2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (Baltguy, anotherscott, Abdol, Alex Hutor, BlizzardPiano, Amy H, 20 invisible), 641 guests, and 632 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by gerhard_k
I haven't seen any cut-aways myself, but such a difference in the hinge mechanization would seem to be substantial enough to completely invalidate calling those actions both by the same name!

Yeah, the basic construction is the same though and they share many parts. The actual hammer action (beside the keys) might be completely interchangeable. Kawai would call it "GHS-IVF" or "GHS Compact". wink

Yamaha P-515
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by JoeT

The P-45 action is obviously more cost optimized, featuring no hinges, instead the pivot seems to be just flexible plastic, as seen on YouTube videos.

Which might support the impression, that a flexible plastic hinge might be stiffer than an actual hinge.

I haven't seen any cut-aways myself, but such a difference in the hinge mechanization would seem to be substantial enough to completely invalidate calling those actions both by the same name!

They're not the same name, as Joe mentioned they are entirely different actions smile. The GHS in the P-45 is probably the lowest end action that qualifies as "acceptable" for a fully weighted digital piano. The NWX in the P-515 and CLP-645 is Yamaha's highest end pure digital action (short of the Grand touch in the CLP-675/685).

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
H
H
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by JoeT

The P-45 action is obviously more cost optimized, featuring no hinges, instead the pivot seems to be just flexible plastic, as seen on YouTube videos.

Which might support the impression, that a flexible plastic hinge might be stiffer than an actual hinge.

They're not the same name, as Joe mentioned they are entirely different actions smile. The GHS in the P-45 is probably the lowest end action that qualifies as "acceptable" for a fully weighted digital piano. The NWX in the P-515 and CLP-645 is Yamaha's highest end pure digital action (short of the Grand touch in the CLP-675/685).

The comparison was between the GHS action on the Yamaha P-45 and GHS action on the P-125, not between the P-45's GHS and the P-515's NWX.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
G
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by halherta

The comparison was between the GHS action on the Yamaha P-45 and GHS action on the P-125, not between the P-45's GHS and the P-515's NWX.

Well, ok. But there's zero difference at all the in the hinge mechanism between the GHS of the DGX and the P series (both of which are GHS, and both are single piece plastic cantilevers), but the hinge is entirely different between the GHS and the GH/NWX....

Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11 || Kawai NV-10
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks everyone. I try to be pretty consistent in how I tested the pianos. Of course, warming up on the a grand or upright first will make the DP feel less than ideal but it's how I set my frame of reference. Since these are floor models, there could be changes due to use so I try to play some chords and scales at both ends of the keys to check that the feel is similar. It's unlikely I have the keen ear and touch some of you have, so I take all that has been shared into consideration and combine that with what seems good for me.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New post on my blog about dynamics and phrasing
by BlizzardPiano - 05/14/21 03:46 PM
Identifying Grieg Music!
by Amy H - 05/14/21 02:45 PM
Hand Development and the Thumb
by Ghostnotes - 05/14/21 02:41 PM
Interesting Craigslist find: Knabe Grand
by D.P. - 05/14/21 01:41 PM
Pipe Organ built into a house
by FrankCox - 05/14/21 12:59 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics206,932
Posts3,093,508
Members101,517
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission