2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (AndyOnThePiano2, BillS728, 36251, anotherscott, Bellyman, brennbaer, busa, 11 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 237 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 236 237
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by CyberGene
On my mom's upright piano (which I grew up playing on) the hinges wouldn't hold the note rest tight, so when you close the fall-board the note rest would open and scratch against the keys. Which is why I was taught I must use the felt cover.

That's a really good point. More than half the U3s I've seen have that happen and it irks me every time I close the fallboard. Why not have some kind of lock/latch so it doesn't bang on the keys when it drops??

On the NU1X there was a very odd solution to that problem, however I don't have pictures to show it and not sure if I can describe it with words. Basically there was a small pin on the note rest (or on the fallboard, don't remember) and a corresponding hole on the fallboard this pin slide in, that create friction and holds the note rest closed. I had mixed feelings about that because the friction was too high to open/close the note rest, and the pin itself was kind of making it look non-symmetrical and touching the scores.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
On my mom's upright piano (which I grew up playing on) the hinges wouldn't hold the note rest tight, so when you close the fall-board the note rest would open and scratch against the keys. Which is why I was taught I must use the felt cover.

This can be fixed by squeezing the hinges a bit with pliers. After that the music rest stays up.

Yamaha P-515
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

On the NU1X there was a very odd solution to that problem, however I don't have pictures to show it and not sure if I can describe it with words. Basically there was a small pin on the note rest (or on the fallboard, don't remember) and a corresponding hole on the fallboard this pin slide in, that create friction and holds the note rest closed. I had mixed feelings about that because the friction was too high to open/close the note rest, and the pin itself was kind of making it look non-symmetrical and touching the scores.

Yep, I've seen that on the NU1, and I believe the U3s have them as well. The problem is that this doesn't solve the problem. If the music rest becomes so loose that it flops down when closing the fallboard, the pin will likely not hold it up (it will have lost its friction just as the hinge has).

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I learn something new here everyday. Now I know that the strip of red felt is for.

Thanks.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
So it turns out that the red cloth-like artifact is not symbolic, after all?
Can it double as a scarf if the circumstances demand it? grin

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David B
The polished ebony seems to magnify every particle of dust that rests on the piano.

You weren't kidding.

[Linked Image]

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
I wonder if the N1X would look good in satin black?

P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
Are we done here?
You know, the Novus ‘Hands on’ thread is at almost 3,000 posts, right?
So let’s get busy and start digging up issues and non-issues, quirks and idiosyncrasies, buzzes and hisses, pivot lengths and associated perceptions!
I’ve heard that the bass is somewhat lacking in the N1X; especially as it compares to the Novus.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pete14
Are we done here?
You know, the Novus ‘Hands on’ thread is at almost 3,000 posts, right?
So let’s get busy and start digging up issues and non-issues, quirks and idiosyncrasies, buzzes and hisses, pivot lengths and associated perceptions!
I’ve heard that the bass is somewhat lacking in the N1X; especially as it compares to the Novus.

If this thread stays short in the future, I would consider it a good thing based on the contents of that Novus thread! laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I’m out of state at a trade show this week so not playing with my instrument, just wishing I was. I plan on digging in when I get home. Maybe even get brave enough to take off a panel to see the action.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
If this thread stays short in the future, I would consider it a good thing based on the contents of that Novus thread! laugh

Lol, it would seem that way. But many of us are still over the moon with the NV-10, I know I am, despite having multiple bug reports sent to (and acted upon by) Kawai.

I'm sure the enjoyment will be the same with the N1X, and of course it would be very nice if you AG owners don't have to deal with the various growing pains of a new model/category/UI like some of your hybrid brethren have wink

All you N1X owners, keep those impressions, reviews and videos coming!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'm sure the enjoyment will be the same with the N1X, and of course it would be very nice if you AG owners don't have to deal with the various growing pains of a new model/category/UI like some of your hybrid brethren have wink

At least the user interface of the AvantGrand N1X series is the exact opposite of the Novus NV-10:

[Linked Image]

Remember this?

[img]https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-LUmC-pjm6sw/U_-fdg914iI/AAAAAAAADqA/tkBlfGKbkyY/s1600/401_075.bmp[/img]

Welcome to the 1980s! laugh

Yamaha P-515
A
arc Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by JoeT

At least the user interface of the AvantGrand N1X series is the exact opposite of the Novus NV-10...

Hardware and production theetings problems are somewhat expected on a new model. But developing flawed software to drive a basic GUI is not. The thing is that the Kawai GUI could be an impressive product differentiator... however, for that to happen Kawai needs to improve and revise it - and the improvements are not about "bug" corrections, but very deep changes to the overall UI design and functionality (rethinking the design and then developing a new GUI from scratch would be a good starting point). The problem is that the UI limitations are not even being acknowledged. So, if Kawai keeps this "you are holding it wrong" attitude, the GUI will be nothing else but a missed opportunity that will fail to show its potential superiority over archaic interfaces like the one on the N1X (that can be paired to an app btw).

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

On the plus side, when you start playing, the SSD's go completely black, not "backlit black." This has been a complaint about the NV10, and I suspect as this instrument is really geared to acoustic players, is a nod to that.

I will miss being able to easily make changes to the tone like I could with the CLP-685, but as noted, I can do it on my phone (though not through bluetooth, which is annoying, I need either a cable or wifi adapter.)

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

At least the user interface of the AvantGrand N1X series is the exact opposite of the Novus NV-10:

Remember this?

I believe the idea is that a real GUI for the N1X is being provided via a phone/tablet interface.

Originally Posted by squidbot
I will miss being able to easily make changes to the tone like I could with the CLP-685, but as noted, I can do it on my phone (though not through bluetooth, which is annoying, I need either a cable or wifi adapter.)

Are you saying that the N1X does not support bluetooth connection to a phone/tablet? I thought that's what was added in the N1X over the N1.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G

Oh, I see that nearly every day smile

[Linked Image]

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
[quote=Gombessa]
Are you saying that the N1X does not support bluetooth connection to a phone/tablet? I thought that's what was added in the N1X over the N1.

This is the one thing I found annoying about the NU1X, the need to get a separate Wi-Fi adapter. Anything designed and built in the last few years should have all wireless connectivity built in. If some markets prohibit it the. available at a low price.

Last edited by oneilt130; 03/19/19 07:43 PM.

Yamaha NU1X, Sennheiser HD 599 headphones, PianoTeq Studio Steinway Model D and Petrof instrument packs
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Speaking for the NU1X I think the interface is fine and I like the minimalist approach. Of course I pretty much just turn it on an start playing. I rarely change the settings and if its more than the piano voice or reverb I use the app. I think the Avante Grand series is geared towards those who treat it more like an acoustic piano with headphones.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member

Though it supports a bluetooth connection, it's only for audio playback from a device over the piano. There's no bluetooth midi support (and I could be wrong, but I don't think any Yamaha DP's support bluetooth midi yet.) So honestly, IMHO, the bluetooth support is pretty useless. I connected my phone to my CLP-685 a couple of times for novelty, but it really serves no purpose for me to listen to music through my piano speakers.

This pdf covers the way you can connect to a "smart device": https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/6/725646/iphone_ipad_connect_en_om_j0.pdf

There were other additions from the N1 however, the modern sound engine and the USB audio interface not the least among them.

Last edited by squidbot; 03/20/19 01:42 AM.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
TBH, I never bothered playing around with the menu on my NU1X, I rarely even changed voices. I simply turned on the piano and played. And BTW the reverb button has a LED next to it which is lit by default and I would have preferred if nothing was visible there. While I can certainly understand how a fancy touchscreen interface is the norm nowadays and I agree with that, I would personally prefer even more concealed approach as on the N3X where the panel is hidden beneath the piano. These are premium pianos meant to replace a grand piano and I don’t see them needing any complicated interface at all. The less, the better IMO.

I'm not around. You can find me here
My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Yamaha N1X, Cybrid DIY hybrid controller
Page 6 of 237 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,387
Posts3,349,212
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission