2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
74 members (20/20 Vision, brdwyguy, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,925 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
A few more …

10. Sandalholme - Lyric pieces Op12 Nos 4 - 7 These Grieg pieces are fun and the harmonies are very interesting. Nice choices, nicely played!

11. zsolpyW - Hexameron variation no.6 Wonderful to hear this music that is new to me and yet has a familiar “flavor.” You played it with heart.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1 Thank you for sharing this lovely “not so difficult” nocturne.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12) Very enjoyable piece! It makes me picture a group of cyclists on a summer day, cruising along a lakefront road in the distance. For some reason I picture a lake in upstate NY, which is not a place I ever actually rode a bike!

14. Peyton - Questa Notte I think this is my favorite of the Einaudi pieces I have heard on PW, especially the first couple of minutes when it has a gentle ambling feel. Thanks for sharing it!

15. Riddler (Ed) - Naima First-rate. I want to listen to this over and over.

Estonia 168 (she sings!), Kawaii Es-110 for late-night practice.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Qwerty53

22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min Soulful piece, soulfully played. And from memory! Beautiful. Imagine how it will sound on that new piano!

Funny - I played it this evening! Only it’s slipping from memory a little (the recording was in December). frown. Gotta refresh it.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
CMB13 did you play it on the new piano?! And just how gorgeous did it sound?!

Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
56. Sam Rose - Prelude in C# Minor A delight for the eyes as well as the ears with that magnificent ‘beast’ of yours! ‘Awesome’ is the nearest I can get to describing your performance.

57. Pathbreaker - Nocturne Op. 84 no. 8 What a beautiful piece of music, and what a masterful rendition. A treat - thank you!

58. stumbler / Dave - Miss H. Wauchope's Favorite There’s a haunting flavour to this which I love. Really nice - I’m glad you made the deadline!

59. Ralphiano - Sull' Aria Delicate handling of a very pretty piece - a lovely finale to an excellent Recital.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]Quarterly recitals from #38

My Yamaha C3 and Kawai ES110 with Pianoteq: the best of both worlds?
T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia
42. thepianoplayer416 - Sarabande from Keyboard Suite in D minor HWV437
Well played, and great to hear some Händel in this world that generally neglects him in favour of Bach.

Although JS Bach & Händel was born in the same year (1685) in the same region of eastern Germany, Bach's name comes out more prominently in recent years. His music has become default repertoire for leaning counterpoint (polyphonic music involving 2 or more melodies). From the early years of learning many people would have played "Minuet in G" from the Notebook for Anna M. attributed to Bach. In recent years the piece is attributed to Christian Petzold. For more advanced students the Bach Inventions and the Well-Tempered Clavier starting from the Prelude. And then there are Preludes & Fugues for those who love a good challenge. Bach composed 1080 different collection of pieces and his repertoire is everywhere.

The music of Händel is less complicated and more approachable for a listener. He made a name for himself mainly in England. A lot of his music was influenced by Italian Baroque composers of the time like A. Corelli.

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
Catching up on my listening!

16. Kalos Piano - Turkish March Love those brisk gallops up and down the keyboard! Well played.

17. peterws - Coming Home Quite a contrast with Kalos’s Mozart that I just heard! Very peaceful feel to this music. I liked the music and I liked the waves. Ahhhhh…..

18. timmyab - Moments Musicaux no 4 Lovely! I immediately want to listen to it again.

19. facdo - Clair de Lune You played this so beautifully, and it was fascinating watching your hands from above as you played those arpeggios. No nervousness detected!

500 Post Club Member

500 Post Club Member
With these, I complete my listening and commenting. I want to thank the organizers who make it so easy and transparent both for those who contribute their performances (not me, this time, but last time, and next time too I hope!) and for those of us who use the Template for responding and the various options for listening.

01. Jerzyk19 - Prelude Op.28 No.13 in F sharp major
Gentle ringing sound; what a beautiful piece! It makes me want to play this; maybe someday. You played with great sensitivity and feeling. This was worth your sustained work!

02. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No.2 These are such lovely, gentle pieces, and it is a pleasure to hear no. 2, which you play so well.

03. EdmondRhapsody - Air on the G String I love this melody and you found a very nice arrangement. (I think I would like it better without the strings which, unlike the piano, sound a bit synthetic.) You played it with stately grace; nice work!

04. PianogrlNW - Graceful Ghost Rag Beautifully played. Love the gentle wit and wistfulness. The more I hear of Bolcom, the more I want to explore (he even wrote beginner pieces). Regional pride leads me to point out that the composer was born in Seattle.

05. Ted Jones - Improvisations on original tunes Very enjoyable; I liked both sections, and it was interesting to hear what you did with the themes of each.

06. Keselo - Valse Sounds like a waltz to me! Thanks for bringing in this unfamiliar composer. Nicely played!

07. Animisha - Gefuhl der Wehmuth Short, sweet, and you played it well!

08. sinophilia - German Dance D783 no. 5 I can see the dancers! Nice work.

09. Claudemir Medeiros - Schumann op 68 n 30 Ah . . . one of my favorites from Opus 68. Thank you for playing it so beautifully!

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Qwerty53

05. Ted Jones - Improvisations on original tunes Very enjoyable; I liked both sections, and it was interesting to hear what you did with the themes of each.

Thanks for listening. I thought I would post something conventional this time for a change.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
S
S

A few more comments.

32. Handyman - Return to the Heart
This is lovely. My only wish is that some of the forte passages were a bit less forte. The melody tones become too harsh for the mood of the piece. That said, I wasn't familiar with this work and enjoyed listening.

45. Ganddalf - Rondo, third movement from Sonata Op.14.1
Well done. Your playing sounds very authentic to my ear, true to the piece.

12. Pianist685 Constantin - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1
Easy to play you say? A agree that it sounds approachable, but those grace runs are scary.

25. Ralph L - still loving you
I don't want all classical! Thanks for something different.

38. Serge88 - Something
Some Beatles goes down well tool. A solid performance.

51. akc42/Alan Chandler - Chopin Nocturne Op 9 No 2
Beautiful piece. This is really good for only a couple of months. Very listenable.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
S
S

Balezin Dmitry, QuasiUnaFantasia, Qwerty53, MarieJ - thank you all for your responses.

Roland RD-700NX

[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I 've left comments on all your YouTube videos. Great job to all:

19. facdo - Clair de Lune
21. Moo smile - Brahms Intermezzo B flat minor Opus 117-2
22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min
24. Purrblast - Minuet in g minor (BWV 842)
25. Ralph L - still loving you

26. Monica K. - Stella del Mattino

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada
31. Sam S - Piano Sonata 12 - first movement
35. lyricmudra - Vocalise Op. 34 No. 14
38. Serge88 - Something

YouTube Channel
Scott Joplin Repertoire

Music washes away from the soul
the dust of everyday life.
- Berthold Auerbach

[Linked Image]
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
10. Sandalholme - Lyric pieces Op12 Nos 4 - 7
I think that your first attempt with Grieg was quite successful. You captured much of the “Norwegian” character of this music. Op.12 consists of short pieces, but although the later albums of Lyric pieces are more extensive, these small compositions are rather tricky. I hope that you’ll try more of them later. I suggest Op.43 which contains some short and rather easy pieces along with a couple of more difficult ones.

11. zsolpyW - Hexameron variation no.6
Although I never heard this piece before I can hear that it is quite difficult challenging. Particularly the voicing requires great skills, and the legato in the accompaniment isn’t easy at all. What I liked best with your performance were the dynamics. And I appreciate very much that you presented this composition here.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1
This nocturne is one of the pieces I most often play for my own pleasure. Your performance is very good, and I enjoyed listening to your interpretation. Perhaps it is not the most complex of Chopin’s compositions, but still I consider it a masterpiece.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12)
Another piece that is completely new to me – as well as the composer, of course. I find the piece exiting enough. A short barcarolle-like piece with some exiting harmonies. You play very smoothly and with no mistakes as far as I could hear. I enjoyed your performance.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Pianist685
42 Thepianoplayer416 - Haendel Sarabande This is one of the great compositions of Baroque music. Nice rendition, but I was so disappointed that you are not playing the two following variations…

Due to a busy schedule during the December break and into January, I didn't have time to practice a substantial piano piece. 3 days before the submission deadline for Recital #53, I found a piece out of the Adult Piano Adventures Classics book that can be perfected in a short time.

After posting the simplified arrangement of the Sarabande, a new version with Var. 1 & 2 has been uploaded a week later. You will also find the link to the new video in the comment section of the original video submitted:
Sarabande from Keyboard Suite in D minor HWV437 - GF Handel (full version)

Thank you for all the positive feedback.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
31 Sam S

Loved the piano, it has real soul and Beethoven sounds so well on it. Takes me back to when i had a vintage grand myself. Difficult to explain; the smell, the history, the sense of the people who made it, played it, loved it. This is a long complex tune. Well done on it!

32 Handyman

I wouldn't label this as new age, but . . .what do I know? Just sounded right nice on your Clav.

33 Dumbka1

Mendelssohn is a favourite of many, so you can't go wrong. extensively played in churches (I did this there) it has that feelgood factor, prevalent in so much of his stuff. Your music too, has that and it was very enjoyable.

34 Dmitry Balezin

Some interesting dtuff in there, well worth a listen. You played it steady and forcefully when called for. Good job!

35 LyricMudra

Ohh! What's not to like? Very well played atmospheric piece here which evokes feelings. . . .

36 Quasi Una fantasia

Nice job, peaceful, steady, mellow sounding. You did very well. Enjoyed it so much.

37 AssociateX

3 weeks of profitable work. A rollicking little song, to put a smile on most faces. Nice!

38 Serge88

I remember this well; Shirley Bassey sang it too, and made a fine job of it. Good work, man. And you have my woolly hat on . . .

39 Mossotti

Hope I don't catch your cold . . . this piece is way ahead of it's time, and you play it beautifully.

40 Greywullf

I like this Chopin piece. You do a great job, lovely dynamics and plenty of expression, and I hope you laddo enjoyed it too!

Well, guys, I'm writing this stuff out as fast as I can . . clip clop clip clop (phew, gasps for breath) See ya soon!

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
01. Jerzyk19 - Prelude Op.28 No.13 in F sharp major well projected tone. flawless play.

02. MarieJ - Gymnopedie No.2 I definitely heard the varying dynamics. Well done.

12. Pianist685 (Constantin) - Nocturne Op. 37 No. 1 fluent and Expressive. Also liked the sound of the recording too. Added this piece to my to learn list.

13. BSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - On The Lake (Op. 77, No. 12) hear this piece and composer for the first time. Thanks for introducing them.

14. Peyton - Questa Notte after hearing the first few notes, I thought it might be Einuadi. It turned out it was:) Really enjoyed your performance.

22. cmb13 - Craig - Nocturne 20, C# min I didn't hear any flaw. Given its a 5-min long piece and your years of experience, I thought it was impressive!

26. Monica K. - Stella del Mattino a pretty fast piece, I thought you played pretty fluently. Liked it.

27. Jason Lenthe - Granada that was very vivid and Expressive. Loved it.

28. RogerRL - Preludio - Suite del Plata No. 1 liked this piano version. Interesting that some pieces written for other instruments can sound so good on piano.

34. Dmitry Balezin - Requiem for a dream for only 2 years experience, I thought u did a great job. Pretty accurate recording for a piece neither short nor slow. I did notice there was less variation of dynamics in the middle, perhaps too busy maintaining the right notes:) overall well done.

41. SMA55 (Shepherd) - Intermezzo in A major Op 118 No 2 in spite of the errors, it is still a very enjoyable performance!

44. jotur/Cathy Turnr - White Christmas made me look forward to the next christmas already:)

48. CebuKid (Herb) - The Lonely Man, Theme from Incredible Hulk must be very fulfilling to finally do the piece you like, isn't it! Hope u had fun playing. I noticed some notes you that u used lots of force. Not sure if there are other ways to express? Thanks for sharing this tv series piece, and added a different flavor to this recital.

49. Piano_primo_1 - BWV 512 JS BACH that's a nice choice of submission for a busy period, u enjoyed playing and i enjoyed listening.

55. noobpianist90 - Divenire enjoyed listening. Liked the string backing too.

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Pianist685, QuasiUna Fantasia, Qwerty53 and Gandalf, many thanks for your comments. Re reverb, this seems to be a common wish. I am currently experimenting with using a Samplicity IR (mediumdark room) which I think may be good: it not only improves the sustaining of a singing tone but also brings the sound nearer to that of an acoustic. Gandalf: I am relieved that my playing had at least some element of Norwegianess about it. Thanks for the challenge, I enjoyed discovering Grieg and will continue to do so.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
04. PianogrlNW - Graceful Ghost Rag

This time I decided to make an in-depth comment to your performances made over a period of several years. First a little about the Graceful Ghost Rag. It was a very nice and harmonically rich composition and very enjoyable to listen to. You play the music with fluency and good dynamics, and it is obvious to me that this is music that is close to your heart.

Then I went back to the recital index and revisited some of your previous performances. You have very good reason to be proud of your technique. It is very hard to hear any flaws and slips in your playing, and you always keep good and steady tempo.

Although your choices of music spans from Bach to Poulenc I get a feeling that you favour pieces with big chords. Like the Poulenc improvisation and the Rachmaninoff prelude. But you also master beautifully the polyphonic character of the Bach Aria from the Goldberg Variations. I noticed particularly the embellishments in the lower and middle voices – very nice.

Somehow, I get a feeling that I have been somehow influenced by your musical taste. I caught interest in your performance of the Poulenc Novelette when I heard your performance of it, and some time ago I used it myself during a live performance with French music. I’m growing more and more fond of Poulenc thanks to your “introduction”. I’m also sharing your interest in Spanish music and for me this is something new. I think your performance of the Malaguena of Albeniz was very beautiful.

I use to present a challenge for those who get my longer comments here. It is up to you if you want to follow my suggestion. I noticed that you never presented a piece from by Mozart and Haydn. But with your technique I think you would be able to perform a sonata movement or something else some time. There are so many delicate pieces by these composers that I really think you would play beautifully.

Originally Posted by peterws

32 Handyman

I wouldn't label this as new age, but . . .what do I know? Just sounded right nice on your Clav.

Thanks much - I wouldn't call it New Age either - every Age is a New Age and who knows where the Old Age ends and the latest New Age begins - it's all very fluid and indeterminate...even Contemporary Piano Instrumental is far too flexible and non-precise...who knows?

Just wondering in what County/town you reside there in Northern England...we've been watching the entertaining and informative BBC show "Escape to the Country" on the streaming service Britbox for awhile and have seen much of the beautiful landscapes & villages in the various Regions/Counties of rural England...

John

"Difficulties deferred and challenges unmet will eventually return with a vengeance to bite one in the butt." (paraphrasing Chopin)
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Ganddalf
04. PianogrlNW - Graceful Ghost Rag

This time I decided to make an in-depth comment to your performances made over a period of several years. First a little about the Graceful Ghost Rag. It was a very nice and harmonically rich composition and very enjoyable to listen to. You play the music with fluency and good dynamics, and it is obvious to me that this is music that is close to your heart.

Then I went back to the recital index and revisited some of your previous performances. You have very good reason to be proud of your technique. It is very hard to hear any flaws and slips in your playing, and you always keep good and steady tempo.

Although your choices of music spans from Bach to Poulenc I get a feeling that you favour pieces with big chords. Like the Poulenc improvisation and the Rachmaninoff prelude. But you also master beautifully the polyphonic character of the Bach Aria from the Goldberg Variations. I noticed particularly the embellishments in the lower and middle voices – very nice.

Somehow, I get a feeling that I have been somehow influenced by your musical taste. I caught interest in your performance of the Poulenc Novelette when I heard your performance of it, and some time ago I used it myself during a live performance with French music. I’m growing more and more fond of Poulenc thanks to your “introduction”. I’m also sharing your interest in Spanish music and for me this is something new. I think your performance of the Malaguena of Albeniz was very beautiful.

I use to present a challenge for those who get my longer comments here. It is up to you if you want to follow my suggestion. I noticed that you never presented a piece from by Mozart and Haydn. But with your technique I think you would be able to perform a sonata movement or something else some time. There are so many delicate pieces by these composers that I really think you would play beautifully.

What a nice, well thought out comment! Ellen's playing is indeed excellent; I only lack the experience to comment as well as you have, in a specific manner, but I'm also a fan! From the Milonga del Angel, to the Chopin Nocturne, to this piece. This post might prompt me to listen to her earlier pieces as well.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
Ganddalf and cmb13 What a nice surprise to wake up to! Thank you for the generous comments and spending the time to carefully listen to my recital pieces. I don’t know quite what to say as there are so many of you on ABF who are more musical than I am. And not just advanced players. There are many talented beginner and intermediate players too.

And now you have caught me red-handed. Yes, I avoid Haydn and Mozart, Handel too. In fact I have never played anything by Haydn or Handel in my life. I learned a Mozart sonata several years ago and the verdict from the teacher was my performance was as dry as a science lab report. I don’t think I was completely crushed, and even thought her comment was funny and spot on, but I haven’t played a note of Mozart since.

But I do accept your challenge, Ganddalf. Do you have a piece to suggest?

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission