2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (brdwyguy, Carey, beeboss, Chris B, Cheeeeee, Dalem01, CharlesXX, 11 invisible), 1,892 guests, and 291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi there,

First post here after quite a few years of lurking!
I'm after a PDF app that can easily and cleanly present PDF music scores on my Microsoft Surface Screen, for use at home on the piano.

Im not after notation or any other features, just a clean display and with any luck, a nice simple page turn.

More 'business' oriented PDF readers such as Adobe etc are way too cluttered and not built for navigating at the piano.
Any help much appreciated!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
First of all, hello and welcome!

I'd very much like something like this too, so thanks for asking the question and I'll be watching the replies wink

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I use Drawboard PDF It's great for displaying and annotating scores. I pair mine with a bluetooth pedal for page turning.

"Playing the piano is my greatest joy...period."......JP
Originally Posted by cinemuso

More 'business' oriented PDF readers such as Adobe etc are way too cluttered and not built for navigating at the piano.

What do you mean by that?

Nearly everyone I've seen uses Adobe Reader in the full screen mode and does finger swipes to turn the pages.

What else do you need?

L
Online Content
L
I have happily used Musicreader and an Airturn pedal on the tablet section of my Surface Book for some time. I can swipe to turn pages if I wish instead at any time instead of using the pedal. The scores are input in PDF, a bit of a chore, but easily searchable in future. The screen normally shows just a small line of info at the bottom of the page - I find knowing the time useful - but that can be hidden. I prefer the portrait orientation, since the music appears normal size.

N
N
MobileSheets is another one.

Mark Dierauf, RPT
NH Pianos
Piano technician & rebuilder since 1978
www.nhpianos.com
Has anyone used Autoflip to automatically turn the pages? Seems a lot easier than fiddling with peddles.

1899 M&H C, 2015 Steinway D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nhpianos

I second this one.

It's not only a PDF reader, but also a whole music library organizer, with filters, search function, tagging, set lists, various page turn options, cropping and auto-cropping (to maximize screen space), variable page ordering, jump points (for repeats and da capos), bookmarks, music annotation tools (for fingering, text notes, highlights, etc.), library backup, cloud storage access, multi tablet usage and lots and lots of other features. And of course it is compatible with page turn pedals (AirTurn Duo in my case).

I have been using it for three years on an Amazon Fire tablet and now recently migrated to a surface tablet. It was very easy to migrate over my whole library and it also works great with the surface pen. I love this app and recommend it wholeheartedly - it is really worth the (low) price!

It is also available for Android and Amazon Fire tablets, so if you want to migrate at some point (or use an Android or Amazon tablet as a backup) you aren't locked in to Windows.

Last edited by JoBert; 12/29/18 09:47 AM.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Thanks nhpianos and Jobert, I will have to try that one.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
P
P
I have a 2-in-1 laptop and I just use Microsoft Edge (the built in web browser) to read pdf files. My vision is still good enough that I can use 2 page view (15.6 inch screen), at least in full screen view. I use a pedal switch to turn pages. Edge also has annotation features that you can use with a pen (just zoom in).

Maybe I'm just cheap but I don't like paying for software when I have a perfectly adequate solution that came with the operating system. I also use MuseScore for my notation needs. It's free and can export pdf files that look great.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by oldMH
Has anyone used Autoflip to automatically turn the pages? Seems a lot easier than fiddling with peddles.

I just had a look at this, really like what I'm seeing, except - I'm not very technical so I don't know how the app "learns" turning the pages, if it's not done with a pedal? Care to elaborate? smile

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sibylle
Originally Posted by oldMH

I just had a look at this, really like what I'm seeing, except - I'm not very technical so I don't know how the app "learns" turning the pages, if it's not done with a pedal? Care to elaborate? smile

From the app description:
It can account for variations in tempo as well as minor mistakes. Autoflip version 1.0 is optimized for solo performances using pianos and keyboards. Autoflip works with any sheet music in PDF format. You can enable automatic turning for each new piece by running it through a simple training session. A training session is simply you playing the piece and turning the pages! After that, all you have to do is play and Autoflip will take care of the turning.
So essentially, it is only useful for pieces that you can already play relatively well (only minor mistakes) and that you want to play through. As it says, it is optimized for performances. It isn't really useful during practice or for pieces where you still make too many mistakes.

Kawai Novus NV10
My amateur piano recordings on YouTube
Latest Recording: Always With Me (from Studio Ghibli: Spirited Away)
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by P3T3R
I have a 2-in-1 laptop and I just use Microsoft Edge (the built in web browser) to read pdf files. My vision is still good enough that I can use 2 page view (15.6 inch screen), at least in full screen view. I use a pedal switch to turn pages. Edge also has annotation features that you can use with a pen (just zoom in).

Maybe I'm just cheap but I don't like paying for software when I have a perfectly adequate solution that came with the operating system. I also use MuseScore for my notation needs. It's free and can export pdf files that look great.

It's ok to be cheap and what you do works just fine. As a matter of fact I did the same as you until this morning but I bought Mobilesheet. Looks like really nice software sometimes paying for convenience is the way to go.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
C
OP Offline
C
I worked that out too, just a function I wasnt aware of at first, but yeah, its actually fine swiping the pages in full screen mode. Thanks for the reply.

C
OP Offline
C
Thanks very much to everyone for welcome and the suggestions here, I will also give Mobilesheets a look. Turns out that MS Edge reader is probably enough for what I need.
With this and the scores on IMSLP, I think my sight reading is going to improve pretty quickly!

Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Bronze Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nhpianos

Mark,

Thanks for bringing MobileSheets to my attention. I have just paid £9.99 for the Pro version and installed it on my Galaxy Note Pro 12.2. What a great program and with so many features!

Ian

I'm all keyed up
2016 Blüthner Model A

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,302
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission