2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Barly, 1957, btcomm, brennbaer, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, 14 invisible), 1,917 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 237 1 2 3 4 236 237
P
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
P
David, it’s good to know that your VST sounds good through the on-board speakers.
Since trading my LX-17 for a P-515 (exclusively running Pianoteq), I do not believe that I’ll ever return back to playing on-board sounds; be it sampled or physically modeled. For me, it’s VST all the way; I digress.
The N1X is an excellent choice, and if I had the opportunity I’d pick it over the N2 in a heartbeat.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
You could add a small mixer into your computer cabinet rather than the passive splitter. Something like this: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-802-Input-Bus-Mixer/dp/B000J5XS3C

That would give you control of the relative volumes of the internal and external speakers, as well as a basic 3-band EQ, which will help balance the sound further.

Kawai CA95 / Steinberg UR22 / Sony MDR-7506 / Pianoteq Stage + Grotrian, Bluethner / Galaxy Vintage D / CFX Lite
In the loft: Roland FP3 / Tannoy Reveal Active / K&M 18810
M
M
Impressive... It is evident this is important for you.
I have noticed two benches, do you plan to play four hands?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Congratulations to your new hybrid piano. Nice playing, sounds great.

If possible I would like to listen to some recordings of the room with he built-in sound through the speakers.

Yamaha P-515
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by lolatu
You could add a small mixer into your computer cabinet rather than the passive splitter.

I actually have a small Mackie mixer (it's about 13 years old) that could do the job. I wish the N1X had a separate line out volume control like my MP11SE had.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by David B
I wish the N1X had a separate line out volume control like my MP11SE had.

Be careful what you wish for! There was just some excoriating on here a few days ago because a DP *dared* to have a way to control line out volume in the first place!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
G
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
G
For some, the form factor will surely evoke the square grand of the 1800's smile

What do snowflakes and Chickerings have in common? There are no two exactly alike!
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
David congratulations and I hope it brings you much pleasure, and a nice demo. thumb

FWIW, in terms of balancing loudness between the KRKs and the piano speakers, you do have dials on the back of the KRKs, however, if the piano speaker are already too loud this will no help much, you can go to +6 dB , but may get clipping, the other way round you can always turn down the KRKs as much as you need, they have a fair amount of range to play with, down to -30dB, the default setting is 0 dB.

Selftaught since June 2014.
Books: Barratt classic piano course bk 1,2,3. Humphries Piano handbook, various...
Kawai CA78, Casio AP450 & software pianos.
[Linked Image] 12x ABF recitals.
My struggles: https://soundcloud.com/alexander-borro
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Using Midi Monitor I noticed that there is an "Aftertouch" before the final note off value of 64 (provided you don't release the key quickly). It will range from 31 to 20 depending on how slowly you allow the key to raise. Here is a screen shot with the values representing a slow lift. I believe I can hear this effect with both the internal sounds and my VST's (VSL/Pianoteq).

[Linked Image]

My MP11SE registered no aftertouch, but it did register different note-off values.

Something else that's different from the MP11SE is the active sensor reading. If I don't play any keys Midi Monitor registers a continual string of Active sense readings.

[Linked Image]

I can filter that reading out through midi monitor, but nevertheless, it's different from my Kawai.

So I think the key sensor on the N1X does help with expression for both internal sounds and VST's provided they have key off samples.

God Bless,
David

G
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
G
Using Midi Monitor I noticed that there is an "Aftertouch" before the final note off value of 64 (provided you don't release the key quickly). It will range from 31 to 20 depending on how slowly you allow the key to raise.
So I think the key sensor on the N1X does help with expression for both internal sounds and VST's provided they have key off samples.

I think Cybergene recent explained how this most likely works--the AvantGrands will start to process key-off before the key or fully lifted, suggesting that there can be a different tone if you hold the damper just over/on the string without fully lifting the key. The aftertouch mechanism allows you to get that effect whereas note-off will only trigger once the key is fully lifted.

A good demonstration of the extreme lengths Yamaha goes to precisely replicate the sound of a real piano in their AvantGrands. It's virtually no-compromise.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV10
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by mydp

I have noticed two benches, do you plan to play four hands?

The bench against the wall is the one that came with the N1X. It's an adjustable bench. I left it there for my son to use since he's taking piano lessons now. I figured it might be easier to swap benches every time we play rather than adjusting the same bench up and down every time.

I would really like to get a hydraulic bench for the ease of use, but I can't justify the cost right now.

God Bless,
David

H
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
H
I’m wondering how the audio interface help to play using the onboard speakers. If I’m using VST, I can also use a dedicated audio interface and output the audio to the line in of the DP right? I think it achieves the same purpose.

Piano: 1982 NY Steinway Model B, Yamaha AvantGrand N3X
VST(preference in order): VSL Synchron Pianos, Vienna Imperial, Garritan CFX, VI Labs Modern U, Ivory II American Concert D, Pianoteq
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Gombessa

A good demonstration of the extreme lengths Yamaha goes to precisely replicate the sound of a real piano in their AvantGrands. It's virtually no-compromise.

That's encouraging. It should help with buyer's remorse. Actually, I was not tentative, apprehensive, reluctant, or timid at all about this purchase. I'm very thrilled with the prospect of playing this piano. I've amassed a firearms collection over the years that I'll be selling off to pay for the N1X. It actually feels good to trade the old hobby for this new one.

I'll keep a few firearms for practical purposes (I live in the country), but there is no reason to let them sit in the safe unused when the N1X can be used everyday. Plus, I don't have to worry about my hearing, lead contamination, or spending money every time I pull the trigger.

There is a onetime purchase with the piano (and some educational materials) and the rest it just time on the bench.

Well, maybe not a onetime purchase. I started out with a Yamaha DGX 650, sold that for a Kawai ES100, sold that for a ES8, sold that for a MP11SE, and finally sold that for the N1X. I think I'm done buying pianos. crazy

God Bless,
David

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

Well, maybe not a onetime purchase. I started out with a Yamaha DGX 650, sold that for a Kawai ES100, sold that for a ES8, sold that for a MP11SE, and finally sold that for the N1X. I think I'm done buying pianos. crazy

Don't worry, you just got started on your grand piano collection. wink

Yamaha P-515
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member

There is a onetime purchase with the piano (and some educational materials) and the rest it just time on the bench.

I don't have a crystal ball, but I think it will be a long time before you want to replace your N1X with any other digital. The old N1 is still perfectly up to date for those who use it as a controller.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Congrats David, thank you for sharing the unboxing pictures and performance.

The rug definitely improves the atmosphere of the room too!

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
D
David B Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Harpuia
I’m wondering how the audio interface help to play using the onboard speakers. If I’m using VST, I can also use a dedicated audio interface and output the audio to the line in of the DP right? I think it achieves the same purpose.

That's correct. However, you run the risk of unwanted noise (e.g., buzz or ground loop, etc.) The AdvantGrand audio interface eliminates that possibility by keeping it digital.

The Aux input was a problem for me when I tried the NV10. I got an annoying buzz when I plugged my computer into it at the dealers. I'm sure I could have found a solution at home, but the built in audio interface on the N1X is pretty much plug and play.

God Bless,
David

D
D
Did anyone already mention that your rug is very nice? It really ties the room together.

-------------------
Erard, NV10
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by dohnjoy
Did anyone already mention that your rug is very nice? It really ties the room together.

I could just rattle on about that rug myself, including how it's positioned and the colors which transition toward warmth in the center but then are almost inexplicably extinguished by the black neutral center. Oops. That was already a few more words than this thread should get! laugh

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Harpuia

It's way easier to use because you just need one USB cable and thats all. On the Novus it was pain in the ass to use the line in, especially when using the internal headphone jacks of the instrument. The sound quality got worse and partially mono instead of stereo. With the build in audio interface on the Yamaha (NU1X in my case) all issues disappeared. I got also better latency results.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
Page 2 of 237 1 2 3 4 236 237

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission