2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (anotherscott, Calavera, Alex McG, A. Lucato, Anonymous12345, Beansparrow, 19 invisible), 861 guests, and 533 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2847127 05/10/19 03:34 PM
P
PawelS Offline OP
OP Offline
P
Hi
I've just got my first grand piano delivered yesterday and noticed a couple of things and since I've been playing only digital piano so far I need help to determine what is normal and what isn't.
The piano is 6'2" Kawai GX-3 with dual duplex scaling.

1. I think the damper on the highest note isn't working properly. (see the video)
2. There is ringing for a few seconds after all keys I don't know if it is normal (sympathetic resonance from undamped higher notes and duplex) or I should ask the technician to regulate dampers? (see the video)
3. When the soft pedal is fully pressed the hammers are striking all 3 strings I noticed there is a screw in right keyblock limiting how far keyframe can slide. Since I need to wait 2 weeks for the technician can I fix that myself by turning this screw to fix the soft pedal or should I wait for the technician?

I don't know if this information is helpful but I keep entire house humidity at 40%, the piano is far from windows with no direct sunlight and while it sounds to be tuned (no beating on most of the notes) it sounds flat on all of the notes I didn't ask in the store if it is tuned to concert 440Hz or is an effect of moving and new environment.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
It looks like the felt on the highest damper might be cut so it will not damp one string. This is common practice for some manufacturers. They do it to lessen the effect of the transition to the undamped strings.

On the other hand, the fact that another note is causing the same aftertone leads me to believe that some note down in the bass is not damping a harmonic. Take a plectrum and strum the strings of the lower notes and see if you get the same aftertone. That would indicate that a damper is leaking elsewhere.

Semipro Tech
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
Kawai usually trims the felt of the last damper to make the transition from damped to undamped notes more gradual.

Shigeru Kawai SK-7
Mason and Hamlin BB
J
J
Regarding item #3, it is common for the soft pedal to shift the action just enough to contact a softer part of the hammer while still striking all 3 strings. The tone quality becomes softer and many professional pianists prefer it this way. But if you want them to strike just 2 strings then yes the screw is what you’d use to adjust that. Be careful not to move it so far that it strikes the adjacent note.

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
For checking tuning:

Get any free "guitar tuner" app for Android or Apple smartphone.

Play an "A", see what it says.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
G
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
G
The top damper wire is rubbing on the side of the guide rail hole bushing felt. It should be centered and not travel left right fore aft when lifting.
This can add some friction and contribute to uneven damper lift/seating.

RPT
PTG Member
BDB #2847217 05/10/19 09:57 PM
B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by BDB
It looks like the felt on the highest damper might be cut so it will not damp one string. This is common practice for some manufacturers. They do it to lessen the effect of the transition to the undamped strings.

On the other hand, the fact that another note is causing the same aftertone leads me to believe that some note down in the bass is not damping a harmonic. Take a plectrum and strum the strings of the lower notes and see if you get the same aftertone. That would indicate that a damper is leaking elsewhere.

+1

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by PawelS
Hi
I've just got my first grand piano delivered yesterday and noticed a couple of things and since I've been playing only digital piano so far I need help to determine what is normal and what isn't.
The piano is 6'2" Kawai GX-3 with dual duplex scaling.
. . .
2. There is ringing for a few seconds after all keys I don't know if it is normal (sympathetic resonance from undamped higher notes and duplex) or I should ask the technician to regulate dampers? (see the video)

If you've been playing low-to-mid-price digital pianos, I've noticed something:

. . . They have _way less_ sympathetic resonance (especially "string resonance") than most acoustic pianos.

They sound "dead", compared to most acoustics.

Even on high-end digitals, to reach "acoustic piano" levels of resonance, you have to raise the "string resonance" setting well above its default value -- say, to 8 or 9, out of 10.

I suspect your Kawai -- with "dual duplex scaling" which adds undamped sympathetic strings into the sonic mix -- sounds just about how it's supposed to sound.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
rXd Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
All of the above although I would not re adjust the shift(left) pedal but simply not press it as far. Finer pianists use this pedal in increments. Untrained unthinking pianists stomp on it harder to try to get the piano softer !!!

Check the rear duplex. You will find a strip of cloth, usually red, that silences the lower rear duplexes finishing just beyond the bass strings and doubled or tripled back on itself to secure it. Check the 3-4 duplexes beyond that strip. They sometimes ring. If they do, unthread the strip and let it silence the next few strings then fold it back to secure it.
Avoid touching the strings w the bare hands.

Amanda Reckonwith
Concert & Recording tuner-tech, London, England.
"in theory, practice and theory are the same thing. In practice, they're not." - Lawrence P. 'Yogi' Berra.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha's GHS reliability
by witor - 06/13/21 02:08 PM
What is this rare brand: С. Rose & Co
by Lancasterspb - 06/13/21 01:21 PM
NP32 in 2021!
by Sid Ong - 06/13/21 01:15 PM
Digital piano with best action
by WPianoY - 06/13/21 12:55 PM
The Classic Piano Course by Carol Barratt
by TessB - 06/13/21 11:57 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,491
Posts3,103,277
Members101,801
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission