2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
53 members (ChristofS, clothearednincompo, anotherscott, brennbaer, Curt-S, dire tonic, antune, barbaram, 12 invisible), 1,363 guests, and 473 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 96 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 95 96
Originally Posted by Music&Lyrics
Originally Posted by TomInCinci
I'm new here, just want to say hello to all PM users. I was looking (just a curiosity) on the Internet for someone, who completed 100% of PM and I have found this forum as well.
So, hello everyone smile

My Skype teacher said his father completed everything with 100%. I think he said his father was 70.

I have 8 years until I'm 70 but some mornings it seems overly ambitious...

That's all right. Does your skype teacher like Piano Marvel? Can you recommend a lessons provided through the skype? Are they effective?

He was a big fan.

Honestly, I was a complete skeptic about using Skype. Once I tried it I saw that most of what I imagined to be a problem was not. They were effective for me. I would do it again without hesitation.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
M
I'm new here, just want to say hello to all PM users. I was looking (just a curiosity) on the Internet for someone, who completed 100% of PM and I have found this forum as well.
So, hello everyone smile

My Skype teacher said his father completed everything with 100%. I think he said his father was 70.

I have 8 years until I'm 70 but some mornings it seems overly ambitious...

That's all right. Does your skype teacher like Piano Marvel? Can you recommend a lessons provided through the skype? Are they effective?

He was a big fan.

Honestly, I was a complete skeptic about using Skype. Once I tried it I saw that most of what I imagined to be a problem was not. They were effective for me. I would do it again without hesitation.

Thank you for sharing your experience. Online skype lessons make looking for a good teacher much easier, as the distance factor is not a problem. I can imagine, at some point in the future PM won't be enough for me in the learning process.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Thank you for sharing your experience. Online skype lessons make looking for a good teacher much easier, as the distance factor is not a problem. I can imagine, at some point in the future PM won't be enough for me in the learning process.

I'm doing online lessons but using Zoom.us instead of Skype. Zoom works very well because unlike other video messengers such as Skype, you can turn off audio compression, which is much better for music lessons.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
I use Zoom a bit in business but have only seen one way presentations. I've never experienced it with the video going both ways. Is it free? It's always been free for me but I've never been the originator.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I use Zoom a bit in business but have only seen one way presentations. I've never experienced it with the video going both ways. Is it free? It's always been free for me but I've never been the originator.

It is free if you don't want to turn off the audio compression.

However to use the feature where you turn off audio compression as I mentioned, one side has to be a paid subscriber (lowest level, "Pro," is $15/mo), and the other side has to be added to the paid subscriber's account as a subsidiary account, which doesn't add to the cost. Not hard. I've done that and do piano lessons that way. In my case, I have the paid account, and my teacher has the free account, but added as a subsidiary to my paid account.

The audio quality in Zoom is near perfect without glitching (or almost no glitching - every 2-3 lessons, I do see a glitch) when there is no compression. Consider that for Skype, and other voice chat messengers, the frequencies for voice communications being optimized for is 300 Hz (D#4) to 3.4 kHz (G#7). Higher and lower frequencies get almost entirely compressed away. Not good for piano lessons.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by Sielbear
I’ve been using piano marvel on the iPad and the beta app is MUCH improved. I really like the form of the iPad as it is much more like sheet music than a laptop or pc monitor.

Secondly, how much time did it take you to complete the 4-2 technique exercise - 2 octaves with both hands simultaneously?!? I can do individual hands without issue. As soon as I try both together, my head explodes. Is it just me? Any tips besides building up muscle memory? Am I approaching it wrong? It’s balancing the different fingering patterns across both hands. 1 octave was pretty doable. The second octave with the 3/4/3/5 crossover pattern is making me crazy.

Welcome to the club of exploding heads. laugh I have the same problem, I can still manage the chords, but those arpeggios and scales are terrible. I can't give much advice because I don't succeed either, what I'm trying to do is just put speed on 30 and very often play left and right apart, and then surprise myself by using both hands together. Accending is already successful, decending is not. frown

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
B
B
I am about 5 weeks into Piano Marvel, and liking it very much. currently working through 5D. found Canon in C most challenging so far but have mastered it now. (76 attempts). Planning on seeing a teacher maybe once a month, but little difficult as I work odd hours, which is why I chose to use an online program.

As I am basically self taught, I find it gives direction to my practise. I supplement it with some fun YouTube videos to mix it up a little.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bretts
I am about 5 weeks into Piano Marvel, and liking it very much. currently working through 5D. found Canon in C most challenging so far but have mastered it now. (76 attempts). Planning on seeing a teacher maybe once a month, but little difficult as I work odd hours, which is why I chose to use an online program.

As I am basically self taught, I find it gives direction to my practise. I supplement it with some fun YouTube videos to mix it up a little.

After 5 weeks, you are already at Level 5? Well congrats!

[Linked Image]

No kidding, that is awesome. I can't even bring myself to imagine level 5 right now.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I've been playing with PM it since April (though I've been playing piano for 3 years as of June 1!) As I'm a crazed gamer completionist I had to start at 1A on both method and technique. It's actually been fantastic for my sight reading. It's been interesting, I was plowing through at one full section of both technique a method a day, to now where it's taking me good 3-4 days to get through a full section of either so my progress will slow down. Of course nothing but gold star piano will do smile Here's my current progress... I just started saints last night, and DAE half combo is vexing me, I keep screwing up one small thing, but it's different each time!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Chrispy; 05/10/19 07:56 PM.

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Chrispy
I've been playing with PM it since April (though I've been playing piano for 3 years as of June 1!) As I'm a crazed gamer completionist I had to start at 1A on both method and technique. It's actually been fantastic for my sight reading. It's been interesting, I was plowing through at one full section of both technique a method a day, to now where it's taking me good 3-4 days to get through a full section of either so my progress will slow down. Of course nothing but gold star piano will do smile Here's my current progress... I just started saints last night, and DAE half combo is vexing me, I keep screwing up one small thing, but it's different each time!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I looked at your May minutes = 769. Wow!

Then I looked at mine = 48. (Embarrassed)

And I laughed. Looks like I better get on it LOL!

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
B
B
Just to clarify, I am not a complete beginner. Maybe was at lvl 4 ability perhaps? I did all levels though to to get all the gold stars. smile It is lvl 4 when I really had to knuckle down on every piece. I am practising though a couple hours a day currently. Little addictive isn't it...

Would post a picture, but haven't quite figured how to add it to the message.

B
B
Hmm might be going over the top. 1342 minutes for May. Can I over practice?

So I made an interesting lifestyle choice at the start of April. I felt I was watching was too much tv, and basically wasn't really productive at all. Jokingly I said "hah. better for brain if I quit and played music..." Then I thought, "hmm, that maybe not so crazy at all. Just for the year. Couldn't hurt could it?..." I did make one concession. Still watch some football on the weekends.

So a good study on what happens if you quit TV for a year and concentrate on music. Curious as to where I will find myself at the end of December.

L
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
L

So I made an interesting lifestyle choice at the start of April. I felt I was watching was too much tv, and basically wasn't really productive at all. Jokingly I said "hah. better for brain if I quit and played music..." Then I thought, "hmm, that maybe not so crazy at all. Just for the year. Couldn't hurt could it?..." I did make one concession. Still watch some football on the weekends.

So a good study on what happens if you quit TV for a year and concentrate on music. Curious as to where I will find myself at the end of December.

The writer, David Foster Wallace, DFW, may he rest in peace, once sat down and wrote up a list of the books he wanted to read. He got to twelve pages before stopping. After that, he got rid of his television. He didn’t keep one in his house, he realized that there was no time for to watch if he wanted to make progress on reading those books.

Hemingway once said, time is what we have the least of.

DFW actually tried reading with the television on and realized that that was a complete scam. One of my classical guitar teachers, growing up in Mexico, used to try to practice scales while watching soccer games, and eventually discovered that that made him a worse player because he wasn’t fully concentrating on what he was doing.

The study of a musical instrument will take as much time as you can give it, it is basically an infinite time sink. That is a wonderful aspect of study, as well as a daunting and depressing aspect.

After listening to the incredible artistry of Angela Hewitt in concert last night, I wonder why I bother to play music at all, but DFW helps me avoid this trap because he wrote compellingly of how the overconsumption of media prevents one from doing anything at all. At least when we make music, we are creating something, and are not just passively consuming something.

So, my TV stays mute and dark, and I play on.

Last edited by LarryK; 05/12/19 06:22 AM.
M
M
re TV: Yup.

I grew up without a TV in the house - conscious choice by my father. Definitely adds hours to the day.

Also I second the idea that doing, rather than watching, shifts the emphasis from what the other person can do to what I can do. For a hobby, that's exactly what I'm after.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

That is 22 hours in 11 days - not counting the day you wrote your update. I think that yes, it is possible to over practise, but no, 2 hours a day is not over practising. cool

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I've been away for a few days which is why I haven't replied to this thread sooner

I restarted piano at age 66 after studying to grade 3 as a child in September 2017. I started the free month trial of Piano Marvel at the end of November 2017 and purchased a years subscription at the end of December.

By the end of April 2018 I had achieved 100% in Technique up to and including Lesson 6A Exercise 5 and in Method up to 6A Exercise 7. By about then I was finding my ability to learn a piece from physical sheet music was way better than with Piano Marvel and I sort of gave up on it. I didn't immediately renew at the end of December 2018.

However I did renew again in April 2019, mainly for the sight reading tests. About 10 days ago I also started to learn Mozart's Rondo Alla Turca on Piano Marvel, but discussed it with my teacher as being the next piece to learn and promptly purchased the Henle paper version. I am still finding it way better to learn from the sheet music and I don't now think I will continue with the Piano Marvel to learn it. (It doesn't help that the Henle edition has grace notes where piano marvel doesn't)

I would say that I massively improved my scales arpeggios and chord inversions using PM, and it getting 100% on the method sections learn't some interesting pieces but I don't really do technical exercises away form PM as I have no intention on taking any exams and its easier to learn what I need when I tackle a new piece. Since I was not a beginner when I started, I never found the lower level exercises (Levels 1 to 3) particularly difficult. Some parts of Levels 4 and 5 took a while to master and doing so felt like a massive achievement. However my teacher has since shown me other tricks to learning very difficult passages (slow play, breaking down into very small sections, stopping on the note you get wrong and not playing the note after until you get it right every time ...) that I don't find PM that useful anymore

[Linked Image]
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by akc42

I would say that I massively improved my scales arpeggios and chord inversions using PM, and it getting 100% on the method sections learn't some interesting pieces but I don't really do technical exercises away form PM as I have no intention on taking any exams and its easier to learn what I need when I tackle a new piece. Since I was not a beginner when I started, I never found the lower level exercises (Levels 1 to 3) particularly difficult. Some parts of Levels 4 and 5 took a while to master and doing so felt like a massive achievement. However my teacher has since shown me other tricks to learning very difficult passages (slow play, breaking down into very small sections, stopping on the note you get wrong and not playing the note after until you get it right every time ...) that I don't find PM that useful anymore

I think everyone sooner or later comes to a point that they don't need Pm anymore. But for anyone starting from 0 I still find it the best program to get there. And the library is also very extensive for advanced users. Personally, I find sheet music reading still very difficult because I don't have a grip, I don't know how it should sound or how the tempo/rhythm should be. The key signatures are not all clear yet, I'll continue with PM, but try to use sheet music every day, to train sight reading as well.

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sarah65
Originally Posted by akc42

I think everyone sooner or later comes to a point that they don't need Pm anymore. But for anyone starting from 0 I still find it the best program to get there. And the library is also very extensive for advanced users. Personally, I find sheet music reading still very difficult because I don't have a grip, I don't know how it should sound or how the tempo/rhythm should be. The key signatures are not all clear yet, I'll continue with PM, but try to use sheet music every day, to train sight reading as well.

I agree with you that with regular sheet music, you don’t know how the song should sound and how fast the tempo should be, and these make learning sheet music more difficult and less fun. The thought of, “Did I play that right?” always pops up.

However, I’ve found that certain sheet music and certain method books now have supplemental audio that you can access online and they are quite helpful. You can hear what the piano solo sounds like, and you can play along left hand only or right hand only or both hands, and at whatever tempo you set, with performance tempo set as the default. The method I’m using is the Faber Adult All in One. I also know that Hal Leonard has a series of books with similar play along features.

I still do PM and still like it but I’m finding the songs in the Faber method book often more satisfying because there are dynamics that I have to pay attention to. I feel more like a pianist than just playing a video game. The method book is also more well-rounded with bits of other info thrown at me once in a while, like theory. I switch back and forth between the two methods now. When one frustrates me, I go to the other for relief, and vice versa.

Don’t get me wrong. I still like PM and what it offers. I just like it less than at the very beginning of my journey (which was maybe two months ago IIRC).

Last edited by WeakLeftHand; 05/13/19 11:04 AM.

Kawai K-500
Casio PX-735 (in retirement)
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand
[quote=Sarah65][quote=akc42]
I agree with you that with regular sheet music, you don’t know how the song should sound and how fast the tempo should be, and these make learning
I still do PM and still like it but I’m finding the songs in the Faber method book often more satisfying because there are dynamics that I have to pay attention to. I feel more like a pianist than just playing a video game. The method book is also more well-rounded with bits of other info thrown at me once in a while, like theory. I switch back and forth between the two methods now. When one frustrates me, I go to the other for relief, and vice versa.
Don’t get me wrong. I still like PM and what it offers. I just like it less than at the very beginning of my journey (which was maybe two months ago IIRC).

When a child gets new toys, it is also very excited in the beginning. After a while it is already a lot less, and after half a year that toy is in a corner of the room. The same for adults who start a new challenge. All those books and programs to learn how to play piano are fun in the beginning, but in the end it's about what you want to learn and play, it must remain fascinating and give satisfaction or we will not keep it up.

Page 35 of 96 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 95 96

Moderated by  BB Player 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recital #63 - Call for Submissions
by Sam S - 08/01/21 05:58 AM
Under-piano pedal wood replacement
by Js367 - 08/01/21 01:25 AM
Everett upright Regulation
by wenhen90 - 07/31/21 06:57 PM
Marx
by dolce sfogato - 07/31/21 04:05 PM
Self-teaching and looking for good exercises
by TORaptors2019 - 07/31/21 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics208,312
Posts3,118,026
Members102,295
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission