2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
26 members (crab89, EVC2017, clothearednincompo, APianistHasNoName, JohnCW, Kawai James, Fried Chicken, CraiginNZ, 8 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2834139 04/02/19 05:48 AM
J
jazztpt Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
I'll kick off the bar again this month with a few tunes of mine.

First off is 'One Two and Three' which I have been playing around with for a few months.

One Two and Three

Next up is 'New Lifetime' , I posted the improvisation (jazz) section last year with the ending removed, a few were interested so I have included it here, the ending recorded using midi and a Yamaha SY35 synth about 25 years ago, for the time I think the sounds are pretty decent. (jump to 3:40 if you just want to listen to the ending)

New Lifetime

And just for fun here is one from the archive , this is a tune called 'Truthfully' and I can say truthfully I have no idea why. In this one a band turned up to the Bar and played some elevator music :-)
Again all recorded using midi and the Yamaha SY35 synth. Production is basic by todays standards but it was 25 years ago and I had no idea what I was doing lol.

Truthfully

Thanks for listening

Jazztpt

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Jazztpt - One, Two and Three Not a waltz as I was expecting from the title, but very, very pleasant music. I could sing along the words "One, two and three" with the first notes of the melody. The piece is lacking a lyric. EDIT: Oh, I just realized your composition must be written in 6/8 time, at least the way you are playing it sounds like that.
New Lifetime Very jazzy and freely played. A new lifetime... Isn't that what we all want?
Truthfully Very good elevator music, indeed. I would love to hear this tune when I take an elevator next time.

I recently recorded a couple of pieces by the Korean New Age composer Yiruma, I find quite nice with his treble oriented, slightly syncopated style. Here is my latest work from yesterday. I am playing this piece a little faster than Yiruma himself, trying to let it sound less “cornball”.

Yiruma, Maybe

Last edited by Pianist685; 04/02/19 12:03 PM.
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Jazztpt, you piano playing is really expressive (since your main instrument is tpt?) You show three very different faces with these three. I like your runs and melodic sense,
Wish you would EQ these, though. One Two Three especially as it is something new.
Pianist685 don’t know this composer but I bet he would be pleased with your playing. Very light and adept.

My contribution...

https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070/bluebird-boulevard

Jazz at www.newartistsrecords.com. Search Michael Levy. Use Safari for free tracks.
https://soundcloud.com/michael-levy-387395070 for jazz, classical, world, rock tracks Albums on Bandcamp: https://michaelalevy.bandcamp.com/music
Kawai ES8, Casio PXS3000
J
jazztpt Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Thanks Constantin and Mike for your comments.

Constantin - 'Yiruma , Maybe' a charming and sweet piece with I must say, impeccable playing. Very nice indeed.

MIke - One of my favourites of yours , melody and rich harmonly with some lovely voicings. I am impressed how you maintain interest throughout your pieces.
In this one , at times I was hearing Greensleeves, was it based on that at all?

Thanks for the tip on EQ, no idea what it does but I will look into it :-)

Jazztpt

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Lush Life -- Billy Strayhorn arr Nelson Riddle

Here is the first of three more submissions from the Linda Ronstadt/Nelson Riddle collaboration, covering some of the finest standards from the Great American Songbook. "Lush Life" has to be one of the most harmonically complex songs ever to make it into the standard repertoire. Apparently Billy Strayhorn wrote it in his early 20s, although it didn't make its mark until Nat King Cole recorded it in 1949 (and evidently, Strayhorn didn't like the arrangement that Cole used). Note how Riddle starts with a highly dissonant, harsh introduction that gradually morphs into the opening recitative. He otherwise IMO provides a pretty straightforward treatment of the song, but wow -- what changes!

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Skylark -- Hoagy Carmichael arr Nelson Riddle

The second from the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration is "Skylark", by Hoagy Carmichael -- IMO, one of the really underrated songwriters from the 30s and 40s. The bridge is just so exquisite harmonically; it rivals Jerome Kern's elegant writing in that regard. And Riddle provides both a wonderful introduction and conclusion to the song, IMO perfectly capturing the melancholy of the lyric.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
You Took Advantage of Me -- Richard Rodgers arr Nelson Riddle

The final number from the Ronstadt/Riddle collaboration is more up-tempo in nature -- and there weren't many of those in the mix; they strongly gravitated to the torch song element of the American Songbook. "You Took Advantage of Me" is from that utter treasure trove of Rodgers and Hart standards from the 1930s. The musicals aren't much remembered any more, but the songs sure are!

Originally Posted by Tim Adrianson
You Took Advantage of Me -- Richard Rodgers arr Nelson Riddle

... "You Took Advantage of Me" is from that utter treasure trove of Rodgers and Hart standards from the 1930s. The musicals aren't much remembered any more, but the songs sure are!

Tim - really excellent rendition of this delightful song which I didn't know and had never heard before - and this caught me totally off guard because I thought I had heard almost everything by the great team of Rogers and Hart over the years...

I went to YouTube to check out versions and Linda's was there and it's a good one, and so is Ella's, but my favorite is one by the often underrated Rosemary Cloney from 1960 in an arrangement by Riddle which is great listening...

Also, Wiki tells me this song was composed in 1928 for the musical "Present Arms" (later a movie). The lyrics of the bridge seem just a tad risque for the time (or maybe not):

I'm so hot and bothered that I don't
Know my elbow from my ear
I suffer something awful each time you go
And much worse when you're near...

So, thanks much for the introduction - my own submission to the Bar this month will be another great Rogers and Hart classic song from a 30s musical, "My Funny Valentine" (as soon as I get it recorded satisfactorily).

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Michael – Bluebird Boulevard A very nice, contemplative improvisation. The cloudy sunset photo seems very appropriate to the song. Wow, you have hired a whole church choir for just some short background passages.

Tim – Skylark A very tender tune, I have never heard before. And an appropriate complement to the other Carmichael song (Stardust) I posted last month. Not meant as a criticism: but could it be your piano needs some tuning?
Lush Life The arrangement is very artful, indeed, somewhat dramatic at first, impressionistic throughout the theme. I am tempted to call that “classical music” instead of “jazz”. If my memory serves, we had a rendition of this song already in an earlier Piano Bar, maybe by Riddler (not Riddle).
You took advantage of me Great, fantastic! It put me in a good mood. This Riddle arrangement you are playing is marvellous. In fact, unlike Handyman, this is the only tune of your bunch of three that I know, though I cannot remember whose version I have heard before and when.

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Jazztpt,
I must confess that this style of jazz is very new to me and I find it difficult to understand its structure. I keep seeking to hear repeats of melody or motif but the music evolves as if alive! Your playing is great and I applaud your improvisations.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
#2834787 04/03/19 12:05 PM
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Pianist 685,

Very dreamy and evocative music superbly played.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
IosPlayer,
I very much enjoyed all of your bluebird-boulevard up to 1:30 but then you introduced what I can only describe as "jangles". Your call of course but it made me slightly nervous.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Tim,

First thing I noticed was that in Lush Life if I'm not mistaken you have had your piano tuned? Well maybe that was the second thing as the intro had indeed very dramatic chords! What a great number and so many different recordings.

Skylark and You Took Advantage of me are in my favourites list to listen to and play. You did them all proud.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Here are the first two of my April pieces. I cannot play the kind of jazz I've been hearing here lately but it has prompted me to try some blues.

Careless Love

Trouble In Mind

Ian

Last edited by Beemer; 04/03/19 12:46 PM. Reason: I had uploaded wrong version of trouble in mind

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Can someone confirm that they can open my two pieces without having to log in to box.com? I can do it from my desktop running Chrome browser, but my Android tablet is asking me to log in first.

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
J
jazztpt Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
It’s fine Ian. Will have a listen tomorrow.

Jazztpt

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Jazztpt,
thanks,
Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A
Here's another of the many great Rogers and Hart tunes - this one is from the 1937 hit Broadway musical "Babes in Arms", which was later made into a movie starring Mickey Rooney and Judy Garland.

Lorenz Hart was considered by many as one of the finest lyricists ever, some putting him in the same elevated class as Cole Porter. His lyrics were invariably witty and clever, as shown by this excerpt from "Valentine":

...Your looks are laughable, un-photographable
Yet you're my favorite work of art.

Is your figure less than Greek?
Is your mouth a little weak?
When you open it to speak
Are you smart?

My Funny Valentine

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
J
jazztpt Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
Beemer - two songs new to me , great relaxing listen for a Thursday afternoon with a cup of coffee. By the way you don't need to play any sort of jazz, just play what you want. cool

Jazztpt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,178
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission