2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (bobrunyan, anotherscott, AlphaTerminus, accordeur, benj.ma, ambrozy, 36251, alexii, 14 invisible), 1,098 guests, and 449 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2817960 02/20/19 01:52 PM
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Just got a new piano!

Steinway A3, 1917, Restored by Del Fandrich

I have been browsing ads over the past few years, contemplating buying a grand piano. Nothing good ever really seems to pop up around here. I have also had my ear to the ground in the community. I have a Boston Upright, 118, and figured it's great, I Iove it, and no need to upgrade; however, if the right opportunity came along, I might jump at it.

As I have been learning to play, I periodically stop in a piano store.The grands I have seen have been nice, sound good, look beautiful, etc. But nothing ever really filled me with a strong desire to make a purchase. Then one day, I happened upon Faust Harrison in NY. Truth is I was looking at a Charles Walter upright in Beethoven's, right next door, which I didn't buy, but that was around the time I bought the Boston upright. Anyway, back to Faust Harrison, they had some really nicely rebuilt Golden Age Steinways. I played around a little, but being a beginner, or possibly advanced beginner, my musicality was limited.

The salesman there asked if I'd like to hear him play. He was a young graduate of a music school, trying to make it as a professional pianist. He played something, possibly a Chopin Nocturne or a Schubert piece, I don't remember which, but it was sooo beautiful, so clear, singing, precise, resonant - I couldn't believe it. I didn't know a piano could sound that good. Maybe it was the excellent restoration, maybe it was his musicianship, I don't know, but it definitely blew me away.

I thought that if I ever got a grand piano, to get one at (what I consider) a reasonable price point, I'd look for a golden age Steinway, possibly an M but maybe an O/L if I could swing it. Even these, at places like Faust Harrison, can go for over $45-50k. For now, while learning, I'd pick up an upright and if stuck with it for long enough, with enough commitment, revisit the idea.

Fast forward a few years, I've been playing about 1.5-2 hrs / day, have learned a lot, and definitely am sticking with it. This ad popped up for a restored Steinway A. It was in Miami, an hour away, so I figured I'd take a look. It was restored by Del Fandrich, who is known and widely respected by many on the forum and in the piano community nationally, if not internationally.

I went to Miami the day before New Years. I played it but initially was not blown away. First of all, it was dark in the guys living room, with dim lighting and I couldn't see well. Second, my ears were clogged and I couldn't hear that well. Third, lacking experience, I just didn't know how to really play it well. So I thanked him and moved on. The seller then called me back about 3 weeks later, told me he would reduce the price by about 25%. I figured it was worth another shot, this time with clean ears and with my piano technician along for the ride. I called Del, who was nice enough to speak with me about the piano (twice, actually); he remembered this one clearly and thought it was a very nice instrument.

I went back that weekend and played it again, and liked it a lot more. First of all, my clogged ears were unclogged. Next, while at I first played it softly like I play my Boston upright, which is fairly loud and bright, I began playing the Steinway a lot more forcefully and powerfully, and it began to shine a lot more. The bass was deeper and sustained, the treble rang more sonorously. It really sounded much more dramatic. Bottom line, I think that there's a learning curve on changing from one piano to another that I lacked the experience to notice at first.

My technician was going to take the 50 mile drive with me but came down with the flu, the real deal influenza, that morning, so I went alone. I FaceTimed with him, though, and he had me show him a lot of areas including where the strings meet the bridge, the pedal wires, etc and he had me play a few notes in unison (2 C's for example) to evaluate tuning. The seller, who is more experience than I, played a portion of a Beethoven Sonata for him. At the end, he felt it was in very good condition, nicely restored, and priced well.

Fast forward a few more weeks, and the deal is done. The piano is delivered and installed, and so far it sounds great! In another week or two, I'll get it a tune.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
A beautiful home for a beautiful piano! You're going to have so much fun with this! thumb

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
P
P
Now it's time to change your signature to reflect your acquisition. I hope recordings are coming soon!

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
How utterly beautiful!

P
P
Absolutely gorgeous!!!!!

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
What a beautiful piano in a gorgeous setting! Enjoy!

[Linked Image]
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Thank you!

Originally Posted by P3T3R
Now it's time to change your signature to reflect your acquisition. I hope recordings are coming soon!

Good point - at first I thought you meant the avatar - but I like my Raindrop avatar!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Beautiful cmb13!!! Congratulations on your new piano! Having a new piano is an amazing feeling, isn't it? May it bring you many years of enjoyment!

B
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
B
Beautiful! Can't wait to hear your recordings smile

♯ ♮ ♭ ø ° Δ ♩ ♪ ♫ ♬
Yamaha C3X
YouTube
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Congratulations! What a terrific piano you have!

Rich

Retired at the beach
Grotrian 192

Anton Rubinstein said about the piano: "You think it is one instrument? It is a hundred instruments!"

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member

Silver Supporter until Sept 10 2020
500 Post Club Member
Oh you lucky pup! Enjoy your beautiful piano! Looks like a great place to host piano parties.

"Serena," my Estonia L168.
cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Thanks........
Originally Posted by Qwerty53
Oh you lucky pup! Enjoy your beautiful piano! Looks like a great place to host piano parties.

Who's up for a trip to South Florida? 80' here!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Congratulations once again!

There is snow and ice on the ground here...

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

6000 Post Club Member
Online Content

6000 Post Club Member
Yes, beautiful home too.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by P3T3R

Done!
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Yes, beautiful home too.

Thank You - Classic Late '80's South Florida / updated

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

S
S
What a beautiful piano...congratulations and many many happy years of playing!

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
cmb13 - Congratulations again on your purchase! That's so exciting to own a vintage S&S A3 -- restored by Del Fandrich, no less. Your story is a classic example of the things we advise to new piano purchasers all the time on PW. Take your time, do your research, and you'll find the right piano in time, and at the right price!

I sure would love to make a trip to S. Florida to have the opportunity to play your piano. I've only played one A3, and it was from that era. It had been restored at some point in the past, but needs some attention now. I've always heard that they rival the Model B. Do you have much experience on a Model B, and if so, what are your thoughts on that? As the owner of a Model B, I'm kind of curious on how a well restored A3 stacks up.

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SuzyUpright
What a beautiful piano...congratulations and many many happy years of playing!

Thank you, Suzy! Really appreciate it!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

cmb13 Offline OP
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by GC13
cmb13 - Congratulations again on your purchase! That's so exciting to own a vintage S&S A3 -- restored by Del Fandrich, no less. Your story is a classic example of the things we advise to new piano purchasers all the time on PW. Take your time, do your research, and you'll find the right piano in time, and at the right price!

I sure would love to make a trip to S. Florida to have the opportunity to play your piano. I've only played one A3, and it was from that era. It had been restored at some point in the past, but needs some attention now. I've always heard that they rival the Model B. Do you have much experience on a Model B, and if so, what are your thoughts on that? As the owner of a Model B, I'm kind of curious on how a well restored A3 stacks up.

Thanks, GC13. I am really excited about it, and have probably spent between 2-4 hours per day on it since delivery on Tuesday. It still needs to acclimate and get tuned, and I'm still getting used to the touch, but I really love it. It's very resonant, the dynamic range blows away my upright.

I've never played a B, at least not when I knew what I was looking for. Maybe after a few weeks, I'll wander into the S&S showroom nearby and see how they compare. I'm still just an intermediate player, so I'm not overly qualified to make such a comparison, but getting better with time. One thing is that I'm not sure the dealer preps their pianos that well, so that may be a factor.

Of course, if you're ever in the area, let me know and you are welcome to check it out.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learning and strong emotions...
by CianistAndPomposer - 09/16/21 06:21 PM
Gift Piano from Elton John?
by JohnSprung - 09/16/21 04:54 PM
Kawai ES520 user's own thread
by 36251 - 09/16/21 04:11 PM
For those who love Martha Argerich...
by AaronSF - 09/16/21 03:17 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics209,142
Posts3,132,736
Members102,747
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission