2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (AlkansBookcase, Barry_Braksick, danno858, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, 14 invisible), 1,836 guests, and 283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I think it sounds very good. Especially the mids and lows have an organic woody quality to the sound. The sustain of a note after the initial attack is quite good. And it's the actions new dynamic control software that makes it so sensitive to touch. Only the Yamaha CP4 has had such sensitive dynamics in a stage piano. The Nords are the worst in that aspect.

Last edited by rintincop; 04/08/19 02:23 PM.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What’s this dynamic control software? Have you got your Casio already? I think some people complained about the short pivot point? Do you find that a problem? As to sustain and wood, well I think it sounds exactly the opposite to me: metallic and thin, especially in the sustain. But it’s a matter of taste I guess.

Last edited by CyberGene; 04/08/19 02:30 PM.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Try listening in Sony MDR-7506 headphones. Short pivot, not a problem.

Find 660 of Harry's solo piano arrangements for educational purposes and jazz tutorials at https://www.patreon.com/HarryLikas
Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
You mean there’s no short pivot, Casio solved it mechanically? Or you don’t find short pivot a problem?

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by CyberGene
You mean there’s no short pivot, Casio solved it mechanically? Or you don’t find short pivot a problem?

Depending on your hand geometry, shorter usable keys are not a problem.

Yamaha P-515
H
H
PianoManChuck: You have recently reviewed two entry-level pianos at nearly the same price point: the Casio PX-S1000 and the Korg D1. You seemed to like the keyboards in both. In your view, which keyboard do you prefer and why?

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoeT
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Depending on your hand geometry, shorter usable keys are not a problem.

Yep, I think that too. Also, being used to acoustic piano keys I've had a tendency to 'roam' a bit backwards and forwards, with a habit of 'moving forward for more delicate passages.' With my current rather basic DP that isn't really practical because of the heavier weight towards the 'fall-board' so I've had to stop that - not sure if that's a good or a bad thing technique-wise, tbh, but in the long run I'd much prefer to get something which behaves more like the acoustic and gives that freedom.

regards
Pete
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Also, being used to acoustic piano keys I've had a tendency to 'roam' a bit backwards and forwards, with a habit of 'moving forward for more delicate passages.' With my current rather basic DP that isn't really practical because of the heavier weight towards the 'fall-board' so I've had to stop that - not sure if that's a good or a bad thing technique-wise, tbh, but in the long run I'd much prefer to get something which behaves more like the acoustic and gives that freedom.

The piano doesn't need to be acoustic to have full length (15 cm) usable keys. Some digitals have keys, that are only full length visually, which could be called fakery.

To get a more realistic picture of these digitals, you have to move the "fallboard" further to the front (covering the unusable area like it does on a real piano) and realize what tiny mini-keys these digital pianos actually have.

Find the pivot, align a 5-7 cm wide and 130 cm long strip to it, covering the keys. Depending on the digital action, you end up with most of the black keys covered. What you now see, is your real key size. Now you can tell, if your hands are wide and fingers short enough to play on these keys.

Yamaha P-515
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Here is a visual demonstration of entry level digital pianos:

[Linked Image]

Same total instrument depth, same action dimensions, just no visual illusion of full size keys.

If you can play on these keys, you are fine. If you can't, you're out of luck and have to look for a different model.

Yamaha P-515
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Interesting. I do play further in than that on my DP, but it requires more strength and to start off with a mental reminder to myself that that I needed to concentrate on controlling speed of key depression as well. Having got used to it I've a feeling though that if I return to a decent key length it won't be easy to adjust, just like it wasn't easy to adjust to the old DP's keys (I did a lot of finger exercises at one stage of my muddy footsteps in 'teaching myself' so fingers are quite strong, but control still sometimes requires extra concentration.) Makes it potentially tricky to test other actions - the DP has an unweighted, 'rubber sprung' action - but it would be relief not to have to press so hard.

regards
Pete
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by petebfrance
Interesting. I do play further in than that on my DP, but it requires more strength and to start off with a mental reminder to myself that that I needed to concentrate on controlling speed of key depression as well.

That standard piano key goes down 10 mm. If we have a section, where especially the black keys don't really budge, they can't be considered standard length and this is what the (of course exaggerated) visual demonstration is about. It also shows, that people who don't use the full size of the keys, aren't affected.

Somehow digital piano marketing thinks, that a short key is a positive attribute for a digital piano, like some car maker advertising "backseat with smallest leg room we ever made". I wouldn't be to proud to that. wink

Yamaha P-515
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
I think the Casio Rhodes EP at 8:15 sounds real nice. I think the Casio "Piano" and the "Rhodes" samples both sound much better than the Yamaha P125 versions demoed at 11:10.

3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member

S
S
Be great to see an A/B comparison of the PX-S1000 vs. an ES-110. Only about $100 price difference, with the ES-110 about 2lbs pound heavier and 2" deeper.

Last edited by Steve.L; 04/10/19 03:57 PM.
F
F
A more balanced review, see https://youtu.be/cZIiVuNPXEA
At least it is a better review than Chuck's "it feels really great reviews"

A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by FlexHank
A more balanced review, see https://youtu.be/cZIiVuNPXEA
At least it is a better review than Chuck's "it feels really great reviews"

While he may be more willing to point out shortcomings, the info isn't necessarily accurate. To "prove" that Casio's "2 sensor plus software" allows for repetition like a 3 sensor, he demonstrates using something two sensors are never an impediment to (high velocity repeats where the key is fully lifted between each strike anyway... the third sensor of a 3-sensor board doesn't come into play doing something like that anyway). He says the Yamaha CP88 is 3x the weight of the Casio... it is less than 2x.

C
C
Newbie here! First post ever so be nice to the new boy smile

I've been researching for the right portable piano since the beginning of the year. An all-in-one solution, I could take to small gigs and practice sessions with instrumentalists/singers that didn't require me lugging a separate PA or amp (so stage pianos like Yamaha CP88 and Nord out of the question).

I should stress, I do NOT work for Casio, but I did once own a Privia PX350 a while back and was fairly satisfied with it as a portable instrument until a few years ago when some of the keys became a little rattly and loose and started to feel rather uneven (which I hear is common with all digitals).

With NAMM declaring the new Privia PXS-3000 as its "Best in Show", I was interested and keen to see whether this keyboard action was any improvement. Obviously, it is not released yet, but I did spend an afternoon in London and found a music store with the PXS-1000 and with curiosity and an open mind. I wanted to TRY it myself and see how it felt. Was the short pivot (as mentioned by previous posters) a problem or not? I knew it ought to be in theory, but what about in practice?

Here are my thoughts in this YouTube clip live & unedited - discussing mainly the pivot (and comparing its action to a more premium Casio action).

(Apologies for the low volume on the piano, I didn't want to draw too much attention to myself filming as there were other customers browsing across the room).

The Summary: Like the same repeated advice explained over and over again. You have to try this action for yourself and decide.

I, personally, was actually impressed with what Casio has achieved here in such a compact form. (I'll be honest, I hate the fact it looks like a toy - but was reassured when it didn't feel so bad). It's certainly DIFFERENT to what they have had before with the old Tri Sensor Hammer Action II (which I remember falling in love with 6 years ago when it first came out until it got loose over the years). I feel it's definitely quieter and smoother (although how long this will last I don't know). I definitely prefer it to the plastic and clunky Yamaha GHS action on the P45 across the room.

Is the short pivot a problem? Personally, I don't think it is. YES, it is noticeably heavier towards the fallboard compared to the key edge, but I'd say it's no heavier than some compact acoustic uprights I've played in the past. It's certainly controllable. I could play rapidly repeated notes, and adjust velocity/weight to produce various articulation and dynamic changes. Maybe it's my technique (to be fair, I teach students on their own instruments - everything from digital 61 key toys, to Yamaha Clavinovas to Yamaha Silent Pianos to Steinway Grands in one week - so I'm very used to adapting my technique to the instrument). Between schlepping a "portable" Yamaha P515 (the lightest between the top 3 including Roland FP90 and Kawai ES8) - this is totally acceptable and I did not feel anyway inhibited as a player compared to some acoustic uprights I've played in the past. Plus, this is very good value for money.

Was I blown away with this action as much as I was when I was first introduced to the Casio Privia PX350? No, not really to be honest. BUT, I have come to the conclusion that it is an improvement on the old action. And for that reason, I've ordered a PXS-3000 along with the rucksack gig bag and 3 pedal unit, and have booked a gig with it at the end of the month. smile

F
F
Keyboard makes a lot of noise on your video, quite noticeable

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
BOTH are two sensor actions. While I don't expect you to take my word for it, these new instruments especially the PX-S series perform better in almost every respect than the tri-sensor action found in previous models. Trust me we had people meticulously comparing them throughout the NAMM show.

This sounds impossible... have you got the number of a patent which describes how the DP compute the velocity if the key trigger the second sensor many times ?

http://www.sinerj.org/
http://humeur-synthe.sinerj.org/
Yamaha N1X, Bechstein Digital Grand, Garritan CFX, Ivory II pianos, Galaxy pianos, EWQL Pianos, Native-Instrument The Definitive Piano Collection, Soniccouture Hammersmith, Truekeys, Pianoteq
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
Originally Posted by Mike_Martin
BOTH are two sensor actions. While I don't expect you to take my word for it, these new instruments especially the PX-S series perform better in almost every respect than the tri-sensor action found in previous models. Trust me we had people meticulously comparing them throughout the NAMM show.

This sounds impossible... have you got the number of a patent which describes how the DP compute the velocity if the key trigger the second sensor many times ?

A two sensor action cannot outperform a three sensor action when it comes to detecting repeats without fully releasing the key. If this action is indeed an improvement in that respect, then the logical explanation is that there was a design flaw in the previous triple sensor action.

Page 27 of 45 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission