2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, 13 invisible), 1,830 guests, and 303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cheshire Chris
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Not only technique, but musicianship is best learned with a teacher.

In an ideal world, yes, but if getting to lessons is an issue, I think that teaching yourself and getting your mistakes corrected by a teacher is a reasonable compromise.

thumb

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the ABF. Be patient and emjoy your studies.

Alesis Coda Pro
PianoVideoLessons.com Currently unit 4
Faber All In One -Level 2
Grateful Dead fan since 1987
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D

In an ideal world, yes, but if getting to lessons is an issue, I think that teaching yourself and getting your mistakes corrected by a teacher is a reasonable compromise.

Has that been your experience Chris ?

Don

Kawai MP7SE, On Stage KS7350 keyboard stand, KRK Classic 5 powered monitors, SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
G
G
I took about a years worth of lessons and then started playing on my own once I felt I had a general idea of what playing entailed. Basically right now I use CPE Bach's "The True Art of Playing Keyboard Instruments" as my guide, and select works from the WTK as my repertoire, with eyes on some LVB sonatas soon... But I think CPE's book would certainly have been a bit advanced for me as a true complete beginner without even any knowledge of very basics such as how the fingers are numbered 1-5, 2-4 etc, or even where middle C is located, hands seperate practice etc..basics I did get in those first lessons..

I know a lot of people have had success self learning from the Alfred All in One Adult Book, which I bought for a gf and glanced at, but it seemed way too rudimentary for me at the time..so I didn't work with it even though it seemed good for rank beginners possibly with no knowledge of even staffs or anything.

I also just play for enjoyment, and no concert pianist aspirations or anything so I have yet to hit a ceiling where I might think I need a teacher to get me to the next level or some such. Now sometimes I do miss the social aspect of lessons, and having someone to play for.

Glenn Gould once said he could teach someone everything they needed to know about playing the piano in about 30 minutes! I don't doubt it tbh...Shame he didn't have any students..anyway, just all depends I suppose..ymmv...either way I think with your musical background already you will pick it up better..

M
M
Skype maybe OK for more advanced students but beginners? I just don't see how you can beat in person lessons especially when compared with what will almost certainly be a single camera view. I can see that with very good equipment it would be much better - good lighting and a few camera angles.

Originally Posted by dmd

Has that been your experience Chris ?

It's pretty much what I'm doing myself, Don and, thus far, it seems to be working reasonably well.

Chris

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission