2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad) Piano Sight Reading
train piano sight reading with your iPhone or iPad
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
59 members (Burkey, c++, Carey, BachToTheFuture, Bluesy42, busa, 36251, 11 invisible), 1,106 guests, and 489 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
I have an interesting piano story to share. I recently was scouting the internet for information on Baldwin R 5’2” pianos and couldn’t find anything so I thought I would post this here in case one day someone runs into a similar situation.

This week I purchased what I was told is a Baldwin R 5’8” grand piano built in 1990. I loved the piano in the store. I thought the feel and sound were superior to the Yamaha 5’8” piano next to it in the store. I glanced at the serial number on my way to check out and it was R293297. The receipt indicated a Baldwin R 5’8” piano with the correct serial number.

The piano was delivered to my home the next day. I had measured exactly how much of the room the piano should take up in advance. As soon as the piano was delivered I knew something was up. It didn’t take up the space I thought so I got out a measuring tape. The piano measured from center of tail to the key front at 5’2”. As I’m looking at the plate near the tail I notice raised lettering that isn’t printed but rather part of the original casted plate that says M2.

I find no evidence of serial number tampering neither directly or by somehow removing the plate and repainting the whole thing. I also found a serial number underneath the piano that is the same with no evidence of tampering. Rather than tampering I thought most likely Baldwin later renamed a smaller piano an R but can’t find anything about this in a search.

So I contact Baldwin (and the piano dealer I bought it from of course). The piano dealer is baffled. I show him pictures and he shows his technicians. They are baffled.

There are a few small other details in there but the long and short is that based on the response I got from Baldwin, this is a 5’2” M2 model piano. It was built in 1991 and not restored or tampered with. It is the length of the piano that determines the model regardless of serial number stamping. The serial number is authentic and the piano was mistakenly stamped at the factory as an R model.

So for someone down the line in a similar predicament, I am sharing this... A serial number indicating a Baldwin R piano may not actually be an R model. Depending on the time period you may not see other obvious identifying markings and so to be certain you must measure the piano yourself. If you ever find a Baldwin R 5'2" piano, you have actually found an M model piano.

The dealer who sold it was in awe. He was helpful and provided a partial refund because the piano was shorter than expected. (Seeing as how I really like the piano and wanted to keep it.)

My web browser is going crazy. I will try and add pictures as follow up comments. Right now pictures are failing.

B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Mistakes are made sometimes, even in the factory. The "R" probably is one.

Semipro Tech
Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Obviously, there is no 5'2" R. Either this was a factory mistake, or someone at some point intentionally did this. The latter seems unlikely.

Mistakes happen, but I have never heard of this one, nebbinamak.

Enjoy the piano though. A 1991 Baldwin M is a nice piano.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
N
OP Offline
N
Yeah the saving grace on this is that I really love the piano, which made the whole situation easier.

Here is a link to the images on Imgur:

Baldwin M2 5'2" Piano, stamped as Baldwin R 5'8" model.

V
V
It does seem a little odd that the dealer would never have noticed the large "M" stamped into the tail end of the plate, since they are on all Baldwin models. However, the Baldwin M was one of the best small grands ever made, and since the dealer made it right with a price reduction, I, as a customer, would be fine with that.

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until Feb 18  2015
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nebinnamak
I really love the piano

Congratulations, and welcome to the Baldwin M club! thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

P
P
I think that one of the great things about the Baldwin M is now little space it takes up and how full it still sounds. It's quite telling that you thought it sounded comparable to a 5'8" Yamaha. I'd just consider it a bonus that an instrument you love leaves you a little extra space in your house. I know that's one of the things I love about mine.

Peter
1949 Baldwin M
currently working on Brahms op. 10 Ballades, f-minor sonata and 2nd concerto
Mendelssohn Songs Without Words and E minor Prelude and Fugue
whatever strikes my fancy today.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Insomniac pianists
by Emery Wang - 06/19/21 10:56 AM
First digital piano - F-701 vs P515
by Sebeto - 06/19/21 09:52 AM
Why do great concert halls buy new?
by Ppianissimo - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Kawai MP11SE successor thoughts
by Quatschmacher - 06/19/21 09:35 AM
Vintage Vibe piano
by adamcz - 06/19/21 08:40 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics207,601
Posts3,105,132
Members101,857
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2021 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission