2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,914 guests, and 364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
P
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
Sorry to hear about your stress fractures, if it is too stiff don't play it too hard.

But I have to play hard to get the hammer to strike, otherwise I get no sound out of the piano.

I'm exaggerating (in case that wasn't obvious), but I've always found them stiff. Some pianists like that, though.

But the Shigerus . . . wow, I think the SK-6 or -7 is my dream piano. They are beyond amazing.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
[quote ]But I have to play hard to get the hammer to strike, otherwise I get no sound out of the piano. [/quote]

No you don't. So assuming that you are trained pianist; Pianos like a Shigeru, Bosendorfer or anything very smooth it is a rare luxury. Think about the practice rooms and venues where you play far worst pianos than ANY new piano in the in today's market. If what you said is true, all pianist will be crippled!!
Also I wonder about when you had the opportunity to try that many Kawai pianos GL GX and SK and got enough time playing so hard to the point you got stress fractures. So technically you blasted the Shigerus and then GX and GL and then you felt injured.(all in one sitting where??)

San Mateo Piano
Kawai Piano Dealer San Francisco Bay Area
www.sanmateopiano.com
P
P
Kurtmen, you're taking my comments very literally. I said that I was exaggerating, and I even quoted Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby to underscore that I was joking about the degree of stiffness.

Having said that, yes, I absolutely find them stiff.

I've played them in private homes, churches, and in a variety of showrooms. And I've also visited a Kawai factory store not too far from where I live (where I got to try the Shigerus).

Some pianists prefer stiff because it gives them more control.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
originally posted by 90x
I just finally have enough money saved to buy a nice piano, and I've found the process maddening. It probably doesn't help that the major dealer in my vicinity went out of business a couple years ago, so it's very difficult to find certain brands without flying to other states. But dealers are so tight-lipped about prices that I effectively have to buy a ticket and fly out there to get much information.

It'd be irresponsible of me to spend money on a plane ticket to try a piano unless I know how much it costs.

I assumed then you are in Huston? Kawai's factory store is in Huston... There are plenty of places to buy a piano in Huston or near Huston. Are you trolling?
Also I read on another post that you wrote, you had lessons as a kid, and now you are playing on a digital piano so you are getting back into it... now you play in churches and all kinds of places??

Last edited by Kurtmen; 01/07/19 11:29 PM.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
posted by 90x

I've played them in private homes, churches, and in a variety of showrooms.
So according to what you said, you spent a fortune in airplane tickets... so nothing left to buy a piano.

Trolling is not cool...

Last edited by Kurtmen; 01/07/19 11:40 PM.

San Mateo Piano
www.sanmateopiano.com
P
P
Kurtmen,

You just can't handle criticism of your brand, so you make these silly accusations of trolling and you creep my posts. It doesn't look good. This kind of stuff shows up in search results when people look up your business. If you're going to behave like that, you should at least do so anonymously when not representing your real-life identity and business.

Yes, the major piano dealer in the Houston area, Forshey, went out of business. They carried new and new-er used Estonias and Mason & Hamlin pianos. And I've found it extraordinarily difficult to find new-er used models of those pianos locally. No other local dealer is an authorized retailer of those models (new with some new-er used), other than Collora up in Dallas, which is a 5 hour drive or . . . you guessed it . . . a flight!

Yes, I took lessons for 10 years as a youth, and I've played continuously ever since then. During the course of those decades, I've played on countless pianos. Yes, in private homes, churches, and showrooms. Is that odd? More recently, yes, I've sought a piano teacher to take my playing to the next level, especially now I'll be buying a real piano.

Yes, I've begun looking nationally to find the right piano. Why is that controversial? I've saved a small fortune to buy a great piano, so I don't mind flying to find the right one, especially if I can get some price transparency before I buy a ticket. To illustrate, on PianoMart right now, a 2013 Shigeru Kawai SK-6 is selling for only $45,000.00. Your asking price is probably over $80,000.00, plus taxes and shipping. And that's fine! But, heck yes, it's definitely worth it for me to pay a couple hundred dollars on a plane ticket to check out a piano if it'll save me $40,000.00! Math is awesome.

A piano is a lifetime purchase, so spending money on plane tickets to find the right piano is a drop in the bucket, especially considering the potential savings.

Regarding Houston's piano market, I won't name any names, but the post-Forshey piano dealers in Houston (other than the official Kawai, Steinway, and Yamaha dealers) have been underwhelming. And I'm not the only one on this forum who has expressed this sentiment. Further, Houston's sales tax is exorbitant, so buying from a private seller--yes, even in another state--will save me thousands of dollars. I don't know why basic math is so controversial.

Yes, I own a weighted key digital pending my purchase of an acoustic. I bought it during undergrad and grad school because, like many students, I didn't have a whole lot of extra money or space to buy an acoustic. I just didn't have $60,000.00 of discretionary cash during those years. Sorry about that! Your snobbery about this is disheartening. Now, many years later, yes, I'm fortunate enough to have some significant discretionary cash and am shopping for an acoustic.

Yet this is all somehow trolling?

Methinks you are the troll.

Last edited by Piano90X; 01/08/19 11:47 AM.
P
P
And, regardless of any of that, Kawai pianos are still stiff.

Originally Posted by Piano90X
And, regardless of any of that, Kawai pianos are still stiff.

This has also been my experience with Kawai and it's too bad because I really like their tone.

J
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
Unobtanium Subscriber
6000 Post Club Member
J

Stiffness is friction in the action. A tech can regulate any make and model piano to correct that, but the work isn't cheap. Stiffness also goes away with playing, and high mileage pianos all tend to get too loose. So, it's probably best to start a little on the stiff side.

Surely there must be a university somewhere that has Kawai's in their practice rooms. Those would be the ones to try....

-- J.S.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Knabe Grand # 10927
Yamaha CP33
Kawai FS690
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Piano90X
Originally Posted by Kurtmen
The composite materials in the action allows for a high precision touch

Every single Kawai (other than Shigerus) that I've ever played on, is stiff.

RX, GX, GL. All of them. Harder than a diamond in an ice storm. I seriously think I got stress fractures in my wrist from one.

Shigerus, though, oh, heaven. Talk about precision touch! I felt I could get any tone out of it that I wanted. It was glorious.

I haven't had that experience at all, except with the old KGs.

Cunningham Studio grand; Yamaha CLP-645 Clavinova
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission