2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (Charles Cohen, AlkansBookcase, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, bcalvanese, booms, Bruce Sato, Carey, 10 invisible), 1,930 guests, and 264 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2798492 01/04/19 04:29 PM
S
SVL Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I started out wanting to restore a 100 year or so Steinway B for 20k. Now I want to buy a piano that I know will sound good and my search has led me to a Yamaha C3. Specifically one from 1978 selling for $11,000 after taxes and delivery.

Is this a fair price you would pay for a 40 year old C3? It has a lifetime trade up

P
P
No.

For reference:

There's a 2005 C7 on PianoMart.com right now for $21,500.00, a 1980s-ish C5 on Houston's Craigslist for $12,500.00.

I wouldn't pay more than $6000,00 for a 1970s C3.

If $11,000.00 is your budget ceiling, you might like to try a new Brodmann or Ritmuller.

Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
I looked at two C3's recently at dealers in the Seattle area. One was a 2006 and listed for $14,900. The other was from the 90's (I forgot to write down the exact date) and was not in as good a shape and was listed for $12,999. This was list price and there was definitely negotiation room. This also didn't include tax or delivery so you'd add 9% and about $400. The former had lifetime trade up as well, not sure about the latter.

So, if the piano is in good shape, it doesn't seem like a ridiculous price. Maybe see if you can wiggle the price or maybe get some extras like free tuning and a bench.

Now learning: Debussy Clar de Lune, Mozart Sonata in C K. 545, Joplin The Chrysanthemum
Instruments: Yamaha N1X, Roland GO:PIANO, Piano de Voyage
P
P
Sorry, I mean a newer Brodmann or Ritmuller above.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by SVL
I started out wanting to restore a 100 year or so Steinway B for 20k. Now I want to buy a piano that I know will sound good and my search has led me to a Yamaha C3. Specifically one from 1978 selling for $11,000 after taxes and delivery.

Is this a fair price you would pay for a 40 year old C3? It has a lifetime trade up

You didn't indicate:
- whether this is a private or dealer sale (lifetime trade up does suggest a dealer sale)
- if dealer, what is the reputation? any kind of warranty (doubtful on a 40-year old piano, depending on condition)
- the condition of the piano (condition is everything in a used piano)
- maintenance history (if there is one)
- local market demands

These determine the selling price, so it's hard to say whether this is a good price. A 40-year old piano could be a candidate for considerable work, or may have some serviceable life left if well cared for.

Nor did you say whether or not you like the touch and tone of the piano - presuming that you have already tried it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
SVL Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by BruceD
Originally Posted by SVL

You didn't indicate:
- whether this is a private or dealer sale (lifetime trade up does suggest a dealer sale)
- if dealer, what is the reputation? any kind of warranty (doubtful on a 40-year old piano, depending on condition)
- the condition of the piano (condition is everything in a used piano)
- maintenance history (if there is one)
- local market demands

These determine the selling price, so it's hard to say whether this is a good price. A 40-year old piano could be a candidate for considerable work, or may have some serviceable life left if well cared for.

Nor did you say whether or not you like the touch and tone of the piano - presuming that you have already tried it.

Regards,

It’s a dealer well known in this area for their high end pianos like Bosendorfer. Piano is in ok condition with hammers been filed already.

I don’t know if putting these 6 foot grands in my small living space is in my best interest. Maybe I’d be happier with a U3 or similar.

In other news there are some Steinway “S” restored going for $7-8k

Last edited by SVL; 01/04/19 07:14 PM.
Online Content
Originally Posted by SVL
It’s a dealer well known in this area for their high end pianos like Bosendorfer. Piano is in ok condition with hammers been filed already.

I don’t know if putting these 6 foot grands in my small living space is in my best interest. Maybe I’d be happier with a U3 or similar.

In other news there are some Steinway “S” restored going for $7-8k

It's easy to say the price for the 1978 C3 is too high. But the Yamaha C series grands are generally well thought of among the piano playing community and hold their value very well. It may or may not be worth the price.

Only a qualified piano tech could tell you for sure how good a condition it's in and advise you on the price. If you really like it you could always try and negotiate the price further or just keep looking until you find a piano you like along with the price. There is a happy medium between the two (piano and price).

I was fortunate to find a 1978 Yamaha C7 being sold by a Church that went to all digital pianos. I'd rather not say what I paid for it publicly (in case I ever decide to sell it, which is not likely smile ) but I paid less than what the dealer is offering you the 1978 C3 for. But that does not mean the C3 is not worth it. Something is worth what a buyer is willing to pay and seller willing to sell for...

Good luck!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
When I was looking, last year, I tried a nice 1990 C3 for 12K, 1992 G3 for 10K, decent 1980 C3 for 7.5K and a 2001 C3 for 15K. The '90 and '80 C3's were from private sellers and the rest from dealers.

J
J
Of course, the Yamaha C3 grand pianos are known for its high quality engineering and they are meant for professional piano performances. It is an instrument which matches the requirements of all the level of piano players. I think the company will not give you the life time trade up and as of my knowledge it is only for 5 years for the grand pianos and 7 years for the acoustic pianos. If you are in search of the pianos with the life time warranty you can find many other brands like Bosendorfer, Estonia, Mason and Hamlin. In Yamaha you can also find the Yamaha home digital piano with the better features and it is an acoustic instrument.

Music can be the best medicine for every broken heart.
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Everything depends on the condition of the piano. 40 years is quite old for any piano, but at the same time there are good examples of older Kawai and Yamaha pianos still in professional service, with minimal technical work done on them - perhaps new strings, hammers and damper felts.

A piano that has had minimal home use will be in better condition, but one thing I have noticed in these older Yamahas is that the bass tone tends to get a little dumpy sounding and lacking in sustain. At worst it would require a new set of bass strings if this has happened.

Is this price too high? I don't know. I know that in the UK one could expect to pay anything from £7000 to £12,000 for a Yamaha C3 of that age. The higher price would indicate better condition and perhaps some replaced parts.

YAMAHA Artist
Online Content
Originally Posted by Jami Grant
. If you are in search of the pianos with the life time warranty you can find many other brands like Bosendorfer, Estonia, Mason and Hamlin.
No piano makes have lifetime warranties.

T
T
I've suggested this before and followed my own advice. Piano Outlet in Coral Springs, FL offers an amazing price/quality relationship being that they source used pianos directly from Japan and run a lean business model. I just checked their website and they happen to have a couple of C3s right now. One is 1992 and $12,500 (including new strings), the other is 1979 with new bass strings for $8,500. First time I spoke with Russell, he told me the 1992 I eventually bought was like new because hardly played, I expected it to be typical sales talk... but it turned out to be accurate. My very experienced piano tech confirmed. Might be worth getting on a plane to check the place out. Russell is a fabulous pianist so maybe you could get him to do a Skype-like demo with your first.

Sorry if I sound like a "fan-girl" but like finding a great restaurant, I really just want to share my little discovery.

Kawai GE-1
Faber All-in-One, Book 1
j&j Offline
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jami Grant
In Yamaha you can also find the Yamaha home digital piano with the better features and it is an acoustic instrument.

Respectfully, by definition a Yamaha home digital piano is NOT an acoustic instrument.

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
Casio Privia P230
At least half the waiters in Nashville play better than I
[Linked Image]
L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
This 1978 C3 is not going to last much longer without much
work done on it .You have to decide if it is OK if it only lasts another 20 years perhaps a bit more if you are lucky .
You could but a new upright for that price .

A
A
Originally Posted by Lady Bird
This 1978 C3 is not going to last much longer without much
work done on it .You have to decide if it is OK if it only lasts another 20 years perhaps a bit more if you are lucky .
You could but a new upright for that price .

That you could. A really nice, brand-new U3. Probably even in mahogany if you like. It would give you decades of worry-free musical pleasure. No such guarantee with a 40 year old instrument.

P
P
Too much for a 1978 C3!
I think the right price should be 7/800$.
Wonderful instrument in any case smile

Music, i feel must be emotional first and intellectual second
Valentina Lombardo Pianist

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission