2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
34 members (benkeys, Burkhard, fullerphoto, Erinmarriott, David Boyce, 20/20 Vision, Animisha, beeboss, Cominut, brennbaer, 3 invisible), 1,329 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 45 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 44 45
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Originally Posted by JoeT

Thumbs up for using microphones. This is the correct way to review digital pianos with built-in speakers. Only stage pianos should be recorded using their Line Outputs.

Line Out recordings on DPs with speakers are useful too. Just because a board has speakers, that doesn't mean that will be the main way someone hears their piano. Many more often use headphones or external amplification, even if they like also having the option of the built-in speakers sometimes.

In addition, the speakers point forwards on these, so what the microphones are recording may be nothing like what the player hears. This is one of the things that puts me off them for home use - I gather the idea in that instance is to place the keyboard close to a wall so that the sound reflects back, but …... However, I had a look at the manual and appears that they will put sound out to the headphones and the speakers at the same time.

regards
Pete
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Line Out recordings on DPs with speakers are useful too. Just because a board has speakers, that doesn't mean that will be the main way someone hears their piano.

It's in fact the main way how home users use their home piano, slab or furniture. That's the reason why they have built-in speakers. You can verify this on YouTube in numerous occasions.

Many more often use headphones or external amplification, even if they like also having the option of the built-in speakers sometimes.

The only thing a LINE recording proves, how well it does for a LINE recording. LINE OUT isn't relevant for headphones at all and it doesn't tell anything about external amplification as well. For that the specific external amplification needs to be recorded with microphones the same way.

Many digital pianos are reviewed in a highly deceptive way. Like recording their voltage through professional studio equipment and pretending that their shoddy speakers and headphone amps do not exist. So using microphones and recording the room is a step in the right direction.

Yamaha P-515
B
B
I love the value of this keyboard. One function not working for me however, is to silence the speakers. The manual informs that if you hit the function key, then F7, it turns off the external speakers. It does not. I haven't been able to turn off the speakers either by that function, by inserting headphones, or in the line out jack.

A
A
Originally Posted by butchkoch
I love the value of this keyboard. One function not working for me however, is to silence the speakers. The manual informs that if you hit the function key, then F7, it turns off the external speakers. It does not. I haven't been able to turn off the speakers either by that function, by inserting headphones, or in the line out jack.

On my PX-S1000, when plugging in a headphone (into either one of the two headphone jacks on the front), the speakers automatically turn off, and the sound is redirected through the headphone. This is the default behavior and I did not change any related settings.

When you plug in your headphones on yours, can you hear anything though the headphones? Maybe you can try doing a factory reset.

P
P

Thumbs up for using microphones. This is the correct way to review digital pianos with built-in speakers. Only stage pianos should be recorded using their Line Outputs.

Line Out recordings on DPs with speakers are useful too. Just because a board has speakers, that doesn't mean that will be the main way someone hears their piano. Many more often use headphones or external amplification, even if they like also having the option of the built-in speakers sometimes.

+1 to that! The only time I use the built-in speakers on any board is to perform at a small solo piano gig... it saves on bringing external amplification. There's only 2 types of users that I know of personally who use built-in speakers: 1) those who purchased the console type (furniture style) digital pianos with awesome sound systems built in, and 2) those in college dorms or other restrictive housing where space is a problem. Everyone else I know uses studio monitors for home, and PA's for live/band gigging.
Its a big "no no" to use speakers when doing any type of professional recording!

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
A
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
A
Line Out recordings on DPs with speakers are useful too. Just because a board has speakers, that doesn't mean that will be the main way someone hears their piano.

It's in fact the main way how home users use their home piano, slab or furniture. That's the reason why they have built-in speakers. You can verify this on YouTube in numerous occasions.

I don't see how Youtube can verify what percentage of people who have DPs with speakers primarily play the piano with those speakers. Certainly people who gig with them in a full band situation or who record with them don't. And there have been plenty of posts here from people who mostly use headphones (where, in fact, the ability to practice "silently" may have been a key motivation for buying a digital in the first place), as well as plenty of posts about people using small studio monitors to improve the sound of their slabs. I'm not saying it's a majority... I'm just saying that, even just from posts in his forum, you can tell it's not uncommon for people to use their pianos in ways where they are not relying on the internal speakers.

The only thing a LINE recording proves, how well it does for a LINE recording. LINE OUT isn't relevant for headphones at all and it doesn't tell anything about external amplification as well.

Line Out gives you a better idea of what the piano can sound like when not limited by its internal speakers. Of course, it is colored (as microphone-in-room recordings are as well) by the qualities of your own playback system. But if you're listening to the video through high quality reasonably flat headphones, a Line Out recording will give you an idea of what the piano will sound like when played through, well, a high quality reasonably flat playback system (whether headphones, studio monitors, or PA). It will certainly give you a closer representation of that than will listening to a recording of it it played through its own speakers (where, by the way, you also have variables like the characteristics of the room it was recorded in, the quality of the microphone, and as someone else mentioned, mic placement).

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ap215
+1 to that! The only time I use the built-in speakers on any board is to perform at a small solo piano gig... it saves on bringing external amplification. There's only 2 types of users that I know of personally who use built-in speakers: 1) those who purchased the console type (furniture style) digital pianos with awesome sound systems built in, and 2) those in college dorms or other restrictive housing where space is a problem. Everyone else I know uses studio monitors for home, and PA's for live/band gigging.

I've never seen studio monitors paired with a Casio at someone's home. A Casio doesn't do them justice anyway.

Its a big "no no" to use speakers when doing any type of professional recording!

It's about reviewing the digital piano as a whole including its speakers, not reviewing its professional recording abilities. These products are clearly aimed at amateurs with limited budget/space and not at gigging musicians.

Yamaha P-515
A
A
Hi all

I have had a second time playing the SX1000 in a shop. It is hard to review this in a large shop as the speakers on full volume are drowned out by the other instruments. It did not seem too different to my CDP 120.

I myself wouldn't buy it as an upgrade, it was an option before trying. The action is light ,and I had a chance to compare this with the FP-30 which also has a light action. it really did not help I played this AFTER playing on the high ends DPs.

The difference between these lower end DPs and the FP-90 is night and day. I am glad I was able to find a place having this range, as I know my next digital piano has to be something along the lines of an ES8, FP-90 or P515 (which i have yet to try).

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 03/31/19 06:54 PM.
P
P
Originally Posted by ahumdrumoflife

The action is light

Sounds to me like someone at the store changed the velocity (touch) settings to light. I did not find the action to be light unless you change the touch settings to light! That's the problem with store demo models.... unless you know how to change the settings, you think that that's the way it is! Even powering off/on doesn't always do it if someone set the keyboard to "resume" mode (resume from where it left off at last power-off).

www.PianoManChuck.com
Authorized Reseller of Casio, Dexibell, iLoud, Kurzweil, Nord, PreSonus, Viscount and more...
PianoManChuck on Youtube
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck

The action is light

Sounds to me like someone at the store changed the velocity (touch) settings to light. I did not find the action to be light unless you change the touch settings to light! That's the problem with store demo models.... unless you know how to change the settings, you think that that's the way it is! Even powering off/on doesn't always do it if someone set the keyboard to "resume" mode (resume from where it left off at last power-off).

PianoManChuck, Was the shorter pivot point very noticeable to you when playing near the fallboard?

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

PianoManChuck, Was the shorter pivot point very noticeable to you when playing near the fallboard?

Only if you're looking for it /expecting it. When I perform with it, its not really noticeable to me (but I can adjust to any keyboard in a matter of about 10 seconds since I've had to do that all of my life). If you played this immediately after playing something like a Kawai MP11 or Yamaha CP4, yes - you will definitely notice it!!
Best to get to your local retailer and try it.... and don't try to look for it... actually play something!

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
F
F
On Wednesday I am going to travel 260km to try out more expensive DPs. In the cheaper segment, unfortunately, there are no Casio Px-s1000 yet in this country, but I noticed they do have the Casio CDP S100/350, so I will try them. Could someone highlight if the keybed action of the CDP S100/350 is more or less the same as the Px-s1000?

Appreciated

@Chuck, I know you like the Kawai Vpc1, is the action on Vpc1 so much better than the Px-s1000, or is it neglectable?

A
A
Casio call the action on the S1000 as Smart Scaled Hammer. They don't say anything more than that.

Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action II was their older action. Maybe it is the same but renamed? i thin they would make a bigger song and dance if it was an actual new action.

For the first time, Casio’s Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard simulates the unique touch response of each individual key, delivering increased authenticity and a new level of playability. Simulated ebony and ivory textures on the keytops complete the playing experience.

Last edited by ahumdrumoflife; 03/31/19 08:08 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Casio call the action on the S1000 as Smart Scaled Hammer. They don't say anything more than that.

Tri-Sensor Scaled Hammer Action II was their older action. Maybe it is the same but renamed? i thin they would make a bigger song and dance if it was an actual new action.

For the first time, Casio’s Smart Scaled Hammer Action Keyboard simulates the unique touch response of each individual key, delivering increased authenticity and a new level of playability. Simulated ebony and ivory textures on the keytops complete the playing experience.

Maybe this is why I'm not in marketing, but I would have thought the word "smart" should imply something more? (i.e. "smart scaled" vs "scaled")
confused

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
ahumdrumoflife: according to Mike Martin (earlier in this thread), the new action is no longer tri-sensor.

Greg

P
P
Originally Posted by FlexHank

@Chuck, I know you like the Kawai Vpc1, is the action on Vpc1 so much better than the Px-s1000, or is it neglectable?

Apples & Oranges. Kawai VPC1 action has long wooden keysticks balanced on a fulcrum for a true(er) acoustic grand piano feel.
The PX-S1000 action is very good, but wouldn't come close... but then again it doesn't have a $2k price tag either (and that $2k only gets you the action... its a controller, with no sounds of its own).

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
P
P

It is a brand new action designed from scratch. Its not tri-sensor either, its technically two sensors, but the "smart" portion of it is software based... it doesn't need a third sensor. The way I understand it, it "senses" (software based) when a key is on its way up but re-struck before it gets to the top, so this can happen almost anywhere in the key's travel without having to come up past a 3rd (or middle) sensor. Almost makes a 3-sensor approach seem obsolete if they accomplished this... and so far, playing very fast repeated notes seems to work flawlessly (better than some 3-sensor actions I've played).

www.PianoManChuck.com
PianoManChuck on Youtube
F
F
Originally Posted by PianoManChuck

Apples & Oranges. Kawai VPC1 action has long wooden keysticks balanced on a fulcrum for a true(er) acoustic grand piano feel.
The PX-S1000 action is very good, but wouldn't come close... but then again it doesn't have a $2k price tag either (and that $2k only gets you the action... its a controller, with no sounds of its own).

Fair enough. I agree with you that a big part is personal, some actions are preferred by others, some not. But as you highlighted, the VPC1 is closer to real piano action, so technology also plays a big role in defining what is considered a real piano feel and action. Last question : I am also going to try out the Studiologic SL88 Grand on Wednesday. Would you rate the action on this SL88 as better (piano feel) than Casio Px-s1000, or similar?

Last edited by FlexHank; 04/01/19 03:18 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Last question : I am also going to try out the Studiologic SL88 Grand on Wednesday. Would you rate the action on this SL88 better (piano feel) better as Casio Px-s1000, or similar?

if you really are focused on action, why would you purposely choose a Fatar action?

[Linked Image]

F
F
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Last question : I am also going to try out the Studiologic SL88 Grand on Wednesday. Would you rate the action on this SL88 better (piano feel) better as Casio Px-s1000, or similar?

if you really are focused on action, why would you purposely choose a Fatar action?

Budget wise, and I want to feel it myself, but as there is no casio px-s1000 over here, all I can do is ask what people think.

Page 22 of 45 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 44 45

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,183
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission