2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
55 members (AlphaTerminus, 36251, Anonymous12345, anotherscott, AlphaBravoCharlie, Beansparrow, alexii, 14 invisible), 1,018 guests, and 531 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 157 of 276 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 275 276
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the bulk information. I might buy a Novus when I retire. I didn't realize just how heavy it is.

This is a situation that begs for dealer setup, even for the young, and most certainly for someone like me.

I would surely include the setup in my purchase offer.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I have a similar situation regarding the hallway and then a sharp right turn into a bedroom. The hallway is 36" wide. While the piano top is only 25.5" by 14" by 58". The movers will slide the top part in on it's back or on the side if need be. The bottom and legs are not a problem. They can then assemble it in your living room. They need two, or better, three guys as the top weighs around 230lbs. It is very easy to assemble if they know how. But heavy, so it can get exciting.... cursing

Last edited by TomLC; 04/29/19 06:07 PM.

Kawai NV10
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
Thanks for the bulk information. I might buy a Novus when I retire. I didn't realize just how heavy it is.

This is a situation that begs for dealer setup, even for the young, and most certainly for someone like me.

I would surely include the setup in my purchase offer.

Also to consider, if it drops.... Not your responsibility. The movers and the dealer will have to work that out.

Kawai NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by navindra
Thanks Gombessa, yeah that sounds scary. I would shift it from one side of the room to the other, on carpet, at the most.

At the beginning, I'd just shift it slightly to re-position it optimally against the wall, and for occasional, exceptional, type situations I can see having to move it across the room (water leak type scenario).

Casters and strong legs would have been nice.

Has anyone tried retrofitting casters on the NV10? Would this even be possible?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Has anyone tried retrofitting casters on the NV10? Would this even be possible?

The front legs aren't meant to support that kind of translational weight. But as to whether it's possible, I don't show why not? You could even roll a custom dolly for it, as I think JoBert diagrammed last year...

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Y
Y
Hi all,

In advance, sorry for this question and for my poor english (i'm french)...

I'm in a particular situation because i can't really test those pianos. I live in deep campaign, so far of Paris that it's hard for me to test and compare in the same shop.

It seems that like many people, i try to make my opinion before to buy a Kawai nv 10 or a Yamaha N1X !

Like many people too, I've a very long and good experience with Yamaha durability and general quality of their instruments but Kawai's novus has come to disturbed my natural movement to yamaha choice...

I've seen that nv10 had few technological issues (notes sound balance ? vibrations ? poor quality of tactil screen ?) but a very good keyboard, a beautiful sound...

Unfortunlately, my english level is very average (despite google traduction) and it's really hard for me to make the synthesis of 157 pages of this topic !

So, my question is simple : Could you explain me (in few words and simple english !) what are good an bad returns of one year experience for this Novus 10 ?

A big thanks for your answers ,)

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Hi Ysan,

I hope this can be of help to you:

In the last year (since February 2018) there have been 45 owners of a Novus NV10 who have posted here in this thread.

(2 owners have sold their Yamaha N1 to buy the Novus NV10 instead.)

The large majority of these owners is very happy with their instrument.

Some of them have experienced a sound problem (some call it a buzzing or hissing). Kawai has worked to repair this problem with a firmware update. It is not clear if all problems have been solved. But only 1 or 2 people have returned their piano because of this problem, so it seems that most owners are still happy.

1 or 2 people had problems with hammers coming loose (wobbling or breaking off). Kawai has helped them quickly and without problems.

Some people do not like the touch screen software and think that it should be improved. This software is the same as in two other pianos by Kawai (CA98 and CA78) where people have the same problems.
There are two different types of problems with the software:
1: Sometimes people find things that are broken and do not work. Kawai has always been very helpful with such problems and has released several firmware updates to fix these problems. The software is working fine now.
2: Some people think that the software should work differently. For example that it should be more user friendly. This does not mean that something is broken, but that they think that it should be changed to work better. So far, Kawai has not made any such changes. I do not know if they plan to do so in the future. I guess that they will not.
Let me repeat: If there was something broken in the software, then Kawai has always been helpful and fixed that problem.

I am very happy with my NV10 and would buy it again.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ysan
or a Yamaha N1X !

For information on the N1X, Ysan, you can visit and discuss/post on this N1X thread or this one. Because the N1X was only announced in January and is not fully in circulation yet (for example, I'm still waiting to test one), there aren't many owners yet on this forum, but those few owners there are on here have all been pretty happy, with few problems reported.

I only recall there was one mechanical problem with the fallboard for one owner, a missing peg which might have been missed in assembly for another, and someone also may have a built-in headphone amp that is not very loud (unclear if this is a defect). There has been at least one complaint about being forced to buy a separate adapter to use wireless, but this is a design issue and not a defect.

It's still too early, and there are too few owners on this PW forum, to say if this indicates the N1X is more reliable than the NV10, however it is true the N1X is an evolution of the N1 which has been out for close to 10 years, while the NV10 represented a brand new product for Kawai.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert
Some of them have experienced a sound problem (some call it a buzzing or hissing). Kawai has worked to repair this problem with a firmware update. It is not clear if all problems have been solved. But only 1 or 2 people have returned their piano because of this problem, so it seems that most owners are still happy.

Although this is only a single datapoint, for one owner with a sound defect, the problem seemed to be torsional.

[Linked Image]

H
H
Thanks everyone for the very helpful answers smile

Alas I did miss the existing NV10 packaging dimensions thread, my bad! Having seen it, though, I'm a lot less worried: much like TomLC is saying it'll be about someone manoeuvring the bigger box around the sharp corner. Not a trivial task given it's 100 kg, but I would assume the dealer will be able to provide someone with enough expertise on these things. I mean it's not a 400 kg grand, after all.

Thanks again!

J
J
Hi Ysan,

As you, I leave in a country far from Paris and I know how it's difficult to have a chance to test either the NV10 or the N1X (and more chance to have both of them in the same shop to compare).
That's why I went in Paris last october and finaly I bought the NV10 (N1X was not avalaible at this time).
The action is wonderful. It's overall a very good instrument BUT, mine has an issue that Kawai is not able to solve. After many episodes with Kawai, my dealer accept to take back my NV10.
So I plan to go back to Paris early may (next week) to check the N1X.
I will tell you my feeling comparing the to instrument.

A
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
A
Just curious: I haven't heard anyone comment on the damper weight simulation on the Novus. Can people give me your thoughts on how much you like it and whether you feel it enhances your experience on the Novus?

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by ando
Just curious: I haven't heard anyone comment on the damper weight simulation on the Novus. Can people give me your thoughts on how much you like it and whether you feel it enhances your experience on the Novus?

Quick thoughts: it had a big realism/immersion impact, more than you'd initially think. Notably:

1. It introduces another "notch" near the top of the keypress, which feel more realistic than the completely smooth single-pivot of a typical DP hammer action.

2. It provides for realistic pedal/key feedback and interaction while playing. You can actually feel keypresses on the sustain pedal and pedal press/release in the keys. This is a very natural/organic "haptics" response you get even when playing with headphones/VST.

3. The change in key weighting with sustain down is noticeable to me, particularly as I tend to be a pedal abuser so I have to consciously play without the pedal and it forces me to notice the difference more.

My nitpics:

1. The pedal grading is zoned. The hammers are individually weighted, so I feel this was a bit of a cheap-out wink

2. I wish the dampers actually had sensors on them to trigger sustain. That would simplify regulation. As it were, I have to change/align 4-5 different things to get the damper weight, travel, key engagement point, and damper movement range adjusted realistically.

3. Where's the genuine sostenuto bar and una corda keybed shift? smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
Y
Y
Thanks a lot for your answers !

I will think about all this and take my decision in few days.

I'll then try to contribute to the return of my experience on the forum !

Thanks again.

Quick update on the line-out issue for those interested:

Kawai responded very quickly, had me try a few things with no success and then forwarded it to a technician who'll contact me after the Easter days. I wasn't contacted yet and my e-mail from last week asking about the current status is still unanswered sadly...I'll have to ring them on Friday then if still no response.

K
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by w3sp
Quick update on the line-out issue for those interested:

Kawai responded very quickly, had me try a few things with no success and then forwarded it to a technician who'll contact me after the Easter days. I wasn't contacted yet and my e-mail from last week asking about the current status is still unanswered sadly...I'll have to ring them on Friday then if still no response.

I know the forum is a quiet one, but the Kawai run german language forum might be a useful place for you to put a little pressure on Kawai Moderated german language forum

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by w3sp
I wasn't contacted yet and my e-mail from last week asking about the current status is still unanswered sadly...I'll have to ring them on Friday then if still no response.

In the past, in analogous circumstances, I've sometimes lost patience and contacted the manufacturer again and asked for a different, more responsive technician. That's worked for me either because I get a new technician that immediately contacts me, or because the manufacturer lights a fire under the original technician they sent to me. Just saying...

[Linked Image]

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Keep in mind that both last week and this week are “short” weeks in Germany, with only four workdays each. It might be that the technician is just busy or fully booked (most likely the tech does not service Kawai exclusively).

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
L
L
It's been quiet here for a while. Everyone must be busy practicing.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by llyw
It's been quiet here for a while. Everyone must be busy practicing.

I know! There are no more issues people are having with their NV10s! ... oh wait...

[Linked Image]

Page 157 of 276 1 2 155 156 157 158 159 275 276

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Juggling Piano!
by Sam S - 06/14/21 07:25 PM
Please help: Kawai ST-1 (institutional) or K-300?
by SantaCecilia - 06/14/21 07:11 PM
Kawai VPC1 velocity curve
by luigigiul76 - 06/14/21 06:17 PM
Quality of the piano dealership shop
by lct14558 - 06/14/21 05:58 PM
Studio piano vsts? eg Ivory, Alicia's Keys
by MarkOfJohnson - 06/14/21 05:30 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,513
Posts3,103,663
Members101,810
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission