2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (AlphaTerminus, AaronSF, accordeur, anotherscott, brdwyguy, Boboulus, 18 invisible), 696 guests, and 609 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2810718 02/04/19 06:50 PM
A
anpan23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
[list]
[*]kawai mp11se

[*]Nord piano 4

[*]roland rd 2000

[*]yamaha cp 88

[*]korg grandstage

[*]Other

G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
These are all great pianos...but it sounds a little premature to start handing out annual awards when we're barely a month into the year? smile Who knows what's going to be released in the next 11 months?

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
A
anpan23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
That s true :p i basically meant UNTIL NOW :P

P
P
IMHO...

1. Must have solid wooden action (I don't want crappy plastic)

2. Besides piano, must include ALL the necessary extra sounds needed for professional band gigs in theatres / cruise ships (eg. brass, strings, sax, flute, organs, B3, etc, etc.) - I'm never taking two 88 note keyboards to a gig, when one will do the job.

And that leaves only:

Kawai MP8
or
Kawai MP8 mkII

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
How are these two a 2019 instruments?

My YouTube, My Soundcloud
Currently: Yamaha N1X, DIY hybrid controller -> Garritan CFX
Previously: NU1X, ES7, MP6, CA63, RD-700SX, CDP-100, FP-5, P90, SP-200
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by CyberGene

Maybe they meant best instrument in 2009... smile

H
H
The stage piano with the best action /weight ratio and the most features is in my opinion the RD2000. The CP88 is not as feature complete as the RD2000, the MP11SE has better action but weighs significantly more. I do not like the actions on the Korg Grandstage or Nord Piano 4. They're still formidable stage pianos, I just don't like their actions.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
P
P
Originally Posted by CyberGene

That is my point !!!

There is NOTHING on the market - even thirteen-and-a-half years later, now in 2019 - that is a true upgrade from a Kawai MP8 / mkII which was released back in 2005. If there was, I would have bought it. I'm still waiting...

Everything else since MP8 is a serious compromise or downgrade in one way or another - just judging by my two main criteria alone. And if I get more fussy and demand balanced XLR outs, pitch-bend & mod wheels, 192 note polyphony, MIDI assignable rotary knob controllers, etc. - all of which the Kawai MP8 has! - then that kills off many other competitors, even if I was prepared to bring a laptop to every gig to make up for their lacking of all the onboard sounds I might be needing.

In an ideal world I'd like to have AES/EBU digital out also, and a 97 note keyboard, but hey...

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anpan23
[list]
[*]kawai mp11se

[*]Nord piano 4

[*]roland rd 2000

[*]yamaha cp 88

[*]korg grandstage

[*]Other

Hi Anpan23,

These boards are all offering different things to a different sub-segments of the stage piano market.

These boards are very alike and thus are direct competitors: Yamaha CP88 vs Nord Piano 4

I think the Roland stands on it's own due to the modelling, the great action, relatively low weight for what it does, the row of effects knobs, the drawbar sliders and the thousands of sounds---of course, not like the Nord interface, but still a great live interface.

The Korg Grandstage is sort-of in between: more control knobs, just not as good as the Nord and Yamaha. Action not so great, but who cares as much when you're gigging. To me, I'd rather have the Kronos.

The Kawai MP11SE is a home/studio stage piano (unless you're packing rhodies and don't have to lift your piano around yourself). It's lack of thousands of sounds make it less useful for the studio; however, lovely action (best in stage piano segment) and quality sounds make it a good home stage piano---unrivaled for action in a stage piano.

Other good boards: the Dexibell S9; the Kawai MP7SE (which actually has a lot under the hood for the price tag with a great plastic action). Although not yet updated, the Kurzweil Forte is a great stage piano.

I think that which you find best really depends upon what you're looking for in a board.

For gigging, you've also got the Yamaha Montage and the ModX boards, as well as the Kronos from Korg to consider. Again, they all have their unique mix of characteristics. A lot depends upon whether you like to create a sound spontaneously on stage, or you like to go on there having everything in memory presets.

Here are my favourites:
For gigging using on the fly creative sound edit: Nord Piano 4.
For home piano I might want to move around or occasionally gig with: Kawai MP11SE
For gigging, home and studio use (using presets but having some on-the fly capacity): Roland RD2000.
For gigging, home and studio use - high value for money (using presets but having some on-the fly capacity): Kawai MP7SE
For synth / stage piano use requiring FM sound engine (in studio and on stage): Yamaha Montage 88
For workstation / stage piano use requiring multi-sound engine technology: Korg Kronos 2.

P.S. I think the Yamaha Genos is the most interesting digital instrument in all classes of keyboard --- Yamaha should definitely stick the NXW action into it, add a metal case, and sell a stage piano version!

Kind regards,

Doug.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
A
anpan23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Great answer! It seems you really know about stage pianos.
I personally bought a nord piano 4 as i said in another thread. I ve generally heard that is good except the keybed that its not the perfect but not bad at all
I opened the thread in order to hear general opinions for all other models .
I think that really helps everyone understand what every piano model gives him smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by anpan23
Great answer! It seems you really know about stage pianos.
I personally bought a nord piano 4 as i said in another thread. I ve generally heard that is good except the keybed that its not the perfect but not bad at all
I opened the thread in order to hear general opinions for all other models .
I think that really helps everyone understand what every piano model gives him smile

It's only my opinion: others may have more experience with some of these boards and have different views.
I think you're right: on stage, the action (within a band setting) is good enough on the Nord, although some find this an issue.

Instruments: Current - Kawai MP7SE; Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000
Software: Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand: K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
The best stage piano in 2019 is ... the one you like best. (It doesn't matter what anyone else likes.)

The best stage piano in 2018 was ... the one you liked best a year ago.
The best stage piano in 2017 was ... the one you liked best two years ago.
The best stage piano in 2016 was ... the one you liked best three years ago.

So ... what really is the point of a BEST thing OF year thread ?

A
anpan23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
For someone who is new in stage pianos like me,best means which gives me more for the money ( we talking for 2000 surely). Surely Perfect doesnt exist. Here there are people very familiar with all conpanies. Thats why i asked that question.

More of **what** for the money?

More voices?
More knobs and controls?
etc etc etc...

Without a stated set of needs or requirements ... there is no criterion for judging "more" or "better".
And "best" is out of the question.

A
anpan23 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Yes you re right . Thats what helped me understand there are different keyboards for different situations and people smile the answers here helped understand better some things. Thats why forums are!!

A
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by propianist
IMHO...

1. Must have solid wooden action (I don't want crappy plastic)

2. Besides piano, must include ALL the necessary extra sounds needed for professional band gigs in theatres / cruise ships (eg. brass, strings, sax, flute, organs, B3, etc, etc.) - I'm never taking two 88 note keyboards to a gig, when one will do the job.

And that leaves only:

Kawai MP8
or
Kawai MP8 mkII

Not really one of the best pianos sounds these days, though, right? So how about the cheapest board you can find with a wood action, and a laptop (or even iPad) for sound? Though I'm not sure a wooden action is ideal for a cruise ship, as they may be more subject to the effects of humidity, plastic may have an advantage there. At any rate, if I was doing a cruise ship gig, I'd want two keyboards anyway. What if a board fails while you're at sea? Someone spills a drink into it, whatever? There's no way to get it serviced or get a replacement. A dual-purpose second/backup board could be a lighter (non-88) board, maybe to also get a better action for your organ work.

P
P
Originally Posted by anotherscott
Not really one of the best pianos sounds these days, though, right?

Piano is more than adequate for band ensemble work. For solo piano stuff, I'm playing a real acoustic grand anyway, but for the record, Kawai MP8's piano can sound very nice with some special tweaking I've done, or I have about 40+ software pianos installed on my Hades Canyon.

So how about the cheapest board you can find with a wood action?

That would probably be a second-hand Kawai MP8.
But in general, the "cheapest board" usually isn't the one I want to purchase, own and perform live with, and usually will not have all the features. The absolute best keyboard is the one I want to own.

Though I'm not sure a wooden action is ideal for a cruise ship, as they may be more subject to the effects of humidity, plastic may have an advantage there.

No, plastic keys are never an advantage to a serious working pianist (other than lighter weight instrument to carry) because they feel like crap to play. Your reputation is on the line every time you perform. Wooden keys feel correct and you play correctly. Plastic keys feel bad and you play bad.
Also plastic parts break more easily. I had Fatar and several plastic keys broke after 6 years. I had Kurzweil and some plastic keys broke. I've had Kawai MP8 with wooden action for 13 years and it has never broken or failed, despite extensive travels around the UK and abroad.
I would love to buy something brand new (like a Kawai MP12 or whatever) if it could totally replace my MP8, and even be slightly better, but until something exists that can tick all the same boxes...

If I was doing a cruise ship gig, I'd want two keyboards anyway. What if a board fails while you're at sea?

Well, the only suitable replacement that could do the Kawai MP8's job would be another Kawai MP8, (or possibly a Kawai MP7 if willing to accept plastic action which I would never pay my own money for.)
Though I agree, you're quite right - two identical instruments would be the safest option, in theory for backup - but as I say, have never experienced any problem with Kawai MP8. Ever. Its built like a tank.
By the same safety logic, one should always take a backup 2nd instrument to every gig - wherever it is (land or sea) - and most guitarist and bassists I know do take at least two guitars, but drummers and piano players rarely bring a spare drumkit (maybe sticks and skins) or piano.

C
C
I don’t mind plastic keys at all, and I can play good music on them. I like being able to load in in two trips, plug into power, plug in the sustain pedal, hand a 1/4 cord to the sound guy, and be ready to play. For me, at least, the ES8 is the perfect stage piano.

Rodney Sauer
Kawai KG-2E • Kawai ES8
Yes, plastic is fine. And the days of frequent broken keys are mostly over. That was an early 2000s fiasco.

And plastic keys don't need regulation.

Now ... for a piano that doesn't have to be moved, the extra weight of wood is worthwhile. That'll be my next piano, probably a Kawai.

But I wouldn't want to bear that extra weight when carrying a piano to and from a venue. (I guess that's why roadies are young.)

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by propianist

..... - just judging by my two main criteria alone. ......

Your criteria seem designed to produce only Kawai pianos. You quote plastic as "crappy". But there are actually many styles and types of plastic, a lot of which, to those who are less concerned about such restrictive specifications are not "crappy".

Perhaps surprisingly, I would describe some wood as "crappy"...... Just a different view, but a view that would diminish the importance of your criteria by some margin.

Furthermore, your criteria do ONLY apply to you.

The OP is considerably broader in it's range than an, "Only a Kawai can win this" view.

In my equally narrow criteria I wouldn't touch a Kawai with a barge pole. I personally do not like the build quality, preferring Roland by a long way. I also do not like the sound, preferring Roland by a long way.

Can you guess who I think should win?

I do think the Korg SV1 should be included in the list though,. Individual, stylised and characterful. If I had the money spare I would buy one just for fun! (And I wouldn't say that about any other piano)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New post on my blog about dynamics and phrasing
by BlizzardPiano - 05/14/21 03:46 PM
Identifying Grieg Music!
by Amy H - 05/14/21 02:45 PM
Hand Development and the Thumb
by Ghostnotes - 05/14/21 02:41 PM
Interesting Craigslist find: Knabe Grand
by D.P. - 05/14/21 01:41 PM
Pipe Organ built into a house
by FrankCox - 05/14/21 12:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,932
Posts3,093,508
Members101,517
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission