2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 237 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 236 237
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I really want to test N1X.

Dare you test the N1X after your piano adventures since December? You've owned a Roland and a Kawai. Test an N1X and you are daring fate on being overtaken by G.A.S. and having owned all a piano from each of the top three brands in a 3 month span! wink grin

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
N
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
N
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by Nordomus
I really want to test N1X.

Dare you test the N1X after your piano adventures since December? You've owned a Roland and a Kawai. Test an N1X and you are daring fate on being overtaken by G.A.S. and having owned all a piano from each of the top three brands in a 3 month span! wink grin

Haha, test like test in shop out of curiosity not test like test for new purchase, I'm done with changing pianos for this year wink Gonna wait for new models in upcoming years.

Last edited by Nordomus; 04/18/19 08:37 AM.

Roland LX708
C
C
Originally Posted by CyberGene
Originally Posted by MrKaramba
As written by CyberGene, Yamaha soprano register are artificially muffled and rolled off

I didn't say that, it was Gombessa. Actually, I find the high register in my N1X exactly to my liking, neither too bright, nor too muffled. When I recently played a CA78, I was disappointed by slightly piercing top octaves.

One interesting test I did today was to try pianoteq through my samson rubicon r6a speakers and through my CVP305 internal speakers. With the samsom's the top octaves sound piercing and there is a clear increase in loudness from F4 upwards. But with the CVP305 internal speakers the sound is more homogeneous and there is no piercing top range (although it comes a little muffled)

My conclusion is that yamaha chooses very well its speakers to give a very likeable sound without any outstanding defect and it matches very well the sound of a recorded piano. And maybe other manufacturers, even having "better" ingredients (samples, actions, speakers,.. whatever) don't match each part of the "piano equation" as well as yamaha does.

Carlos

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
A Spaniard who knows that the word is homogeneous, not homogenous. Bravo!

C
C
Originally Posted by MacMacMac
A Spaniard who knows that the word is homogeneous, not homogenous. Bravo!

Well.. spellchecker's merit.. but thanks :-)

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Disaster has befallen my piano! I think I may have our first test of how Yamaha does with warranty service. Tonight I was closing up the fall board after practice and it made a funny noise and the left side of the fall board popped out of its hinge. Now I can’t get it back on! There are U shaped brackets on the side of the piano and pins on the fall board that fit in the slot in the bracket. However if I get one side in, the other side is slightly too far to let the pin sit in the slot. It’s like the side of the piano moved or the pin recessed back in to the hinge mechanism. Either way I can’t get the fall board back in. Calling the dealer tomorrow.

Last edited by Chrispy; 04/20/19 05:48 AM.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Yikes. Hope you get it sorted.

Many soft close mechanisms require you to set the fallboard down at a slight angle (about 3 inches from fully open). Also, you may want to see if the soft-close mechanism is housed in the bracket--it may have swung to "closed" when the fallboard popped out, which is not letting the pin reseat, so you may have to find a way to "open" it before it will accept the pin (some Bosendorfers are like this).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
Your piano has come unhinged? It's joints are failing?

That sounds very familiar. I'm coming unhinged and my joints are failing. Well, that's age for you! smile

So, how old is your piano?

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Yikes. Hope you get it sorted.

Many soft close mechanisms require you to set the fallboard down at a slight angle (about 3 inches from fully open). Also, you may want to see if the soft-close mechanism is housed in the bracket--it may have swung to "closed" when the fallboard popped out, which is not letting the pin reseat, so you may have to find a way to "open" it before it will accept the pin (some Bosendorfers are like this).

Yeah I've looked at it a bit, the mechanism is on the fallboard itself, one on each side. They were misaligned but I was able to turn them to be the same way. The pins still don't mesh with the brackets on the body of the piano. I suspect the left side mechanism is broken and receded in to its housing a little bit, making it impossible to get the fallboard back in. My guess is the tech will need to replace the mechanism. It looks like an easy fix, three exposed screws. Dealer is working on finding a tech in the area who can do it (I'm a bit far from their store.)

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Hopefully they will fix it easily. Do you push the fall board forcefully when closing? In the manual they say it’s not recommended because it can break the mechanism. I’m always letting it close by itself.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
I always let mine close slowly on its own. I actually enjoy the peacefulness of it. It's like saying "Amen" after a prayer. smile

I love to tinker. If it were my fallboard, I'd be taking it apart to try and figure out what's wrong. I'm sure it will get sorted out soon.

God Bless,
David

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Hopefully they will fix it easily. Do you push the fall board forcefully when closing? In the manual they say it’s not recommended because it can break the mechanism. I’m always letting it close by itself.

That's a good question. I don't, but I'll make sure my son isn't. I missed that in the manual!

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
N1X is now €7499, down from €7899 at Thomann. D*mn!

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/22/19 01:01 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Just got off the phone with a tech. I'm taking a photo of the part so he can make sure we are talking about the same thing. He recently fixed a slow close mechanism on a Yamaha acoustic and may have the part he needs on hand and would be able to come out in two weeks to replace it. Here's hoping Yamaha reuses a lot of parts between pianos because otherwise he suspects it will be 6 weeks for Yamaha to ship him a new one frown

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
N1X is now €7499, down from €7899 at Thomann. D*mn!

Sorry to hear that, but suspect you already know that early adopters pay the highest price across a product's life cycle smile It's just going to keep going down (remember the N1 sells for <$6k now). Don't worry, your NV-10 brethren are right there with you on this.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
I hope to be a NV10 clansman. But that must wait for two years. So perhaps I won't have to pay the early-adopters penalty?
... you already know that early adopters pay the highest price across a product's life cycle.
Don't worry, your NV-10 brethren are right there with you on this.

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
I hope to be a NV10 clansman. But that must wait for two years. So perhaps I won't have to pay the early-adopters penalty?

That'll be over 3 years from initial release in the US, so I'm sure you'll be able to find it at an agreeable discount (easily less than $10k). But Kawai may have a new revision of their hardware and sound engine by then, too wink

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member

It will be NV10x by then so you will be in the same boat.

It's not the price that most concerns me. It's the defects that must be worked out.
That'll be over 3 years from initial release in the US, so I'm sure you'll be able to find it at an agreeable discount (easily less than $10k). But Kawai may have a new revision of their hardware and sound engine by then, too wink

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Honestly, three years should be more than enough time to incorporate any "running changes" in production to address systemic issues. But I suspect your best bet for information will be to keep an eye on the NV10 threads here; you'll be able to see if we get any more reports of buzzing (seems to have quieted down already), broken hammers (two reports so far), etc. over the next couple of years.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Page 28 of 237 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission