2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (AlkansBookcase, Alex Hutor, AndyOnThePiano2, amc252, accordeur, antune, anotherscott, 12 invisible), 1,775 guests, and 302 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 29 of 108 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 107 108
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks TS! All of that information is useful. What are you using for a headphone amp and mixer? I could put the outputs from a mixer into my stereo and use the headphone out jack from my preamp and see how that sounds.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by LarryK
Today, I received the Yamaha P-515! It's nice, I am happy that I bought it.

I hooked up PianoMarvel to the new keyboard. The first time I tried PM, it would not recognize the keyboard. I rebooted my MacBook Pro and then it worked. Maybe it somehow remembered my old keyboard?

This happens all the time to me for my piano computer which is Win10Pro. Never been able to cure it. I usually just rebook my computer and it resolves it. A couple of times, I've had to reboot the DP too. I would be very interested if anyone found what is the cause of this or the "proper solution" that makes rebooting unnecessary since it is inconvenient and takes time. On the other hand, I usually leave my computer on all the time, and the typical time this happens for me is when I turn the DP off - say to clean the keys, for example.

I hooked up the sound output from the MacBook to the Aux Input on the P-515 using a 3.5mm jack. Everything works as before, but it seems to me that the PianoMarvel count in voice is kind of distorted. I don't believe I hear this distortion when listening to YouTube videos on the laptop. I tried turning the volume down on my laptop, but it does not seem to make a difference. Has anybody else noticed this? I don't think I hear distortion in the accompaniment.

I personally avoid by using a small mixing board that mixes the output of the piano with the output of my piano computer, and this is then fed to my headphone amp and headphones. I just figure that piano's amps were tuned for piano output. Why would I want to put voice through it?

I installed the trial version of Pianoteq 6 and I can see how that is going to be a lot of fun. I think I'll buy it. Am I right in assuming it is sending the sounds back through the USB cable or is it using the audio output?

I don't know about sending sounds back via USB. I suppose it is possible if one has the right drivers installed. In my case, the signal is sent via an audio output, and not so long ago, I got an external audio interface for the computer so that the ASIO driver would not block the audio channel from other apps using it (say PM, etc.). But I don't have P515. I believe the P515 has a special audio interface, so it may actually work via USB, as you suggested.

Do I need to turn off Local Control?

Yes.

Ok, I turned off Local Control so I can hear the sound generated by Pianoteq. The trouble is that the level is very low and I can't figure out how to boost it. There is probably an option in the keyboard menu somewhere. Any ideas?

Also, I unplugged the 3.5m jack from my MacBook Pro and I still got sound so it can send sound back through the USB cable to the keyboard. I went into the Settings app, Sound option, and Digital Piano shows up under sound outputs so that seems to be working fine.

I'm not too worried about the distortion in the count down voice, I was just checking to see if that problem showed up in other places.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The trouble is that the level is very low and I can't figure out how to boost it. There is probably an option in the keyboard menu somewhere. Any ideas?

This is probably some setting on the P515. Perhaps if you post to this thread here or start a new one on the digital forum? There are a number of P515 people there.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

Yes.

I don't

I have a Kawai CA67 and feed the output from Piano Marvel into a (separate) line in port on the CA67 which then mixes the sound from the piano with the incoming sound from PM. I mostly listen to the result through headphones connected directly to the piano.

Strangely I have never detected any problems with either distortion or latency.

I do have the benefit that the CA67 has a separate volume control for line in so I can mix the volumes how I want, not sure what the P515 might have

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
The trouble is that the level is very low and I can't figure out how to boost it. There is probably an option in the keyboard menu somewhere. Any ideas?

This is probably some setting on the P515. Perhaps if you post to this thread here or start a new one on the digital forum? There are a number of P515 people there.

I believe the only control over the output is from the Sound section in Settings on my Mac. I have it working ok now and was able to raise the levels.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by akc42

Yes.

I don't

I have a Kawai CA67 and feed the output from Piano Marvel into a (separate) line in port on the CA67 which then mixes the sound from the piano with the incoming sound from PM. I mostly listen to the result through headphones connected directly to the piano.

Strangely I have never detected any problems with either distortion or latency.

I do have the benefit that the CA67 has a separate volume control for line in so I can mix the volumes how I want, not sure what the P515 might have

I was using a separate 3.5mm cable from the headphone jack into a separate line in port, as you are doing, but I figured out that I don't need to do that. I can choose the Digital Piano/USB cable interface as the Sound output device from my Mac and all sound from the Mac goes through the keyboard. Pretty nifty. I guess this is a capability in a USB to Host interface.

As I mentioned above, I can change the level of sound output from the Mac side, and I have a main volume slider on the P-515. Pianoteq throws in their own volume slider and a dynamic range switch, I believe. There are lots of controls to play with.

I haven't detected latency, it was just the voice that seemed weird. Maybe I've stopped noticing it.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by akc42

Yes.

I don't

I don't believe you are using a VST, are you? LarryK has to turn off MIDI "Local Control", not because of his Piano Marvel, but because as an alternative he is using a VST, Pianoteq, as his sound generator instead of the built-in sound generator in his piano. Turning off the MIDI "Local Control" effectively turns his P515 into a MIDI Controller where the sound is generated on his computer instead of in the synthesizer/keyboard itself.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
I’m up and running with Pianoteq. Yes, Local Control needs to be turned off.

To start, I bought the Stage edition and chose the Blüthner and the Steinway Model B instrument packs. It’s fun to be able to change the sound. I own two standard scale classical guitars, one a cedar top and one a spruce top. I alternate between them, switching each day, to hear a different sound. I see myself doing the same sort of thing with Pianoteq.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/20/19 05:30 AM.
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Are these works:

"Kinderszenen" and "Album für die Jugend"

by Robert Schumann in PianoMarvel?

Somebody recommended these pieces for first year students.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
No, but there is Bela Bartok Mikrokosmos...also good for beginners. If you typ Schumann in the search /library, you find everything there is.

Piano Marvel level 4E and everything I like smile
Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
Thank you Eli smile
Now that I am no longer obliged to always get 100% in technique I fly true. Those 100% fetch was for me always more luck (by handicap) than knowledge. I'm really happy with that decision. And The crazy thing is, now all that stress (and pain) is falling off I sometimes get still 100%... That's so crazy.

Last edited by Sarah65; 03/24/19 05:44 AM.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sarah65
No, but there is Bela Bartok Mikrokosmos...also good for beginners. If you typ Schumann in the search /library, you find everything there is.

I’ve worked my way through the first sixteen exercises in volume I of Mikrokosmos. They’re cleverly difficult.

I did search for those Schumann pieces but didn’t find them. I only asked because I also searched for Mikrokosmos and didn’t find it but you nice people told me it was in there. Maybe I misspelled it. Perhaps I’ll send the Schumann pieces in to PM’s music editor.

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
You can also search at https://imslp.org/ but maybe you know that already smile

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Sarah65
You can also search at https://imslp.org/ but maybe you know that already smile

Yes, I know about that. smile The trouble is finding the time to write them in. It’s more convenient when they’re already in the library.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Perhaps I’ll send the Schumann pieces in to PM’s music editor.

Yes, do that! They are constantly adding new stuff, and anything out of copyright already is fair game for the library smile

[Linked Image]

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Perhaps I’ll send the Schumann pieces in to PM’s music editor.

Yes, do that! They are constantly adding new stuff, and anything out of copyright already is fair game for the library smile

Ok, I did, I sent them scans of the two books I mentioned. Perhaps they have a better way of getting the music in the library than my writing the pieces up with StaffPad.

Last edited by LarryK; 03/24/19 11:28 PM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I just got the following message from Piano Marvel:

3. Sight Reading Challenge in May! Be ready to help your students participate in a game changing 30 days that will help them become stellar sight readers. Do all of your students have an account set up so you will easily be able to track their progress?

I'll be interested to see how the Sight Reading Challenge works. I'll probably participate in this one given my underdeveloped sight reading skills.

[Linked Image]

Sarah65 Offline OP
OP Offline
I just got the following message from Piano Marvel:

3. Sight Reading Challenge in May! Be ready to help your students participate in a game changing 30 days that will help them become stellar sight readers. Do all of your students have an account set up so you will easily be able to track their progress?

I'll be interested to see how the Sight Reading Challenge works. I'll probably participate in this one given my underdeveloped sight reading skills.

I suppose it will be just SASR or a few new bootcamps... I don't expect much from it. smile

W
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
W
Sorry I did not read through this whole thread but does anyone know if I can listen to my piano and Piano Marvel on iPad through my headphones at the same time?

I have 2 headphone jacks on my Casio Privia PX-735 and when I have my headphones on, I cannot hear Piano Marvel. I am using a USB to iPad cable.

Thanks!

Kawai K500
Yes, you need a cable from the headphone jack on the iPad to the keyboard.

[Linked Image]

Alfred's Adult All-in-One, Book 1/2
Piano Marvel 4D

Page 29 of 108 1 2 27 28 29 30 31 107 108

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,248
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission