2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#2800420 01/10/19 09:06 AM
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I thought about this a while ago, but there weren't many options at the time. Just wanted to revisit the idea. Do you all have any suggestions? Something at least the same size as a real sheet of paper would be ideal.

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]
across the stone, deathless piano performances

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Success is 10% inspiration, and 90% perspiration." -by some other wise person
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Looks perfect, but $1600? Dayum!

Kawai RX-6 BLAK
F
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
F
I use a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7" with the Document Viewer app, and the end result is about the perfect size for sheet music.

The app has an automatic crop function that will remove the margins around a scanned page so the content will fill the screen without a bunch of white space around it. The end result is close enough to "actual size" on printed sheet music.

Having all of my music on my tablet allows me to keep stuff organized since I'm not sorting through eight inches of paper to find that one thing that I know is right here in this pile. And my wife appreciates me not having a bunch of paper stacked on and around my piano.

I suppose the only bad thing is that I don't get the "oh look, I forgot about this one!" feeling when I'm digging through the pile looking for something else. But I can still sit on the couch and scan through everything that I have, if I want to.

If you're a zombie and you know it, bite your friend!
We got both kinds of music: Country and Western!
Casio Celviano AP-650
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have recently switched over to a 12.3" Microsoft Surface Pro tablet.

Before that I had been using a cheap 10.1" Amazon Fire tablet for 3 years. While I was quite happy with the Fire tablet, the larger Surface Pro is really a step above, especially together with the (optional) surface pen, which really makes it very easy to work with score annotations. But of course the larger screen size is the main improvement. I always said that the smaller Amazon tablet was fine for me, but now that I have the larger size, I know what I have been missing. The larger size really does make a difference. If it's in the budget (maybe by getting something used), I really recommend to get a 12" or larger device, instead of the more common 9-10" devices.
And compared to my old tablet, not only is the Surface Pro larger, but it also has a sharper resolution and a screen size aspect ratio that is better for sheet music, which is another plus.

So together with the MobileSheets app (see below) I can really recommend a Surface Pro + pen for sheet music.

It is however not exactly cheap, so I minimized its cost a bit by getting the 2017 model and by getting the smallest configuration (with smallest memory and processor). As its main use is as a music sheet display device, that smallest version is still plenty for my needs. It can handle the sheet music without problems and delays, much faster than the old and cheap fire tablet.

I believe that an iPad Pro, which is about the same size and also has a similar pen, would work just as well, but it is a good bit more expensive than the Surface Pro (in the configuration I got) and also I didn't want to get locked into the Apple "walled garden". Plus, I wanted to continue to use the same sheet music app as before:

On the Surface Pro I am using the MobileSheets app. This app is also available for Android and Amazon tablets (under the name MobileSheetsPro) and I had already been using it on my Fire tablet. So moving my sheet music library (with all annotations and everything) from my old tablet to the new Surface Pro was as simple as making a backup on the old tablet and restoring it on the new tablet.
And as long as MobileSheets keeps being available on Windows, Android and Amazon devices, I feel I have more options for future device changes.

So if you end up with a similar Windows, Android or Amazon device, I simply cannot recommend MobileSheets enough,

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by JoBert
So together with the MobileSheets app (see below) I can really recommend a Surface Pro + pen for sheet music.

So if you end up with a similar Windows, Android or Amazon device, I simply cannot recommend MobileSheets enough,

Interesting. I have a cabinet full of music next to my piano, plus all the music scattered on top of it and the piano - so much faffing around putting it back and forth. So looking at a tablet or something similar but concerned about size. There is this
12.1 Windows 7 tablet

which looks as though it could do the same job much cheaper. What do you think?

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JoBert

Before that I had been using a cheap 10.1" Amazon Fire tablet for 3 years. While I was quite happy with the Fire tablet, the larger Surface Pro is really a step above, especially together with the (optional) surface pen, which really makes it very easy to work with score annotations. But of course the larger screen size is the main improvement. I always said that the smaller Amazon tablet was fine for me, but now that I have the larger size, I know what I have been missing. The larger size really does make a difference. If it's in the budget (maybe by getting something used), I really recommend to get a 12" or larger device, instead of the more common 9-10" devices.
And compared to my old tablet, not only is the Surface Pro larger, but it also has a sharper resolution and a screen size aspect ratio that is better for sheet music, which is another plus.

It is however not exactly cheap, so I minimized its cost a bit by getting the 2017 model and by getting the smallest configuration (with smallest memory and processor). As its main use is as a music sheet display device, that smallest version is still plenty for my needs. It can handle the sheet music without problems and delays, much faster than the old and cheap fire tablet.

I believe that an iPad Pro, which is about the same size and also has a similar pen, would work just as well, but it is a good bit more expensive than the Surface Pro (in the configuration I got) and also I didn't want to get locked into the Apple "walled garden". Plus, I wanted to continue to use the same sheet music app as before:

On the Surface Pro I am using the MobileSheets app. This app is also available for Android and Amazon tablets (under the name MobileSheetsPro) and I had already been using it on my Fire tablet. So moving my sheet music library (with all annotations and everything) from my old tablet to the new Surface Pro was as simple as making a backup on the old tablet and restoring it on the new tablet.
And as long as MobileSheets keeps being available on Windows, Android and Amazon devices, I feel I have more options for future device changes.

This has been my issue. I keep looking at the iPad Pro, the Surface Pro and the Surface Book 2. All three have their strengths and weaknesses. HELP!

[Linked Image]
P
P
I'll say the same thing I always do when this topic comes up:

I use a 2-1 15.6 inch windows laptop. I use Microsoft edge (build it to windows 10) as my pdf viewer and a foot switch to turn pages. I can read 2 pages side by side to eliminate some page turns, but if I'm just learning something, I sometimes go single page and turn the screen to vertical.

If I was to replace the laptop, I would get a 17 inch version of the same thing, but not have a touch screen since I'm using the foot switch for page turns anyway. I am also considering just hooking up a 21 inch monitor to the laptop to display on that, but it would need to be at least UHD if not 4K. It turns out sitting so close to the screen, it needs to be higher resolution.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
R
R
Sometimes I use Piascore on an iPad.

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RubberFingers

Have you done any comparisons between Piascore and forScore? If so, how do you feel they compare and why did you pick Piascore instead?

[Linked Image]

"Discipline is more reliable than motivation." -by a contributor on Reddit r/piano
"Pianoteq manages to keep it all together yet simultaneously also go in all directions; like a quantum particle entangled with an unknown and spooky parallel universe simply waiting to be discovered." -by Pete14
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member

[Linked Image]

R
R
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop
Originally Posted by RubberFingers

Have you done any comparisons between Piascore and forScore? If so, how do you feel they compare and why did you pick Piascore instead?

Nope, I don't have a ton of experience. The review posted above has some good comments, and I've noticed that on my "regular" sized iPad that the music is a bit small. It works well for music that I already know well. I've never tried tricky stuff like blinking or turning my head (which may require a more fancy iPad). Piascore is free, at least the version I use, so there's no risk.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Tyrone Slothrop

Thanks Tyrone-very useful!

[Linked Image]
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Many months ago, I found an 11.5" touchscreen Insignia Android tablet with Android OS 7.0 at Best Buy for about $100. It has native wifi, bluetooth, detachable keyboard/cover. With MobileSheets for Android, this things works like a charm. You can flip the thing landscape or portrait just by turning it around.

I find the landscape view gives me a really nice wide LARGE (for my aging eyes!) image, but then the challenge becomes touching the screen to advance from top to bottom of each page, and then to advance across pages, without missing a beat of playing. Too many quick touches are required while playing.

Solution: So today I found the perfect resolution to that remaining problem... the AirTurn DUO BT106 for $99. This thing works wirelessly via bluetooth (which the Android table emits natively). This wireless (rechargeable internal battery) pedal advances pages or goes back, either a full page or a half page at a time, simply depending whether I've turn the tablet portrait or landscape.

This whole setup cost about $200 all told (and the foot pedal can be used for a variety of other purposes, even as just a remote for multimedia, etc. without the detachable pedals). The tablet/keyboard provides virtually unlimited storage for music pdfs (scans, mostly of our vast paper sheet music collection) and has now become an even greater pleasure to use for playing piano.

Some arrangement like this might work for you and I found it to be extremely cost effective, customizable, and easy on the eyes.

Food for thought.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I also have a cabinet full of music books and sheet music but had the brilliant idea of scanning them all into my iPad Pro. That’s a project in itself and I’m sure I will die before THAT is finished. It did not take me long to discover that the music was still not quite large enough to read comfortably (I bought the 10” IPad). Someone on this forum had mentioned that he or she projected music onto a monitor so I decided to try that (I had a spare 24” one) and that was the perfect solution for me. I’m using a Donner page turner although I find it a little stiff and a little smaller than I’d like. I only have a fraction of my music scanned in, though, so it’s a work in progress and, for me, best accomplished on a cold and rainy or snowy day.

Last edited by piRround; 01/13/19 09:34 AM. Reason: Spelling

Sandy

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I've used forScore on an iPad pro with an Airturn pedal for close to 3 years now for all my public performances and practice. It is fabulous.

I hate paper music now. When someone at a rehearsal or audition throws a paper score at me to sight read, I screw up because the pages won't turn when I press my left foot on the pedal! mad

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
I should also mention that iPad Pros are very robust. I sat on mine for 20 minutes the other day will no ill effects to either it or my ass.

Last edited by prout; 01/13/19 10:49 AM.
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by prout
I should also mention that iPad Pros are very robust. I sat on mine for 20 minutes the other day will no ill effects to either it or my ass.

Prout - As with all practice materials, always good to warm up before playing. - OneWatt

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by OneWatt
Originally Posted by prout

Prout - As with all practice materials, always good to warm up before playing. - OneWatt
Good one.
ha

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,273
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission