2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
57 members (BlaisGuitars, AlphaTerminus, BlakeOR, Calavera, Boboulus, c++, 36251, 11 invisible), 627 guests, and 476 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Well, I had a P-515 and had to return it because I could not warm up to the sound through the built-in speakers.

However, I do not recall anything even remotely close to the "Hissing" being described in this thread.

Also, I do not find any examples in this thread of a P-515 Hissing.

I see an example (or 2) of some other digital pianos "Hissing".

An example of the P-515 Hissing would be nice.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

The hissing only happens when you crank up the reverb. I was considering buying one, and this wouldn't be a consideration for me, as I'd likely keep the reverb at zero forever.

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

The hissing only happens when you crank up the reverb. I was considering buying one, and this wouldn't be a consideration for me, as I'd likely keep the reverb at zero forever.

Yes, that's right. I remember that was mentioned.

That explains why I never would have noticed it.

I sometimes turn reverb off.

Don

Kawai MP7SE, Pianoteq, FocusRite Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface, Yamaha MG06 Mixer
KRK 5" Studio Monitors or Edifier R1850DB Bookshelf speakers or SennHeiser HD 559 Headphones
H
H
Jitin, buy a VST. You can get relatively decent ones for $30-40 (Production voices Concert Grand Compact $29 and Embertone's Concert D Lite $39). They're very good for the money. Hook up your P-515 to the PC/laptop with just a single USB cable (thanks to the built-in USB MIDI and USB audio interface/ soundcard). Route the MIDI from the the piano to the VST and the audio from the VST to the digital piano's audio interface and you play a different piano sound through your P-515 speakers with little to no cost (other than the VST ofcourse)!. The two VSTs listed above are 'lite' versions but still sound very good and are low on CPU/RAM resources. They should both have plenty of configurable reverb as well.

Last edited by halherta; 01/28/19 05:07 PM.

Yamaha P-125, Pianoteq 6, Ravenscroft 275 VST, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
lol talk about when “keeping it real goes wrong”? Haha

I think I’ll keep reverb standard and try the vst route down the road

However I’m not sure about the audio interface , it doesn’t seem to transmit audio back to the piano, still need a line in cable from computer to keyboard

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Jitin did you download the driver?

Page 5 tells you how from the computer manual.
https://usa.yamaha.com/files/download/other_assets/9/1094839/computer_en_rm_m0.pdf

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Hahaha, easy to suggest VTS, but wait when the person will get back to you with question about latency.
I did assume what the yamaha person confirmed that it is not a bug but feature :-). Yep, once you are tuned to the "ringing" you probably hear it all the time. It is like the wolf notes on Roland supernatural piano. I did not know I have them on my FA until I read about it on internet.
But that is the world of low to medium priced digital pianos these days.
I'd suggest instead of trying to mess with VTS and having yet another piece of finicky gear in the equation, try to set the reverb down to minimize the ringing to be more happy with the sound. While I don't know yamaha, but normally reverb on piano that itself has a long sustain is a bit un-necessary - instead of clean voice you are rounding it up and it is like having acoustic piano in a bathroom. I have also these nice hall and reverbs on my PX-860 but I can stand them only for a few minutes just for the fun, I far more prefer the clean voice.

Casio PX-860, Roland Fantom G, Kurzweil PC1X, Korg Micro X
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oscar1
Hahaha, easy to suggest VTS, but wait when the person will get back to you with question about latency.

Why how much latency are you getting? With an ASIO driver installed, I have trouble believing your latency could even be as much as 10ms, unless your computer sucks, your keyboard suck, or both! wink

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
H
H
@Oscar1 I used my Yamaha P-125 built-in audio interface with VSTs and have had no problems at all. No latency and no drama. Just download and install the Yamaha drivers for the audio interface, plug in the USB and all is good to go. I also have a Focusrite scarlett 2i4 audio interface. Again When I installed its drivers it worked optimally under windows. It even worked just fine under Linux without using any specialized drivers and exhibited no latency.

But sure, having built-in sounds is also very nice and convenient.

VSTs can be very addictive, Once you get going with them, it's very hard to go back to just built-in sounds.

It also helps to have a relatively decent laptop/PC that's dedicated for VST use. I do not have anti-virus software on my laptop for example. The only time it's connected to the internet is to download a new VST.

Last edited by halherta; 01/29/19 11:23 PM.

J
J
Originally Posted by halherta
@Oscar1 I used my Yamaha P-125 built-in audio interface with VSTs and have had no problems at all. No latency and no drama. Just download and install the Yamaha drivers for the audio interface, plug in the USB and all is good to go. I also have a Focusrite scarlett 2i4 audio interface. Again When I installed its drivers it worked optimally under windows. It even worked just fine under Linux without using any specialized drivers and exhibited no latency.

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the audio interface? I am confused on why you would use an audio interface when the piano has built-in USB audio and a headphone jack.

H
H
Originally Posted by jon123

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is the purpose of the audio interface? I am confused on why you would use an audio interface when the piano has built-in USB audio and a headphone jack.

@jon123, the USB audio interface integrated into the Yamaha P-125/P-515/CP88 and others is basically a sound card integrated into the digital piano. When you connect a USB cable between the PC and the digital piano, the PC will see a new sound card device and a USB MIDI device. Yes two different devices over the same USB connection.

With this sound card you can:
- Send audio (PC->DP ...OUT); say from a VST software or even youtube on the PC to the digital piano and have it play through the digital piano's internal speakers or external speakers attached to the piano.
- Receive audio (DP->PC ...IN); from the digital piano (while you are playing it) to the PC to be recorded.

So you can route the MIDI data from the digital piano to a VST software running on the PC, and route the VST audio data (sound) from the PC directly to the digital piano's internal (or externally attached) speakers at the same time over the same USB cable with negligible latency.

J
J
Originally Posted by jon123

@jon123, the USB audio interface integrated into the Yamaha P-125/P-515/CP88 and others is basically a sound card integrated into the digital piano. When you connect a USB cable between the PC and the digital piano, the PC will see a new sound card device and a USB MIDI device. Yes two different devices over the same USB connection.

With this sound card you can:
- Send audio (PC->DP ...OUT); say from a VST software or even youtube on the PC to the digital piano and have it play through the digital piano's internal speakers or external speakers attached to the piano.
- Receive audio (DP->PC ...IN); from the digital piano (while you are playing it) to the PC to be recorded.

So you can route the MIDI data from the digital piano to a VST software running on the PC, and route the VST audio data (sound) from the PC directly to the digital piano's internal (or externally attached) speakers at the same time over the same USB cable with negligible latency.

Yes, I understand the part about the piano's internal USB interface. However, since the piano has this functionality, what is the purpose of the external audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4)?

H
H
I don't need the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 at all when running VST's on my P-125 via a MS Windows PC. The P-125 USB audio interface is unfortunately not supported under Linux. So I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface instead only when using Pianoteq on my Linux box. Sorry for the confusion

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
I don't need the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 at all when running VST's on my P-125 via a MS Windows PC. The P-125 USB audio interface is unfortunately not supported under Linux. So I use the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 interface instead only when using Pianoteq on my Linux box. Sorry for the confusion

How do you configure and hook it up? What does it do for you? I've been thinking about getting a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 to play with, but am not sure what it'll do for me that I can't do without it.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
H
H
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

How do you configure and hook it up? What does it do for you? I've been thinking about getting a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 to play with, but am not sure what it'll do for me that I can't do without it.

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 is basically again a high fidelity USB based sound card that can route audio from the PC (VST or youtube) to external speakers/monitors ( via balanced or unbalanced outputs) and to headphones via a special headphone amplifier with plenty of gain. It can also route audio from a mic (two inputs with mic pre-amps) or other audio source inputs into the PC. It's built in DAC/ADC can handle bit rates up to 192kHz/24-bit. It is quite the piece of kit and works well for recording live performances, podcasting or routing VST to speakers via a hi-fidelity DAC with low latency.

It also has MIDI IN and MIDI OUT sockets. Hook the MIDI OUT on the DP to the MIDI IN on the focusrite and it will route it to the PC over the same USB connection. So basically in addition to being a fancy high fidelity USB sound card it also acts as a standard MIDI to USB-MIDI converter.

Last edited by halherta; 01/30/19 01:24 AM.

D
dmd Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

If you are happy with the latency when using your VSTs …. you are good to go. The External Audio Interface is for those not happy with latency.

Don

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
halherta, how does the latency of the Yamaha's built-in audio interface compare to the Scarlett 2i4?

Kind regards,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
H
H
Originally Posted by Kawai James
halherta, how does the latency of the Yamaha's built-in audio interface compare to the Scarlett 2i4?

Kind regards,
James
x

I never tried to quantify the latency for either interface, primarily because for both interfaces with their respective drivers installed, latency was never an issue under Windows.

Under Linux however the Yamaha audio interface worked temporarily (say 30 seconds) and then crashed (Yamaha explicitly mentions that the audio interface is only supported under Windows and Mac only in the user manual) which is a bummer for me as I'm a Linux user. The Focusrite however worked under Linux with no noticeable latency or crashes (using Pianoteq VST and/or Jack + Linux sampler) out of the box..i.e. without needing to install any drivers.

Last edited by halherta; 01/30/19 02:41 AM.

Thanks!

Are you able to Ravenscroft 275 under Linux...perhaps with WINE?

Cheers,
James
x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.
J
Jitin Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
J
So the standard reverb is 10 out of the box, and even with sound boost on, the effect is not noticeable when playing, up til reverb 20, and with the sound boost at that setting, once you go higher reverb then it gets weird ,
So I’ll jist stick to 20, and not like 50 /127 or so, where it’s when it gets annoying

I think generally I never had it that high all these months and is why I never noticed it

Yamaha P155, Yamaha P515
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Lower Pianoteq power consumption
by meghdad - 06/23/21 11:18 AM
Opinion on Sherlock and Manning 13657
by JKyser - 06/23/21 09:39 AM
What a great book!
by Ubu - 06/23/21 09:03 AM
Piano out of tune after tuning
by Gashdal - 06/23/21 08:34 AM
Does Pianoteq benefit from more cores
by Christopher90 - 06/23/21 04:53 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,667
Posts3,106,600
Members101,889
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission