2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
57 members (Adam Reynolds, Carey, brdwyguy, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, 10 invisible), 1,869 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by agn2x

@Mark_C:

Please note this will be my last post in the forums as "pv88" (i.e., original member) as I am giving my formal apologies to everyone here for now and the reason for having been banned was due to a post in the following thread:

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2529867/Physis_Piano.html

Being banned as "pv88" in no way reflects as to who I am (i.e., Richard) outside of these forums since I am now a retired person that will be turning 60 in May. I intend to move forward with trading in a Clavinova CLP-585 towards a new AvantGrand "N2X" digital piano should Yamaha eventually release the new model.

Have decided that an acoustic piano is not going to work out in my old house due to very wide humidity swings and therefore will be playing on digital pianos, only. Getting a Generac generator installed soon (in February) has been a priority as I have had several power outages.

This will be one of my last posts in the forums -- have a good day! grin

[New member name]

"agn2x" means:

a = Avant
g = Grand
n2x = N2X (model name)

What a long series of goodbyes!

Last edited by cmb13; 01/17/19 02:03 PM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by cmb13

What a long series of goodbyes!

Indeed. That incident was in 2016. Apologies mean nothing when they're just followed by more abuse via PM or e-mail.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Let's get this thread back on track, then smile

Anyone going to any good concerts/recitals in the near future? Or, anyone going to *play* in a recital? We want times and dates and all the rest!

Me:

Ivo Pogorelich, Meistersingerhalle Nuremberg, Germany, 17. Feb 2019 at 8pm (link to program, on the bottom left)
Evgeny Kissin, Musikverein Vienna, Austria, 12. Mar 2019 at 8pm (link to program)

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
That Kissin program looks great....maybe I'll meet you there. JK a little too far.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That Kissin program looks great....maybe I'll meet you there. JK a little too far.

Dooooo eeeeet, you know you want to!! laugh

Wouldn't that be great, a mini PW gathering at one of the temples of classical music, hehe.

H
H
Originally Posted by Sibylle
Anyone going to any good concerts/recitals in the near future?

Tonight - Peter Serkin playing the Goldberg Variations (plus two Mozart works). If I feel inspired, I'll post a report here.

Mark_C Offline OP
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Hank M
Tonight - Peter Serkin playing the Goldberg Variations (plus two Mozart works). If I feel inspired, I'll post a report here.

[Linked Image]

There!
(Are you inspired?) grin

We want it, we want it.....

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

That would be something to see!

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Feb 25th & 26th, I'm going to Martha Argerich in Berlin.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member

I will be attending. Looking forward to this.

Barbara
...without music, no life...
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

Ivo Pogorelich, Meistersingerhalle Nuremberg, Germany, 17. Feb 2019 at 8pm (link to program, on the bottom left)
Evgeny Kissin, Musikverein Vienna, Austria, 12. Mar 2019 at 8pm (link to program)

You Europeans have it so much better!

Last edited by cmb13; 01/18/19 01:28 PM.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member

Dooooo eeeeet, you know you want to!! laugh

Wouldn't that be great, a mini PW gathering at one of the temples of classical music, hehe.

That would be absolutely spectacular!

I'm holding out for Irina Lankova.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by johnstaf

You Europeans have it so much better!

Nah. You have New York just up the road! grin

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/18/19 02:35 PM.
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
LOL you're right.

Two turns and I'm on i95, 1200 miles to the north, hang a R into the Lincoln Tunnel, hang a L up 7th until I get to 57th, park and walk into Carnegie Hall. 4-5 turns total. Maybe I should just Uber lol smile.

It still seems to me that the best tend to base in Europe, though.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
LOL you're right.

Two turns and I'm on i95, 1200 miles to the north, hang a R into the Lincoln Tunnel, hang a L up 7th until I get to 57th, park and walk into Carnegie Hall. 4-5 turns total. Maybe I should just Uber lol smile.

It still seems to me that the best tend to base in Europe, though.

I agree. Europe really does seem to have most of the best concerts there. And most people really don't realize how far most places in the United States are away from New York or any major metropolitan.

Last edited by NobleHouse; 01/18/19 09:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by NobleHouse
I agree. Europe really does seem to have most of the best concerts there. And most people really don't realize how far most places in the United States are away from New York or any major metropolitan.

A lot of people don't, that's true. And at the same time, people in America don't realise that "Europeans" are actually people from lots of different countries and it's not always that easy to get to places either smile My going to those two recitals in Feb and March means travelling abroad both times, across half the continent - and even though it might not be all that far in terms of distance, it's air travel because there are a couple of oceans in the way. I wish I could just get in a car and drive to Vienna, but that would take about four days including ferries and everything, haha!

Being "European" isn't what makes it, it very much depends on which country you live in.

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/19/19 04:56 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
And at the same time, people in America don't realise that "Europeans" are actually people from lots of different countries and it's not always that easy to get to places either smile My going to those two recitals in Feb and March means travelling abroad both times, across half the continent - and even though it might not be all that far in terms of distance, it's air travel because there are a couple of oceans in the way. I wish I could just get in a car and drive to Vienna, but that would take about four days including ferries and everything, haha!
You can't drive, but why would you want to? You can fly from Dublin to Vienna, a distance of 2000 km, sometimes for as low as 28€ (Ryanair), which is less than cmb13 would pay for his gasoline to NYC. Don't want to make my wife into some sort of a "Jetsetter" when ticket prices for the budget airlines are sub-50€, but my wife travels all around Europe sometimes with only her handbag. Going to London from our apartment in Amsterdam is a day trip to her, which here in the US I might drive to a place 2 hours and 200km away. With budget airlines like Ryanair and EasyJet and ridiculously low fares cheaper than the cost of petrol, all parts of Europe are better connected that the continental US.

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
You can't drive, but why would you want to? You can fly from Dublin to Vienna, a distance of 2000 km, sometimes for as low as 28€ (Ryanair)...

Unless, of course, you have baggage to check in etc wink Then you can immediately add 70 EUR. Also, Ryanair's flights to "Vienna" actually land in Bratislava, which is in Slovakia instead of Austria and over 2 hours away by train. Of course you need to add the train ticket to the price of the flight, which altogether makes it as least as expensive as you'd pay in your example of driving. Apart from the money you spend for long-term parking at your home airport etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it, but "it's so much easier in Europe" just isn't true. Everywhere it's easier if you live in a city with a big concert hall or two, an opera etc. Otherwise you need to travel, one way or another, which is time-consuming and more or less expensive.

Serves me right for moving to the shticks, eh? wink

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/19/19 09:40 AM.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
You can't drive, but why would you want to? You can fly from Dublin to Vienna, a distance of 2000 km, sometimes for as low as 28€ (Ryanair)...

Unless, of course, you have baggage to check in etc wink Then you can immediately add 70 EUR. Also, Ryanair's flights to "Vienna" actually land in Bratislava, which is in Slovakia instead of Austria and over 2 hours away by train. Of course you need to add the train ticket to the price of the flight, which altogether makes it as least as expensive as you'd pay in your example of driving. Apart from the money you spend for long-term parking at your home airport etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm doing it, but "it's so much easier in Europe" just isn't true. Everywhere it's easier if you live in a city with a big concert hall or two, an opera etc. Otherwise you need to travel, one way or another, which is time-consuming and more or less expensive.

Serves me right for moving to the shticks, eh? wink

You're right of course. I stand corrected. What I said only applies to going between major cities in Europe. If you are outside a major city, and/or headed to a place outside a major city, then it is more elaborate and expensive, and and depending on the pair of major cities in question, there can be the cost of a connecting train fare.

That said, is there anything outside of major cities? wink (j/k!)

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
That said, is there anything outside of major cities? wink (j/k!)

I move to have top orchestras and soloists play all the small towns next. That should take them a good few years per continent wink I can just see Boris Berezovsky in my nearest town's little "hall", playing on the broken-down old Bechstein grand there... ha

Page 5 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 15 16

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission