2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
46 members (Cominut, Burkhard, 1200s, clothearednincompo, akse0435, busa, 36251, Davidnewmind, Dfrankjazz, 5 invisible), 1,227 guests, and 257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
B
OP Offline
B
Every week I go there and I have trouble playing it because it barely sounds like a piano. It's bright and tinny and cheap sounding. When I hit a key and the sound hits my ear, I don't associate it with a familiar sound so I make mistakes I don't make at home on my Yamaha U3. I also have a keyboard and I'm wondering if I should be practicing on that. That's how desperate I am. She's a fantastic teacher and a virtuoso so I really don't want to switch teachers. She lives in one of the biggest houses I've ever seen so I kind of assume that she can afford something better. She tells me she only paid $500 for it. Any suggestions? Brian

T
T
Well, then the only option is just to mention it. I really don't think it'll offend them, especially if what you're saying that she's a great teacher/virtuoso, it's more than likely she knows that too.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
If a piano teacher has a phone that costs more than their piano, they’re doing it wrong...

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi Brian
A lot of sympathy! While I think you should talk to her, I would Recommend that you tread carefully. I’m sure , since she plays that well, she knows her piano is a piece of junk, but I doubt she can afford any better. You are making an assumption that because she lives in a big house, she has income that will allow her to buy something better. I am doubtful,

Just tell her you are having problems playing on her piano and ask for her advice; maybe suggest bringing your digital to lessons?

I’m afraid you will not get her to upgrade, regardless of the reason.

J
J

Something is wrong with that picture if she is a legitimate teacher. There are teachers and there are real piano teachers with a passion to teach doing it on a decent instrument. It is important to play on an instrument that is at pitch or reasonably close to pitch, has a pleasant tone, reasonable touch etc. Also important is the need for the instrument to have pedals that work properly and hammers that are not deeply grooved and/or flattened on the strike point. How often has the piano been tuned ? do the unisons sound as one and how do octaves sound. She may be able to make a $500 piano sound good but its unfair to teach students on a poor instrument since they are learning ear training, how a properly tuned piano should sound. It may be time to interview another teacher. BTW what brand of piano and what size is it spinet / console ? studio ?

P
P
Perhaps it's a ploy on her part to get you to use everything in your power to make her awful piano sound good?

As a student, I went for a time to one of the 'big/famous' teachers (long dead) in London - who charged a fortune for lessons. She had the most DREADFUL piano - bits of key top missing, loose pedals, dreadful regulation, broken strings. I remember being stumped as to why she taught on such a nasty instrument - although I never asked.

Anyway, she was over-rated, and a really sour old bag - so I didn't stay with her for long in any case smile

Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
Silver Level
3000 Post Club Member
LOl this is funny. Contrast this to the thread with the person whose teacher insisted they buy a Steinway or they wouldn’t teach them anymore!

Maybe you can take your teacher shopping wink. Just kidding I don’t have an answer but it certainly is a twist.

Steinway A3
Boston 118 PE

YouTube

Working On
Chopin Nocturne E min
Bach Inventions

"You Can Never Have Too Many Dream Pianos" -Thad Carhart
P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
It's not your place to criticize her piano. She'll be offended and you'll no longer get her best teaching. Just put up with it, unless you want to put your money where your mouth is and actually buy her a better replacement piano.

That would still offend her, but she might accept the gift nonetheless.

Last edited by Peter K. Mose; 11/07/18 10:34 PM.
L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Make her come to your place or switch teachers.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
Originally Posted by Learux
Make her come to your place or switch teachers.

+1

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
you might have to pay her extra for lessons to cover the commuting time and vehicle use (bicycling distance would be ideal, because it seems your teacher isn't flush with €), but taking lessons on your piano appears to be the easiest solution.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
She may very well be highly offended, or tell you that you don't know what you're talking about. If you tell her that her piano is junk, she might assume you think that she doesn't know how to choose a piano, or that you know more about what makes a good instrument than she does. Many fine old pianos have changed hands for $500 or less.

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Tell her there are some really interesting threads on Pianoworld's Piano Forum right now.

P
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
P
Is she teachng you classical music interpretation, or is she teaching you jazz interpretation?

It makes a difference, and I say this as a professional classical pianist who listens, basically, only to jazz.

She lives in one of the biggest houses I've ever seen so I kind of assume that she can afford something better

You're probably right. But have you seen the rest of her house? Some teachers have a "teaching piano" quite separate from their personal piano. Although the quality differential can be quite large, the "teaching piano" usually isn't total junk if the personal piano is decent. Nice Steinway personal, decent Yamaha studio. New Grotrian personal, classic old Steinway studio. If the teaching piano is as bad as you describe, this is a very strong signal, no matter how good, or sweet, you think this teacher may be. The red light is flashing.

You can probably find a teacher who is just as good and just as compelling as this one in your area. One whose teaching piano isn't a barrier to effective progress. Start looking.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Granted, I'm using someone else's resources, but I always insist that my students get to play the better piano in my 2-piano teaching studios...since their tuition (combined with everyone's tax dollars) paid for it!

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel
B
OP Offline
B
Both

B
Bob Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
B
The size of the house is never an indicator of a good piano inside. Nor are the pair of Lexus SUV's in the driveway. Most people take offence if you give a negative opinion about their piano. "It's a good starter piano" is piano tech speak for "your piano sucks, and you should replace it".

Some teachers have "good starter pianos".

L
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
L
Her piano seems to be taking you to places you,ve never been .If
you suggest bringing your digital with you to lessons she may just
just agree to going to your home to teach you on your U3 .
Otherwise she may have some work done on it to improve the sound.
I cannot imagine these lessons can be creative on such a piano .
What type of piano is it ?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Why not say ' I find your piano really difficult to play (don't say the piano is junk) could we try a lesson on my piano instead and see how that works?'

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,185
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission