2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
56 members (APianistHasNoName, Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, 9 invisible), 1,870 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 45 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 44 45
F
F
The dynamics of the Piano-world forum, we even learn about the cultural differences! By the way, I agree with the above. I have lived in every part of the world, and sometimes you think you understand each other, while in fact, both are trying to communicate and do their best, but are not even close. For instance, the concept of "group thinking vs individual", or "family orientation", or "politeness vs directness", or "spontanic actions vs planning", etc.. this is so different around the world. Is this the same for music appreciation?

C
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by FlexHank
[...] this is so different around the world. Is this the same for music appreciation?

Or Casio piano sound appreciation?

laugh

F
F
Originally Posted by clothearednincompo
Originally Posted by FlexHank
[...] this is so different around the world. Is this the same for music appreciation?

Or Casio piano sound appreciation?

laugh

Sorry, just bought a Kawai, but Casio has its market segment

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Best in it's weight class, without doubt.
Do you gig and move yours around much?

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
D
D
And here I was... hoping that the whole new page of comments that got added to this thread would be from happy people who's PX-S3000 arrived before mine did. Nope. Instead, it was just a bunch of sarcasm.

Dang.

Last edited by DoogansDad; 04/14/19 07:30 AM.
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I tried the 1000 out at GC and SA in NYC- but they had it at the top of a tier with no pedal- so it was not either really comfortable to play or realistic in the sense that I wouldn't be playing a piano 3 feet above normal with no pedal!

I think Casio did a nice job with this; a clear sound and expressive. However, I didn't think the speakers were particularly loud, I actually prefer the ones on my P125 which I think project the low end a little better. However the speakers were defintely an improvement over the x50 series from years ago.

I just left it on the initial piano sound-

I'm not sure I will by this as I already have a P125 for this role but who knows, maybe once I can try it out with a pedal and on a stand I will feel differently.

Off topic I also tried the FP10 and thought it was decent in the $400-$500 range but it doesnt seem to have lineouts.

Kawai Es8
Korg Nautilus 61
Yamaha P125
Arturia KeyLab MKII
Yamaha CK61
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by PossumES8Krome61
However the speakers were defintely an improvement over the x50 series from years ago.

The x50 series itself varied. The 350 had better speakers than the 150. Do you remember which you tried (i.e. which you're comparing the 1000 to)?

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
When I go to a GC and they have it on those slanted wall stands, which effects the action weighting, I take it off the wall without asking and put it on a floor stand. They never mind. And I leave it that way.

Last edited by rintincop; 04/14/19 01:28 PM.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
M
M
For what I have seen and heard these new models of the Privia line have 3 advantages:

1. They are more compact.

2. Less noise from the keyboard mechanism. It also seems to me that the distance between keys is more uniform.

3. The main piano sound is more 'open' or 'natural'.

These are not dramatic improvements and do not seem to justify upgrading from the previous line. But I have some expectation about a future PX-S5000 model, replacing the PX-560. A second version of Hex layers, more controls, and not the same key action that is in PX-S1000/3000. I know that Casio 'philosophy' is to have the same key action
through the whole line but it would be much more interesting to have something more close to Kawai ES-8 or Roland Fp-90 in terms of keybed quality (even if it is to have a non-compact and not ultra light DP).

Last edited by MarioPf; 04/15/19 06:46 AM.
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by MarioPf
For what I have seen and heard these new models of the Privia line have 3 advantages:

That is only an advantage if you are carrying it around. Otherwise is irrelevant. They os weight the same as the previous PX generation (ca. 12 Kg) and the dimensions are not that different:
Previous PX models: 1322 x 293 x 147 mm
Current models: 1322 x 232 x 102 mm

2. Less noise from the keyboard mechanism. It also seems to me that the distance between keys is more uniform.

If they are indeed less noisy that would be excellent. The previous Casio action (at least on the slabs) was extremely noisy.

What do you mean by uniform key distance? I have seen several previous generation PX models and never detected issues with the keyboard, apart from the noise.

Anyway, the action is also more compact, which means a shorter pivot point on an already short key. And just two sensors along with some marketing magic that makes it "better" than a three sensor action...

M
M
Originally Posted by arc7urus

That is only an advantage if you are carrying it around. Otherwise is irrelevant. They os weight the same as the previous PX generation (ca. 12 Kg) and the dimensions are not that different:
Previous PX models: 1322 x 293 x 147 mm
Current models: 1322 x 232 x 102 mm

And if are short of space. At least the PX-S1000 can run on batteries and you may think to go out with it more times.

What do you mean by uniform key distance? I have seen several previous generation PX models and never detected issues with the keyboard, apart from the noise.

My PX-560 has an irregular space between some consecutive keys. Maybe this not occur with all DP but I think I've remember that more people were complaining about that. It was something very annoying in the first days but now I don't care anymore.

Anyway, the action is also more compact, which means a shorter pivot point on an already short key. And just two sensors along with some marketing magic that makes it "better" than a three sensor action...

I have an old Roland cabinet model with long pivot points and I've felt immediately that in the PX-560 some keys 'don't produce sound'. It took some weeks to adapt to the shorter pivots points. We could say that this is not a limitation but this not exactly true.

"Two sensors x Three sensors" - One have to try to 'see' with our own fingers.

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
But I have some expectation about a future PX-S5000 model, replacing the PX-560...not the same key action that is in PX-S1000/3000. I know that Casio 'philosophy' is to have the same key action through the whole line but it would be much more interesting

It may be more interesting, but one way Casio succeeds as a high value line is by keeping costs down by re-using the same components in different products across the line and over some period of time. Since they just developed a new action, I doubt their plans include immediately developing another one.

M
M
Originally Posted by anotherscott
But I have some expectation about a future PX-S5000 model, replacing the PX-560...not the same key action that is in PX-S1000/3000. I know that Casio 'philosophy' is to have the same key action through the whole line but it would be much more interesting

It may be more interesting, but one way Casio succeeds as a high value line is by keeping costs down by re-using the same components in different products across the line and over some period of time. Since they just developed a new action, I doubt their plans include immediately developing another one.

The new CDP-S and PX-S models have the same dimensions and almost the same key action, only the PX-S line have a 'Smart' action, which is a software feature. So, if a future PX-S5000 would also have the 'Smart Scaled Hammer Action' this means that the top Privia model will have basically the same key action that is present in the entry models. This would be very disappointing but probably this would be the Casio decision.

A
A
Link to webinar on the px-s3000...

https://www.crowdcast.io/e/px-s3000

D
D
Mine is supposed to arrive today.
Woohoooo

Last edited by DoogansDad; 04/18/19 09:46 AM.
D
D
Thanks a lot Mike Martin for that Webinar! You just cost me $900! Great job by the way..
I just ordered the PX-S3000 and is due to arrive Monday 4/22.
The only shortfall appears to be the electric Piano tones. Why can't Casio give us a decent Fender Rhodes sample? They could take the market with this keyboard if they would stop serving us cheesy EP tones. Yamaha excels for EP.

B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
That sounds great. Great playing, Mike Martin!

If you're a gigging musician who carries his/her own equipment, this looks like a great option.

For at home playing or going into a recording studio, I would prefer a more expensive digital grand for optimal piano feel, but for gigging, weight is an issue. I bought a gig bag for my 55lb. Roland FP-90, but after lugging it one time to a friend's house, I decided that it is staying at home. I only put it in the gig bag one more time - to take it to the repair shop.

Roland FP-90; Pianoteq 6 + many add-ons; 2 Yamaha HS8s; ATH-M50X and Samson SR850 headphones; Xenyx Q802USB interface. 2; I make a living playing a Yamaha PSR-S970 with FBT Maxx 2a's, Crowne Headset Mic. I also play guitar.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Review PX-S3000

It's a total upgrade. The best playing action and sounding board I've ever owned other than my Mason & Hamlin acoustic piano.

Key Action: superb
Dynamic Response: pp-ff excellent
Grand Piano: impressive with realistic behavior
Speakers: clear

Clean Vintage Tone Rhodes: EP1 is authentic BUT first you must Turn OFF Phaser and Tremolo for a clean tone, then it's fine for soloing. I assigned Control Knob 1 to Chorus and Control Knob 2 to Reverb.

Vibraphone 1: excellent
Acoustic Bass: excellent

Editing interface takes getting used to...

It sounds great for gigs when I boost the volume with my customized Fender Rumble 40 Bass amp. There's no harshness.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by rintincop
Review PX-S3000

It's a total upgrade. The best playing action and sounding board I've ever owned other than my Mason & Hamlin acoustic piano.

Dynamic Response: pp-ff excellent
Grand Piano: impressive with realistic behavior
Speakers: clear

Clean Vintage Tone Rhodes: EP1 is authentic BUT first you must Turn OFF Phaser and Tremolo for a clean tone, then it's fine for soloing. I assigned Control Knob 1 to Chorus and Control Knob 2 to Reverb.

Vibraphone 1: excellent
Acoustic Bass: excellent

Editing interface takes getting used to...

It sounds great for gigs when I boost the volume with my customized Fender Rumble 40 Bass amp. There's no harshness.

Any thoughts about the dreaded Casio pivot that everyone is always gnashing their teeth over? laugh

Enthusiastic but mediocre amateur.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by rintincop
Review PX-S3000

Could you try playing it near the fallboard on both the black and white keys, and then do that on your M&H and give us a comparison between the two?

The PX-S3000 sounds like it would make a great travel piano for me, but not if the action near the fallboard is poor.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Page 29 of 45 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission