2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
53 members (Aylin, brdwyguy, bcalvanese, accordeur, 36251, Bostonmoores, 20/20 Vision, Adam Reynolds, Burkhard, 1200s, 6 invisible), 1,336 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 33 of 81 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 80 81
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by WeakLeftHand

I think it’s CAD$379 per level, online exam included. It would make sense that the online exam would be the same or very similar to the written one.

Here’s a link:
https://www.rcmusic.com/learning/digital-learning/music-theory-levels-5-8

Oh wow, I just logged and try to buy. It is 380 per level. That's a bit too much.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by bSharp(C)yclist

I think it’s CAD$379 per level, online exam included. It would make sense that the online exam would be the same or very similar to the written one.

Here’s a link:
https://www.rcmusic.com/learning/digital-learning/music-theory-levels-5-8

Oh wow, I just logged and try to buy. It is 380 per level. That's a bit too much.

Yeah, with 4 levels, that’s a whopping $1,516! Maybe I should consider self study and just take the exams. I believe that’s Canadian dollars though so Americans get a 35% “discount”.

Kawai K500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Yes, it appears that is was $380 for 5-8, but when you look further into it, the charge is for each level. I did read you get access for a year.

Deb
"A goal properly set is halfway reached." Zig Ziglar
DFSRN #2840526 04/18/19 10:19 PM
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by DFSRN
Yes, it appears that is was $380 for 5-8, but when you look further into it, the charge is for each level. I did read you get access for a year.

Yes, access for a year but I wonder if there is something downloadable, like an ebook, or PDF document with all the knowledge? What if I’m done level 5 and want to refresh my memory before level 6? I wish they were clearer about that.

I suppose the old fashioned pen and paper is still the better way.

Kawai K500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
You may buy the theory book for a review. It does not appear that you can take the test online if you don't do the online class.
Theory book link
https://bookstore.rcmusic.com/books2-59/theory.html

From the RCM site
Examination Information for Intermediate Theory, Levels 5–8: Digital Courses with Exam
The Level 5-8 Theory requirements are now available for study as a digital course with online exam, providing a complete digital learning experience. Students working in the digital environment are offered unlimited practice opportunities which provides them with an opportunity to become familiar with both the content and question types before attempting either the unit tests or final examination.

The course includes eight graded unit tests worth a total of 40% of the overall mark and one final exam worth 60% of the overall mark. All unit tests and the final exam are available on demand. They can be attempted by students at any time, and in any place that has a reliable internet connection but unit tests must be completed in sequence prior to the final exam. For the final exam, it is strongly recommended:

That the online final exam be proctored in case the exam is ever submitted for secondary school credit and due to shifting guidelines;
That students confirm with their school that a proctored online exam will be accepted for secondary school credit.
Note that to ensure the academic integrity of the exam, the Proctor SHOULD NOT be a relative (e.g. mother, father, brother, sister, aunt, uncle, cousin, etc) NOR should the Proctor be the personal music teacher of the exam candidate.

U.S. exam theory fees
Level 5 Theory: $125
Level 6 Theory: $135
Level 7 Theory: $145
Level 8 Theory: $155
Level 9 Harmony & Counterpoint: $175
Level 9 History: $175
Level 10 Harmony & Counterpoint: $195
Level 10 History: $195
ARCT Harmony & Counterpoint: $240
ARCT Analysis: $240
ARCT History: $240
ARCT Teachers Written: $240
Elementary Piano Pedagogy Written: $165
Intermediate Piano Pedagogy Written: $185
Advanced Piano Pedagogy Written: $240
Academic Qualifying Exam: $850

Deb
W
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
W
The online option sounds like one I'd like to try. I wish it were less pricey but then when I look at college tuition, it's a bargain. I've done self study on the two theory exams I've done so far and passed both. I've also supplemented self-study by auditing the music theory course at my university and taking free online theory courses through Coursera. The Coursera courses are not equivalent to the depth required for the RCM exams but do get the brain familiar with the content. You can also buy theory books and practice exams. Each one is about $18.

[[Linked Image].
Wise as in learner
Buff as in Colorado Buffalo
W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
I’m asking very nicely: would someone be nice enough and brave enough to try it and report back? wink

Kawai K500
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I’m asking very nicely: would someone be nice enough and brave enough to try it and report back? wink

I will definitely be trying the online RCM theory test, but not soon. I'm not ready for the level 5 theory exam yet. The convenience wins over cost. Later this year though.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Why not just get the level 5 celebrate theory book and take the written exam?

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

That's not as convenient for me. I'd actually have to go somewhere. wink I already have to do that to take the performance test. So getting to take the theory exam at home is a nice perk.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

That's not as convenient for me. I'd actually have to go somewhere. wink I already have to do that to take the performance test. So getting to take the theory exam at home is a nice perk.

I see. Was suggesting that to save money. I think it would be 1/3 the cost.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W

For me, it’s because I don’t want to be the only adult in a sea of children and pre-teens taking the exam.

Kawai K500
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
I live in a rural area, I would probably have to go and spend the night, which is travel and food costs. Unless the exam areas are close by it really not bad given like someone mentioned the cost of tuition. However, I also have to purchase an IPAD, I have a Samsung table. Have not used Apple Products, just have stuck with Windows and Samsung tablets. I don't need to take it and will never do anything with it except for my own self-satisfaction and music progression.

Don't know if someone else posted this link or I found it (sign of old age).

RCM Theory Syllabus
https://files.rcmusic.com//sites/default/files/files/S44_TheorySyl_2016_ONLINE_RCM_V2_F.PDF

Last edited by DFSRN; 04/19/19 04:58 PM.

Deb
D
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
D
Tyrone that is about worth the cost. I wish I could preview and try out a unit of one of the theory courses, I like to try hands on before I purchase.

Deb
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

I see. Was suggesting that to save money. I think it would be 1/3 the cost.

So I was thinking that if I didn't do the RCM theory exam(s) online, then I should register for it to take in-person. Clearly, I'm too late for the May/June exams for Theory Grade 5, and neither do I think I would be ready for it anyways, even if I paid the $45 late fee, as I'm only just finishing up a grade 2 level theory workbook now. So after May/June is August, and if I miss August, then the RCM exams won't come around again until 2020.

However, I won't be ready for any of the piano practical exams by either May/June or August 2019. I haven't yet started preparing for any with my teacher. Is it possible to sit for the RCM theory exams even if you have never sat for the piano practical exams yet? Has anyone done this?

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
There should be a winter session (Nov/Dec) after August in which you could take the exam. I took the theory exam this past December. The practicals will probably be towards the end of November.

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

R
R
Thanks to all for your app recommendations!

I'm finally back to proper piano learning, resuming lessons today after a month break during which I sometimes played, sometimes not… I need to just download the free versions of several apps and then decide which one(s) will work for me.

Originally Posted by WiseBuff
Welcome RosemaryGirl! We're glad to have you join our group of milestone seekers. IMHO the exams themselves are not a necessity to enjoy the piano but following a curriculum has merits for becoming a well-rounded musician. I work with the RCM exam although ABRSM is available in the area, I believe. I have completed levels 5 and 6 and am enjoying learning a larger portion of the level 7 pieces. Rather than just pass the exam, I want to be deeply competent in this level before I move on to another. In the meantime I am developing a nice repertoire of pieces. I encourage you to learn to memorize at the earlier levels. It's difficult for one to pick up that skill at a more advanced stage. There are online resources for learning music theory including free online courses. I just started one in Coursera titled "How to write like Mozart".

That's exactly the way I'm looking at the exam syllabus; thanks, WiseBuff! With all the travelling I do, I'm not sure at all when I'll take exams, but it's helping build a solid foundation and it's nice to feel like there's some direction to it all. I found out early on that memorising pieces just happens almost straight away for me, so the repertoire of easy pieces is growing nicely… but still feels very short, because the pieces aren't very long at all! I'm sure my body of recital-ready pieces it will get longer in time.

Happy practising and exam taking to those sitting a spring session!

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
There should be a winter session (Nov/Dec) after August in which you could take the exam. I took the theory exam this past December. The practicals will probably be towards the end of November.

I could see being ready for practical exams toward the end of November. So there are 3 sessions a year then for RCM in the US: May/June, August, and November/December? The RCM website only lists the first two of these for 2018-19, so I assumed that was all there was.

[Linked Image]

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Not sure why the website doesn't show it. I'm looking at my archived email and here were the previous dates. Based on this I would assume there would be another winter session this year. Maybe they will post it after the May/June exams. I got the emails about registration being open at the beginning of September for each of the years below.

Practical Examinations:
November 25–December 7, 2017

Theory Examinations:
December 8 & 9, 2017

Practical Examinations:
November 24 – December 6, 2018

Theory Examinations:
December 14 & 15, 2018

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Not sure why the website doesn't show it. I'm looking at my archived email and here were the previous dates. Based on this I would assume there would be another winter session this year. Maybe they will post it after the May/June exams. I got the emails about registration being open at the beginning of September for each of the years below.

Practical Examinations:
November 25–December 7, 2017

Theory Examinations:
December 8 & 9, 2017

Practical Examinations:
November 24 – December 6, 2018

Theory Examinations:
December 14 & 15, 2018

Did they have an August session in past years also? I'm wondering if they might have replaced November/December with August. But if in past years, they also had an August session, then I think they will be having the November/December session even if it's not posted to the website yet.

[Linked Image]

Page 33 of 81 1 2 31 32 33 34 35 80 81

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,189
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission