is achieving 100% a self imposed/nice to achieve or 90% is good enough?

Totally self imposed. I believe you need 80% in each exercise to "pass" each level.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Haha absolutely self-imposed, but I suspect many of us have a perfectionist/OCD/completionist streak and we just can’t let it go at anything under 100%. LOL.

I have some that at just under 100% and it bugs the heck out of me, but I highly suspect there’s a connection problem or something with my piano because it doesn’t seem to pick up that I played that note. It’s usually just one note and I’m sure I played it!

I’ve also been skipping some technique because, you know, boring. And some of them are more difficult than others.

Kawai K500
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Hi
I am new to this software. I have a question after reading comments on this thread. Is achieving 100% a self imposed/nice to achieve or 90% is good enough? I take lessons too, so not sure I have enough time to use this software @ 100% achievement? I am hoping to use it to allow me to work on technical areas that come up in a practice piece, or an area that just plain challenges me like 3-2 polyrhythm, as an example. Thanks in advance.

The first three levels of method and technique I worked on 100%, took me a lot of time. From level 4 I am experiencing that it is almost impossible for me, so I am satisfied with 95%. That gives me a golden piano in the trophies case and that's OK for my OCD laugh

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Aww, thanks for the candid responses. I am sure I have some ‘perefectionist’ Tendency somewhere too. I am gonna give the free trial a go and remind myself now to get hooked on ‘badges’.

M
M
Hi

I'm finding very often, that between 90% and 100% there is a lot of interesting things happening. I'm forced to find the most challenging places and concentrate on them, and that gives me a lot, also a satisfaction when I realise, that I can play it at a full speed, correctly and control the music note by note.
Anyway, I can't imagine to leave a lesson with a 99% score, but so far PM is my only "teacher", and probably that's why I decided to go 100% with it.

M
M

So, in my experience, transcribing a score from hand is very time consuming - it is always my last choice. My first choice is google searching "Rondo All Turca Musescore" to see if someone already made the musicxml that I can download and add some minor tweaks to and have it uploaded to PM in 5 minutes or so. If I can't find it on Musescore, then I use the $80 program called "Smart Score X2 Piano Edition" which scans scores and puts them into musicxml format. (https://www.musitek.com/smartscore-piano.html) I have used this program a lot and done this with some advanced and more obscure pieces. It can take some time getting used to editing the score in the program, but the 2 hours or so it takes me to use it is always worth it for being able to practice the piece in PM afterwards. (an easier not-so-advanced piece would probably be a super quick process...)

I recently stumbled onto a website this week called "Tunescribers" (https://www.tunescribers.com/) who makes musicxml's. I had one made for myself and it was really good! This is the way I would probably go if I couldn't find the sheet music for a song (like this one that I REALLY want to play one day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5650Ht8U0). I was quoted about $100 to get that song done by the software which I think would be worth it.... Tunescribers are awesome and I think worth the money.

To summarize, Smartscore is a great investment if you think that you will be scanning scores and putting them into PM quite frequently. For me, I only learn a song with PM, so having this software is a must.

If you may only learn a few songs in PM or don't want to learn how to import (or are super rich! lol) than Tunescribers is a great option for you. Tunescribers is also a great option for people that want a song transcribed but can't find sheet music for it anywhere. It took me 2 minutes or so to get my song that tunescribers did ready for PM. I love them and am so glad I got introduced to the company! smile

I find that there is no need to transcribe by reading a score and inputting it all by hand - for me, technology is good enough to get at least 50-60% of the work done (sometime's more) on the more advanced songs. Yes, my skills with Finale and Smartscore make this a better option for me, which I am fully aware of. If I can make a recommendation, I would say to start getting familiar with a notation software; having one will allow you to edit scores for PM. When I first started working for the company I thought editing would be a big and time-consuming process, but it's really not. Having a notation software will allow you to gain familiarity with how these types of softwares work and will make getting used to Smartscore alot easier since they are "somewhat" related.

I really hope this helps! If you all would like me to make a live-stream that discusses the topic of inputting music with Smartscore I would be happy to do it! Please let me know - I am happy to help show how to use PM to its full potential! smile

Best regards,
Josh Mills
josh@pianomarvel.com

M
M
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by millsj1134
Musescore 2 has really been having no issues that I have found when using it to export songs into PM. You just have to make sure that the tempo/metronome marking is not in the score or else the staves will be out of sync. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Yes, I use Musescore 2.3.2 right now Josh. I was wondering about Musescore 3.0.5 though. It sounds like PM still can't import scores from 3.0.5. Is that right?

I know Musescore 3 had issues a few months ago, however I just uploaded a piece onto PM with musescore 3.0.2 with no issues. 😀😀😀

I’ll update musescore and see if I’m still ok at 3.0.5

Page 37 of 108 1 2 35 36 37 38 39 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,179
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission