2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
23 members (Evgeny 85, Frédéric L, Georg Z., Christopher90, clothearednincompo, Harpuia, 7 invisible), 821 guests, and 466 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I pay to hear the music, not to see them shake their heads and look at the ceiling.

R
R
Then play the video in the background, and just listen to the audio instead of watching the video if it bothers you that much.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by JoelW
I pay to hear the music, not to see them shake their heads and look at the ceiling.
You are wrong. Why? Because you insult all performers with your statement. Very few performers are mere pianists. Obviously you have never been to an opera or a play.

That being said, I hate watching musicians when they perform, so I close my eyes. laugh

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Some very great pianists have showed a lot of emotion, some very great pianists have not showed emotion, and many have been somewhere in between. Some people like it when pianists show emotion and some people don't like it. But saying pianists shouldn't show emotion because you personally don't like it is not a good reason.

Most people in the audience can't see the type of close up facial views that are common on YouTube videos. They are not close enough and see the pianist in profile.

I personally don't like ceiling starers if they do it constantly. I rarely mind facial expressions and sometimes think it greatly adds to a performance. Daniil Trifonov would be an example of someone whose expressions I think actually add to his performances. He is one of the most popular and critically acclaimed pianists in the world.

B
B
Some performers like to look for flies (or wasps, as the case may be) on the ceiling; others like to commune with the composer (or someone even higher, if that's possible) by smiling beatifically at infinity (wherever that is); still others grimace in rapture (though grimacing uses more facial muscles than smiling, so my anatomist tell me, so it must surely create more tension); others like to relate pent-up energy by jumping up & down, or side-to-side, or a permutation of both.

It's all good.thumb

Personally, in my old age, I 'let myself go' when it comes to practicing in the privacy of my home, as well as performing in public these days, and my playing - and range of expression, and communicating skills - is all the better for it. In fact, it made me realize how self-conscious I was as a kid, forcing myself to adopt a poker face and restraining myself from what I deemed to be 'extraneous movements', even if no-one was watching. I don't have a video of my teenage self (thankfully), but I must have looked like a robot when playing. Maybe I even sounded like a robot......until my last teacher freed me from all that nonsense by reminding me that I was (amazingly enough) a member of the species homo sapiens, and that music is all about communication. And we know robots don't communicate (- their programmers do).

As someone once said, the truth is out there..... smirk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__jTJLEIRnQ

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I'm extremely animated when I 'perform' and when I talk. It has been mentioned, always positively, by thousands of people over my lifetime, that I look like I love playing. I don't do it for show - too many knocked over wine glasses sadly as a result of my animated ways.

So I am definitely a 'Do as I say, not as I do' hypocrite.

Last edited by prout; 01/10/19 08:41 PM.
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
I wonder if the OP was jesting, or in earnest?

[Linked Image]
J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Whether it's a pianist or a plumber, I say that anyone who's working hard gets to make whatever faces they want. ;-)

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
M
M
I think OP is stirring ....

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Shaking their heads and looking at the ceiling means in the middle of their performance, they noticed that the ceiling painter had "missed a bit". Again.

JoelW Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Shaking their heads and looking at the ceiling means in the middle of their performance, they noticed that the ceiling painter had "missed a bit". Again.

smile

Originally Posted by MrCatMissMew
I think OP is stirring ....
….the pot just to see what kind of reaction he'll get.

This topic has been discussed to death here in the past. smile

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
As long as they play well, I couldn't care less what else they do. I just look at their hands anyway. In fact, one of my pet peeves with videos/films of pianists is the long time they spend filming the face. I don't give a toss if s/he's pulling a face, and I find it rather intrusive to keep the camera there. Show me their hands, dammit!

Last edited by Sibylle; 01/11/19 03:02 AM.

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoelW

Wrong. You pay them to show up and play the advertised programme. What they do with their faces is up to them.

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/11/19 06:21 AM.
I
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I
Originally Posted by JohnSprung

Whether it's a pianist or a plumber, I say that anyone who's working hard gets to make whatever faces they want. ;-)

Good words! thumb

Z
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Z
Originally Posted by Sibylle
As long as they play well, I couldn't care less what else they do. I just look at their hands anyway. In fact, one of my pet peeves with videos/films of pianists is the long time they spend filming the face. I don't give a toss if s/he's pulling a face, and I find it rather intrusive to keep the camera there. Show me their hands, dammit!

They don't want you to see their fingering for the tricky parts. It's a masonic secret.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Zaphod
Originally Posted by Sibylle

They don't want you to see their fingering for the tricky parts. It's a masonic secret.

That explains why they do the obnoxious face-filming *especially* during those passages when I really want to see what fingering the pianist uses ha

Sibylle

"Not a shred of evidence exists in favour of the idea that life is serious." -Brendan Gill
P
P
I believe that Brahms was noted for being rather stoic and still at the piano. His technique is said to have been equal to Liszt, but no where near as flashy; indeed I think the same can be said of their compositions. Oddly enough, I find myself exactly opposite playing their music, i.e. I'm much more mobile and emotive playing Brahms, and the technical difficulties of Liszt for the small handed like me lead me to focus more on the notes and less on the music.

One time, I was playing playing Brahms opus 10 Ballades when I thought I was alone. Like many people, I'm usually more still when an audience is present, so I was more emotive this time. I didn't know my wife (a music teacher) had come into the room. When I finished, she had tears in her eyes (as did I) and asked me why I don't play like that normally. She said it was a much more intense experience than normal.

When watching a performer, facial expressions and body movements only bother me when they come across as exaggerated and inauthentic. I guess what I'm trying to say is let the performers perform in a way that feels right to them.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
N
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
You are practicing art and your are not supposed to show your emotion? That should be up to the individual to say the least.

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by prout
... too many knocked over wine glasses sadly as a result of my animated ways.

Not into the piano I hope!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Break-ups are hard
by Athdara - 06/24/21 11:54 PM
(Question) VST-applied MIDI and live-recorded VST
by Saberlarry - 06/24/21 11:39 PM
Trying to identify the maker of my old piano
by PianoLover90 - 06/24/21 11:30 PM
Haunted Piano !?!
by Retsacnal - 06/24/21 07:34 PM
Do you have this problem with Steinway?
by RonaldSteinway - 06/24/21 06:38 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,690
Posts3,107,050
Members101,897
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission