2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
31 members (AlphaBravoCharlie, David B, djvu10, CyberGene, FloRi89, Evgeny 85, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 791 guests, and 461 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 148 of 276 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 275 276
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by arc7urus
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by llyw
It really is detracting from really enjoying the instrument, as i love the action and sound.

JoBert's calculation a few months ago indicated 41% of NV10 owners posting to this thread had reported an audio artifact. It appears as if Kawai is on the verge of a new software update which might have an effect. You should definitely carefully note the character of the issue now and in a few days after the update is released, see if it has changed anything.

There are no audio artifacts. Only audio features.

Oh sorry. I stand corrected. llyw only discovered a new old feature of his piano! smile

I was afraid that the N1X thread could eventually grow bigger than the NV10 thread.

Now why am I thinking the N1X thread won't ever beat this one? smile

On the other hand, there are not enough N1X owners yet. I'm still waiting for my local Yamaha dealer that has the N2 & N3X on their floor to get the N1X in so I can try it out. I figure it has to come soon since they now apparently sold the N1 which was on their floor. And as I noted in the N1X thread, 2 months after NAMM and Chrispy's CFX vs. Imperial comparison he posted to Youtube yesterday was the first Youtube video on the N1X from an independent (not dealer or manufacturer) - which is to say: it's early days yet for the N1X... still in honeymoon period!

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
So we have 3 confirmed N1X owners on these forums, how many NV10 owners do we have?

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
The N1X is 7.500 Euro. So, the NV10 seems to have too high a price tag. The damper mechanism, imo, is not worth the 17% difference to the N1X. In any case, these two companies are surely making a very hefty margin with all of these models, both acoustic and digital.

I'm sure that there is some margin that supports the business case for all of these digital/hybrid pianos, despite what many on this forum feel is warranted smile

But saying the the damper mechanism is all that separates the NV10 and NX1 is a bit disingenuous IMO, or at least a bit dismissive. Each has its own advantages and disadvantages, but knowing what the N1X features, and having played an N3X (in addition to the entire N1/2/3 range) while shopping, I don't have any regrets paying between an N2 and N3 for an NV10. Of course, I may just be subconsciously looking to affirm my own previous purchase decision, but I'm pretty happy with my choice so far smile

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chrispy
So we have 3 confirmed N1X owners on these forums, how many NV10 owners do we have?

JoBert counted/calculated this in mid-January 2019.

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Tyrone, I think you've become the unofficial PW archivist. Thanks smile

Now learning: Chopin C# minor Nocturne (posth), Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, R. Schumann Fantasy Dance, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Kawai ES110, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
I'm sure Kawai James will update this thread soon, but just in case anyone was interested, firmware 1.02g seems to have been updated to the Kawai-Global site here:

http://www.kawai-global.com/support/updates/#hybrid

I don't see a specific changelog, but it seems only the NV10_US.sys file has been updated (with a last-modified date of March 28, 2019). The CAx8Lapp.sys and CAx8Sapp.sys files included in the update are still dated Jan 8, 2018, so I won't be updating those.

I suspect the major issues addressed are:

1. Recording from favorites after using Concert Magic causes a loud audio buzz (I reported this)
2. Metronome volume creep when switching between Pianist and Sound modes (I reported this and others may have as well)
3. Kawai James mentioned it may have some kind of sound processing alteration to alleviate the buzzing heard through speakers?

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Wow Gombessa, you're fast!

I've literally just uploaded the update files (and re-downloaded to check that everything is okay), and came here to post some information, but you've beaten me too it! wink

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

Tyrone, I think you've become the unofficial PW archivist. Thanks smile

Memory like a garbage can. What can I say? The more useless the factoid, the more likely it will take root.

[Linked Image]

But anyway, yes...the v1.0.2g update for the NV10 is now online, so I encourage all NV10 customers to update their instruments.

As Gombessa notes, this update is for the system software only (the 1st stage explained in the included update instructions), therefore if your instrument is already using the v1.0.2 touchscreen software (as indicated at the bottom of the Settings menu), it is not necessary to follow the 2nd and 3rd stages of the update instructions.

This update improves/fixes the following points:

- Improved: Changes to sound processing parameters that may reduce distortion
- Fixed: Virtual Technician "Store to Sound" function could fail in some cases
- Fixed: Electric Piano key-off noise could stop sounding in some cases
- Fixed: Performing Concert Magic songs could result in "stuck" notes in some cases
- Fixed: Sound mode internal song recorder could store incorrect data in some cases
- Fixed: USB audio file playback could delay sound of played notes in some cases
- Fixed: Damper pedal events could not be detected in some cases
- Fixed: Strange sound could occur when switching from Concert Magic to Favorites screen and starting the recorder
- Fixed: Pianist mode recorder did not apply ambience level correctly
- Fixed: Gradual increase in metronome volume when alternating between Pianist mode and Sound mode

Please note that these v1.0.2g fixes also apply to the CA98/CA78 and ATX3/AURES instruments, for which a software update is also available. I may create a dedicated "v1.0.2g update" thread in the main forum to ensure that customers of those instruments are aware of the update.

Kind regards,
James
x

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Wow Gombessa, you're fast!

I swear I'm not sitting at home refreshing the site constantly (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

It just happened to be good timing since I knew the release was imminent smile

This update improves/fixes the following points:

- Improved: Changes to sound processing parameters that may reduce distortion
- Fixed: Virtual Technician "Store to Sound" function could fail in some cases
- Fixed: Electric Piano key-off noise could stop sounding in some cases
- Fixed: Performing Concert Magic songs could result in "stuck" notes in some cases
- Fixed: Sound mode internal song recorder could store incorrect data in some cases
- Fixed: USB audio file playback could delay sound of played notes in some cases
- Fixed: Damper pedal events could not be detected in some cases
- Fixed: Strange sound could occur when jumping from Concert Magic to Favorites screen and starting the recorder
- Fixed: Pianist mode recorder did not apply ambience level correctly
- Fixed: Gradual increase in metronome volume when alternating between Pianist mode and Sound mode

Thanks for the detailed CL, James! I've just applied the update and can confirm that the Concert Magic and metronome volume bugs seem to be fixed. Concert Magic in particular now exits when the Favorites tab is selected, the same behavior as when Pianist/Sound modes are selected.

I don't notice any difference in tone between 1.02f and 1.02g, but I made a simple recording of each and will listen to them in more detail later tonight. I don't experience the "buzzing" so I'm going to assume that the less difference I hear, the better smile

Originally Posted by Gombessa
I swear I'm not sitting at home refreshing the site constantly (that's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Lol. wink

Thanks for the detailed CL, James! I've just applied the update and can confirm that the Concert Magic and metronome volume bugs seem to be fixed. Concert Magic in particular now exits when the Favorites tab is selected, the same behavior as when Pianist/Sound modes are selected.

Thanks for confirming those points (and for reporting some of them too!).

I don't notice any difference in tone between 1.02f and 1.02g, but I made a simple recording of each and will listen to them in more detail later tonight. I don't experience the "buzzing" so I'm going to assume that the less difference I hear, the better smile

May I ask how you recorded the sound? I believe this change will only affect the speaker sound, not the USB audio sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

J
J
Thanks for the information. Obviously as soon as I read your (and Gombessa) post I tried... Unfortunatly it doesn't change my problem...
Too bad. I hoped that could be a simple and smart solution.

Hello jgbs,

Thank you for checking the latest software update.

To clarify, are you stating that you do not hear a change in the sound produced by the speakers?

Kind regards,
James
x

L
L
I have applied the update but am still experiencing the buzzing noise from left hand side :-(

J
J
As was entirly focusing on the buzzing sound, I did'nt give attention to the general sound.
I tried VT with mellow2 and high damper, but it just muffle a bit the sound but the buzz is always present in pianist mode as in sound mode.

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G

May I ask how you recorded the sound? I believe this change will only affect the speaker sound, not the USB audio sound.

Kind regards,
James
x

Ah, thanks for that, you saved me a few minutes since I did indeed record via USB.

L
L
I have applied the update but am still experiencing the buzzing noise from left hand side :-(

i have been scouring the thread again, trying out a couple more suggestions (e.g. light touch etc) and found the following which is exactly what I experience:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...wai-novus-nv10-hands-on.html#Post2749738

JoBert Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member

i have been scouring the thread again, trying out a couple more suggestions (e.g. light touch etc) and found the following which is exactly what I experience:

Your link is broken, I think you meant this:

If that is what you hear, then you have one of the defective NV10s. If I were you, I would get it exchanged for a new one (preferably one you have tested yourself) as a fix does not seem imminent.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: "Prélude (Opus 28, No. 4)" by Frédéric Chopin
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
As said, on Windows, you should use an ASIO driver. You should also try to reduce the buffer length : too high, too much latency, too low, too much risk of dropouts.

I have 128 sampled at 44100Hz which seems to be a good compromise, but some people are more sensitive about latency.

I tried this driver: http://www.kawaivpc.com/en/downloads/

Where can I change buffer settings etc?

A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by w3sp
Originally Posted by Frédéric L
As said, on Windows, you should use an ASIO driver. You should also try to reduce the buffer length : too high, too much latency, too low, too much risk of dropouts.

I have 128 sampled at 44100Hz which seems to be a good compromise, but some people are more sensitive about latency.

I tried this driver: http://www.kawaivpc.com/en/downloads/

Where can I change buffer settings etc?

You need the ASIO driver, not Kawai's driver. Get it here: http://www.asio4all.org/

Page 148 of 276 1 2 146 147 148 149 150 275 276

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,053
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission