2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
42 members (chopin_r_us, barbaram, clothearednincompo, Frédéric L, apollo_ff, FinnP, FrankCox, Doug M., Burkey, FredVinerPiano, 9 invisible), 395 guests, and 544 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
P
Originally Posted by oscar1
It is like the wolf notes on Roland supernatural piano. I did not know I have them on my FA until I read about it on internet.

I don't know what "wolf notes" are and I don't know if I want to know laugh .

Yamaha P-515, Yamaha Reface CP; Korg SV-2 73; Hammond XK-1c
J
J
Originally Posted by pawelsz
It is like the wolf notes on Roland supernatural piano. I did not know I have them on my FA until I read about it on internet.

Per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_tone:
“A wolf tone, or simply a "wolf",[1] is a sustaining sympathetic artificial overtone that amplifies and expands the frequencies of a played musical note, and is produced when the original note matches the natural resonant frequency of the body of the musical instrument. A wolf tone is frequently accompanied by an oscillating beating (due to the uneven frequencies between the natural note and artificial overtone), which may be likened to the howling of a wolf. A similar phenomenon is the beating produced by a wolf interval, which is usually the interval between E♭ and G♯ of the various non-circulating temperaments.”

It comes up in guitar discussions every so often, usually in discussions about various amplifiers, microphone recording or pickup systems. I didn’t know it was an issue with digital pianos sometimes too...
-Jim

Last edited by JimB1; 01/30/19 07:53 AM.

Just getting started 2019!
Yamaha P125
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Political comment deleted.

Last edited by BB Player; 01/30/19 10:28 AM.
P
P
Originally Posted by JimB1
Originally Posted by pawelsz

Per https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_tone:
“A wolf tone, or simply a "wolf",[1] is a sustaining sympathetic artificial overtone that amplifies and expands the frequencies of a played musical note, and is produced when the original note matches the natural resonant frequency of the body of the musical instrument. A wolf tone is frequently accompanied by an oscillating beating (due to the uneven frequencies between the natural note and artificial overtone), which may be likened to the howling of a wolf. A similar phenomenon is the beating produced by a wolf interval, which is usually the interval between E♭ and G♯ of the various non-circulating temperaments.”

It comes up in guitar discussions every so often, usually in discussions about various amplifiers, microphone recording or pickup systems. I didn’t know it was an issue with digital pianos sometimes too...
-Jim

Thank you for the explanation. I'm glad that I don't notice such a thing.

H
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
Thanks!

Are you able to Ravenscroft 275 under Linux...perhaps with WINE?

Cheers,
James
x

I have a Windows Laptop. I use it primarily for VSTs. I haven't tried running the UVI workstation software (Ravenscroft's engine software) with WINE. does it actually work? The only commercial VST that I use on Linux is Pianoteq and it works like a charm. On Linux I'm also able to use a variety of the freely available .sf2, .sfz and .gig sound fonts thanks to Linux sampler. This also works well, but these sound fonts are nowhere near as good as any commercial VST out there. Still they are an option that costs no money. The challenge here is in compiling the Linux sampler software as it is not available in binary form, just source. But once it's compiled, it is quite functional.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
this thread is going off topic, to say the least

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
B
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Jitin

Yes it has, the posts in question have been deleted. Any further and the thread will be closed and some people will get some time to pause and reflect....

Let’s stay on topic.

Greg
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by Kawai James
halherta, how does the latency of the Yamaha's built-in audio interface compare to the Scarlett 2i4?

Kind regards,
James
x

Hi! I think we should be careful regarding what we are trying to compare as we will likely end up comparing software drivers instead of the actual Yamaha and Scarlett hardware devices...

USB Audio defines "classes" that specify sample sizes, rates and number of channels. For example, class 1 supports uo to 24-bit@96kHz and class 2 up to 24-bit@192 kHz. Selecting a class type will also define the requirements for the transmission rates that need to be supported by the host (source) and device (destination). Hosts and devices that can meet the requirements are considered USB Audio Class compliant. Since the tranmission requirements are defined in the standard, then the intrinsic latency is also defined: between 250 and a maximum of 375 micro-seconds per packet with USB 2.0. Btw, this allows for dozens of CD quality streams to be transmitted simultaneously. The bottom-line is that the USB Audio latency is known in advance.

But this is just a small part of the big picture and is *not* a measure of the end-to-end latency. The differences in latency are going to be dependent on the stack of drivers and codecs, not on the USB Audio protocol itself. You can check these differences on this list that compares USB audio interfaces.

halherta, thanks for that additional info.

Originally Posted by halherta
I haven't tried running the UVI workstation software (Ravenscroft's engine software) with WINE. does it actually work?

I have no idea, I'm afraid...however I gather the Linux community has achieved some impressive results.

Originally Posted by Jitin

Yes, you're right...my apologies.

James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
A
A
I bought a yamaha p 515 and i kept it for about 5 days. Very bad sound in all ways ( internal speakers,through monitors,through headphones,with or without vrm and binaural sample) I really like the keybed and the whole piano at all but the sound was bad.

M
M
Originally Posted by anpan23
I bought a yamaha p 515 and i kept it for about 5 days. Very bad sound in all ways ( internal speakers,through monitors,through headphones,with or without vrm and binaural sample) I really like the keybed and the whole piano at all but the sound was bad.

Did you exchange it for some other piano?

P-515
D
D

What are you using over the Yamaha P515?

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I believe anpan23 (via another thread) has ordered the Nord 4...

A bit surprised about this remorse thread...is there any P515 defenders out there?

J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
So, i am the original poster of this thread, i think i may have titled it bit to strong.

After learning that it is not an issue, but rather a sampling effect from yamaha and also learning how to deal with it so it is not so extreme, the "effect" which may sound like a hissing, i still think this is the best keyboard in the market.

The reverb out of the box, is already quite strong, so i don't keep to extreme levels which exaggerates the effect.

I still do not regret my purchase, especially based on what is out in the market, in this price range

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by jamiecw
A bit surprised about this remorse thread...is there any P515 defenders out there?

I'm far from defending a product, but I'm still happy with my purchase. smile

Interestingly these sound issue threads showed up only recently, there must have been people who bought this DP last year after it released.

Yamaha P-515
B
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by anpan23

Did you buy it without testing in the first place?

Yamaha AvantGrand N1X

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed playing my Yamaha P515!
The only problem i have found with it, is that I now want an acoustic grand. cool

.... Jeff ▫️ Yamaha P515 ▫️ Roll Tide
M
M
I'm not a defender also, but neither a basher. I didn't believe there was a perfect piano in the first place. And for the money you pay, you get a decent set of characteristics. So, I'm happy enough with my P515.

P-515
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Beowulf
Did you buy it without testing in the first place?

I'm not him, but I made thorough comparison of various console models from various manufacturers visiting a showroom last year. There I also made myself acquainted with the NWX action as well as the Yamaha CFX and Bösendorfer sample through headphones. I also found out, that the interesting console models (newest tone generator and wooden actions) were beyond of my budget. The Kawai CA17 did go out of sale and the Yamaha CLP-645 increased in price by 25 %.

The P-515 itself wasn't on display, so I ordered it blind. After unpacking I was surprised by the good speakers, but otherwise I got what I expected.

Yamaha P-515
P
P
Originally Posted by jamiecw
I believe anpan23 (via another thread) has ordered the Nord 4...

I can say that for its price it's very good instrument, because of the key action at first place and sounds, which sound "yamahish" but just good and quite natural. It's better in many ways than its predecessor I think (but I haven't played it) and the price is in similar range. I expected something more from built-in speakers, but for this instrument they are fair enough. I wish it had registrations function without connecting external App via iPad/iPhone, but I can live without it.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Couch to Concert Hall
Couch to Concert Hall
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
NV10S/NV5S will be released on 21st
by robinlb - 05/18/21 04:13 AM
VST velocity level questions
by Animisha - 05/18/21 03:17 AM
James compares Kawai ES110, 520, and 920
by RinTin - 05/18/21 01:54 AM
Op. 61
by chopinetto - 05/18/21 12:34 AM
Please help me to identify this song
by patto81 - 05/17/21 10:09 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,000
Posts3,094,771
Members101,546
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission