2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
42 members (bwv543, Andre Fadel, Animisha, alexcomoda, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,172 guests, and 282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 496 of 540 1 2 494 495 496 497 498 539 540
H
H
My teacher started me on serious ear training exercises using some Invention exercises from Bach. Never focused enough on ear training . Starting to get it as I can tell when improvising.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Mrs. JimF 90 days ago: "OMG what IS that you are trying to play... its not music is it?"

Me: "Its supposed to be Chopin sweetie"

Mrs. JimF yesterday: "OMG what IS that you are playing, its Gorgeous!"

Me: "Its Chopin sweetie"

Yep, somewhere between January and yesterday, Chopin's C# min Nocturne evolved from an ugly duckling to a swan. Well at least in Mrs. JimF's opinion.
Then I went to my lesson where, without ever mentioning the Chopin or asking me to play it, my teacher lays out Liszt's E major Consolation #2, plays it, and says I think you'll love these harmonies.
Of course she is right, I do. And with that, it seems the Chopin passes to repertoire and I'm back at ugly non-music again. grin (sorry sweetie)

What I'm particularly proud of here is that it "only" took me 3-4 months for the Chopin and much of the work I did on my own... I mean things like finding ways to practice effectively, experimenting with different approaches to the music, working on precise pedaling.... bag-o-tricks type stuff. Feeling like all the years are paying off as some things that might have thrown me in past now seem fairly routine.

Feeling very good to have a real life AOTW!

Here's Horowitz playing the Liszt #2

Best to you all,

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
Standchen-Schubert/Liszt arr
Sonata Pathetique-Adagio LVB
Estonia L190 #7284[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Congrats, JimF, on completing the piece. I know exactly what you mean. Just as I finished my Tchaikovsky, my teacher lays Clare de Lume out for me. It’s gonna take a while!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
F
F
One of my goals is to practice 20hours a week. Having fallen woefully short in 2017 and 2018 I decided for 2019 to create a daily practice diary to jot down my practice times.

Thru April 30th if I hit my goal I would be at 320hours for 2019. When I added up my hours I had practiced 317.2 hours, barely 3 hours shy of my goal!

Another goal I had in 2017 was to regain the skill level I had when I quit in 1979. I predicted it would take 18months to recover. Well, it's been 23months and I'm calling it. The restart is over, I don't need to relearn any more, I've recovered enough...my new beginning is here, now. I'm ready to start playing again.

Just do it. -- Nike
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Congratulations Fidel! How exciting to start playing again. What will be your first piece now that you are no longer relearning?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
K
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
K
Wow Fidel. I think it must have been 1979 when I stopped as well.

I still have some time to go based on your experience.

B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
My AOTW is that I find myself saying something I have seen other people say but have NEVER been in a position to say myself!

"The ABF quarterley recital is about to open, I wonder which of these ready to record pieces i will decide to put in?"

I even have recordings of two already that would do, though I have specific areas to work on and improve so I am hoping to do better by submission time.

As I've mentioned before, I have been working on easier material with my teacher and the natural consequence is more material being learned more quickly compared to when nearly everything was at the bleeding edge of my ability!

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations barbaram! That must be a great feeling. I've sworn not to present anything that I haven't been playing as finished repertoire for at least a year. CDL won't fit that category for another 7 months IF I can keep it up... recently fallen into a bit of disrepair as life intruded on practice time. Having good recordings in reserve is like a dream to me. Congrats.

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
B
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by JimF
I've sworn not to present anything that I haven't been playing as finished repertoire for at least a year..

Next level goals!

[Linked Image]
F
F
Since folks were kind enough to ask, the pieces I'll learn to play are:
1. WTC 1 preludes & fugues in C major, c minor, D Major, d minor and e-flat minor.
2. Brahms opus 79.

Then to study but not perform the Bach Tocatta in e minor, Beethoven opus 2, opus 10 and opus 90.

Just do it. -- Nike
M
M
Learning Bach Prelude #15 (G major) slooowwwllly, and being pleasantly surprised at the progress. Trying the same thing with at least the first two pages of a Chopin Etude (Op25, No 7 - massive stretch piece for me, but we're calling it "an excercise" so I don't get scared), and finding progress there too.

In other news, we think we've turned a positive corner with my daughter's health issues. It's spring.

Mason & Hamlin A ('97)
B
B
Bach's Partita #4 in D major now down at a reasonable tempo and with decent control. Of course, you're never really "done" with a work like this, but it's good enough to where I'll try to record a "keeper". Three Partitas down, three to go. grin

P
P
Hi,

My AOTW is that I have not missed a day of practice since my lesson via Skype last Friday. Which for me is progress after going weeks without really practicing. MOYD is starting to help me get to the piano more consistently and daily. Thankfully, after posting in that thread pretty frequently, I will not have to post about missing days this week.

[Linked Image]
B
B
i hurt my back last weekend and have been unable to play for most of the week. I sat down carefully yesterday, playing with
total relaxation, had to be, just focused on the music; dynamics, phrasing, timing etc without my usual body movements that just comes from me while playing.

While playing one of my standard repertoire pieces, I hit the last two final choruses, Suddenly, Goosebumps!
Yay! I continued with focus to finish to match the rest. Priceless.

I'm sure most of you have had goosebumps from listening to music, maybe even while playing, sometimes it can be what its all about!
A first for a long time on the piano, maybe an achievement of the month!

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Bobby Badd
Suddenly, Goosebumps!

Very exciting!! Once in a great while I have had that feeling, and it is wonderful!

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
P
P
I just recently started (as in 2 weeks ago) and I'm already really grateful I know how to read treble clef from playing other instruments. Didn't know bass clef, though. Which is why this is my achievement of the week: playing with two hands tripped me up big time last week, because my brain took it's sweet time to actively recognize both notes. This week while practicing my homework I noticed that it already works a little bit better.
Not much, but an achievement for me nonetheless.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JimF
Mrs. JimF 90 days ago: "OMG what IS that you are trying to play... its not music is it?"

Me: "Its supposed to be Chopin sweetie"

Mrs. JimF yesterday: "OMG what IS that you are playing, its Gorgeous!"

Me: "Its Chopin sweetie"

I love this!

Learner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
So lovely JimF. I'm having a go at no3.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Parcival,

Welcome to AOTW and congratulations!

I noticed that it already works a little bit better. Not much, but an achievement for me nonetheless

See, that's the thing. Piano learning is a never-ending stream of "not much" little-bit-betters. Waiting for impressive leaps forward is bound to disappoint because that's just not the way our progress usually happens.. But those little "not much" things are real accomplishments and do start to add up over time. The result is real progress.

So celebrate every little baby step!

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Palmpirate
So lovely JimF. I'm having a go at no3.

No. 3 is gorgeous. I recall struggling with it, but not much else since I've let it lapse. Sure wish Liszt's hands hadn't been the size of dinner plates. cry

Malkin - Mrs JimF yesterday called out "why are you torturing the dog" when I kept repeating a howl-inducing Liszt phrase in slow motion. I just told her he was trying to sing the melody for me. laugh

Jim

Liebestraum 3, Liszt
[Linked Image]
Page 496 of 540 1 2 494 495 496 497 498 539 540

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,173
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission